• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arguing citizen rights in regards to Church carry

paulswife

win some, lose some; after a heated email exchange with the ' powers that be' within my Church, i learned their no gun policy implementation was in direct relation to my insisting my right of carry be allowed there. the anti-gun position is intrenched, and quite a ways up the food chain there. any arguements i presented were futile. so i voted with my feet, tendered my resignation, and will now seek another Church that recognizes my rights in our locale.

Sorry to hear that. I hope that you find a church that will not take away your right to worship and carry.

LR Yote 312

McX,
Hve you looked into the Church of the Great Outdoors?

Cant think of too many members that are not armed in some way (rifle,pistol or bow).
Dont have to look very far to see the Beauty of The Great Spirit's work.
Farther in (the woods) ya go it usually more peaceful.

LR Yote

cleveland

Perhaps your gun doesn't fit their interpretation of Gods will. As I understand God's will, God does not like the weak and ignorant. After all, they tend to die sooner then the strong and prepared. That's just my person view.

Best of luck with finding a new place to worship.

M

McX

Wait a minute, I thought they had a school on site? If so, it's a moot point, isn't it?

I'd still be upset but can they even legally issue permission?

What denomination is this church?

the school is an add on original building, and is connected to, but not a part of-in my opinion, the sanctuary. i can access the sanctuary, via the main doors, and with a wisconsin permit, i would contend i am not on school grounds. but it's a moot point, i'm out of there.

Jimbok

Chruch carry

Its real simple.. We should carry where any LEO can carry period.

M

McX

sniffle, sniffle, i'm feeling sorry for myself today. i was cast out of the garden of eden, because i picked up and carried the handgun of knowledge. my God, my God, why hath thou forsaken me? fortunately for me, the yellow pages are full of Churches to consider. Maybe I'll find God hanging out at another one, maybe He'll be there with a .45 on His hip.

M

McX

wont say. privacy issues. All i can do is relay the experience. i'm getting damn tired of being shamed for what i know is right. i'm the one who always has to accomodate, to follow the rules, to be innocent of instigation, blah, blah, blah. i do this so my kids wont have to, but i tell ya................some days.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
I am going to try to distill my thoughts to simple terms:

Columbine was a gun free zone.
Virginia Tech was a gun free zone.
Post Offices are gun free zones.
Where do mass shootings take place.

Contrast/compare:

New Life Church had armed folks who stopped a heavily armed intruder.

My CCW instructor attends a church with 5,000 members. Of that number, around 1,000 are armed.

The criminal intent on felonious assault could care less about church policy. In the simplest terms; preventing church members from carrying only serves up worshippers as sacrificial lambs helpless against a slaughter. Such a policy is to invite trouble to this particular house of worship:

He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool [shall be] servant to the wise of heart. Prov 11:29

One cannot hope the whirlwind will pass simply by posting a sign. And he that ignores fact will inherit the wind.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

MKEgal

I replied on FB, will add some thoughts here...

:arrow:1) a church is private property, so they don't have any obligation to recognize your rights & you have no recourse other than not giving them money. (Thank goodness the church is not a gov't entity!!!)
Go ahead & point out the conflict between expecting to exercise their 1A right while denying your 2A right. Hypocritical of them.
Using scriptural examples could be useful & other people have given you lots.

They're running on fear & emotion, not logic, so you have to figure out a way to both make them see the stupidity of their position (a policy will stop a criminal from committing murder) AND make them more afraid of being vulnerable.
Making themselves more vulnerable will not stop a criminal.

:arrow:2) their concern, or rather the concern of the sheeple who have caused this mess, is likely to be based on fear for their safety.
They fear that you will harm them.
Even if they won't admit that, they fear that someone carrying a gun will harm them.
They hold the illogical belief that putting up a sign or making a policy will stop this potential harm.

I'd counter this by pointing out that criminals don't follow laws, & someone who's willing to rob or murder certainly won't be bothered by a church policy.
DO NOT say anything about a "sign on the door"!!!
Here's why:
a) if they don't post it, they'll have to tell each carrier they see that they're not welcome.
b) without posting, once CC is legal you can carry concealed.
c) they could actually read SB93 & meet the signage requirements, then nobody could carry there.

