• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first run-in with security

deadlifter

Today I had met qball54208 at Walmart for a little OC'ing, and it was my first chance to carry with a veteran of it. I'd like to thank him for taking time out of his day to talk with me and answer any questions I had.

We had a trouble free walk through Walmart. I didnt find what was looking for in electronics, but I digress.

We parted in the parking lot after a 5 minute conversation where I asked the best way to handle being asked to leave a store, or questions from people.

So we each went our separate ways. I off to Woodmans. I was picking up some steaks and chips for a cookout at home and on my way to checkout when a plain clothes security guard came up to me.

He was very friendly, said I realize open carry is legal, but we noticed some of the kids and people giving some strange looks, and he asked if I could put the gun back in my vehicle. I said I was under the impression Woodmans was fine with it, and that I was on my way to check out, and asked if I could just check out and I'll leave. He said thats fine.

I left him to go to checkout, turned around, caught up with him and asked if this means Im not allowed to carry anymore, or just this one time. He said he's not sure, that he would ask managment, but that there was no management there today. He said stop by the front desk, I'll meet you up there and get your number and have management call. Fine I said.. so I went to check out, he was right next to me to go to the front desk.

THen a manager comes up, says I dont know what he said to you, but Woodmans is fine with open carry. We know its legal and its our policy to allow it. :lol:

It seems they have outside security, from what I gather, and that outside security isnt quite up to par with Woodmans standards.

I'll post the audio after the cookout. Not much to listen to, but nice to hear the manager tell me its ok, and that they have no problem with it.

I think it would be nice to have people email Woodmans with some positive feedback and let them know we appreciate their stance, and will continue to support them. I know I will.

hardballer

Glad to hear it was resolved for you. Woodman's booted me and my wife out in January of '10. It was resolved a day later with Woodman's changing their policy to reflect state law. The archives have a transcript of my conversation with the policy maker at Woodman's and the original story is retold here.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...dman-s-NO-GUNS-ALLOWED!!!&highlight=woodman's

Because of a concerted effort that crossed state lines and involved WCI and ICarry, Woodman's saw the wisdom and the next time we were at Woodman's, we were welcomed by the very same managers that booted us the first time. Great effort on the part of all involved and and huge thank you to Woodman's.

Glad it was a positive experience for you, it certainly was for my wife and I on several levels...

Jimbok

FYI Woodmans

LOL FYi Woodmans Kicks a** I love it

Today I had met qball54208 at Walmart for a little OC'ing, and it was my first chance to carry with a veteran of it. I'd like to thank him for taking time out of his day to talk with me and answer any questions I had.

We had a trouble free walk through Walmart. I didnt find what was looking for in electronics, but I digress.

We parted in the parking lot after a 5 minute conversation where I asked the best way to handle being asked to leave a store, or questions from people.

So we each went our separate ways. I off to Woodmans. I was picking up some steaks and chips for a cookout at home and on my way to checkout when a plain clothes security guard came up to me.

He was very friendly, said I realize open carry is legal, but we noticed some of the kids and people giving some strange looks, and he asked if I could put the gun back in my vehicle. I said I was under the impression Woodmans was fine with it, and that I was on my way to check out, and asked if I could just check out and I'll leave. He said thats fine.

I left him to go to checkout, turned around, caught up with him and asked if this means Im not allowed to carry anymore, or just this one time. He said he's not sure, that he would ask managment, but that there was no management there today. He said stop by the front desk, I'll meet you up there and get your number and