You could point out that laws & policies didn't stop massacres at VA Tech, NIU, Columbine, or the Brookfield church, but an armed parishoner who had volunteered to act as security that day stopped a murderer from killing people in Colorado Springs.

Also point out that if nobody is armed, the criminal intent on mass murder has control.
Find out what the average response time for police is in Racine.
That should scare them.

:arrow:3) It might be worth mentioning that unless there are metal detectors, anyone can ignore the church policy.
By requiring members to be defenseless, then not protecting them from criminals who will have ill intent, the church is increasing its liability. How good is their insurance?

HandyHamlet

Small, insignificant, angry little people on a power trip... I should feel sorry for them but instead I will laugh and mock them publicly. I am kind of shallow.

I'm sure the satisfaction of acceptance into your new "home", when you find it, will be worth the drama. And the cheeseburgers will never taste so good.

M

McX

I replied on FB, will add some thoughts here...

:arrow:1) a church is private property, so they don't have any obligation to recognize your rights & you have no recourse other than not giving them money. (Thank goodness the church is not a gov't entity!!!)
Go ahead & point out the conflict between expecting to exercise their 1A right while denying your 2A right. Hypocritical of them.
Using scriptural examples could be useful & other people have given you lots.

They're running on fear & emotion, not logic, so you have to figure out a way to both make them see the stupidity of their position (a policy will stop a criminal from committing murder) AND make them more afraid of being vulnerable.
Making themselves more vulnerable will not stop a criminal.

:arrow:2) their concern, or rather the concern of the sheeple who have caused this mess, is likely to be based on fear for their safety.
They fear that you will harm them.
Even if they won't admit that, they fear that someone carrying a gun will harm them.
They hold the illogical belief that putting up a sign or making a policy will stop this potential harm.

I'd counter this by pointing out that criminals don't follow laws, & someone who's willing to rob or murder certainly won't be bothered by a church policy.
DO NOT say anything about a "sign on the door"!!!
Here's why:
a) if they don't post it, they'll have to tell each carrier they see that they're not welcome.
b) without posting, once CC is legal you can carry concealed.
c) they could actually read SB93 & meet the signage requirements, then nobody could carry there.

You could point out that laws & policies didn't stop massacres at VA Tech, NIU, Columbine, or the Brookfield church, but an armed parishoner who had volunteered to act as security that day stopped a murderer from killing people in Colorado Springs.

Also point out that if nobody is armed, the criminal intent on mass murder has control.
Find out what the average response time for police is in Racine.
That should scare them.

:arrow:3) It might be worth mentioning that unless there are metal detectors, anyone can ignore the church policy.
By requiring members to be defenseless, then not protecting them from criminals who will have ill intent, the church is increasing its liability. How good is their insurance?

MKE leave this here, i'll be taking your words with me. apparently i havent walked yet. they've offered me a cheeseburger, negotiations continue. i have a modest plan. It's a cheeseburger from the hand of God no less, so it's hard to refuse. i'll let you know how thurs at 7 goes.

M

McX

Howdy Amigo!
I am going to try to distill my thoughts to simple terms:

Columbine was a gun free zone.
Virginia Tech was a gun free zone.
Post Offices are gun free zones.
Where do mass shootings take place.

dude, to me the whole planet is a gun free school zone................'cept for this little diner i know of.

M

McX

Geez, we reveal other places that don't support our God-given rights, surely a church should do as much. How about just telling us the denomination? God wants you to defend yourself and protect others.

i'm sorry Dave, i dont want to get smote down, or a plague of locusts, so i'll roll with it, and see where it goes. rights are apparently a new concept to some. i'll boogie for sure if i hear that it's for the children crap.

Big Dipper

i'm sorry Dave, i dont want to get smote down, or a plague of locusts, so i'll roll with it, and see where it goes. rights are apparently a new concept to some. i'll boogie for sure if i hear that it's for the children crap.

Well, if it's "for the children", they had better ban shepherd's crooks from the Christmas pageant too. Some kid might go berzerk and start using it to club the other kids (and I don't mean baby goats).

M

McX

well many things they havent considered; never mind my mug, and my wallet being there periodically, if i go others may come. and if i croak, who's coming to my funeral, and what you think they going to carry besides my dead butt? plus i bet they will stick a few in the collection plate. were around, and that's it- accept it. hold my funeral outside the school zone please.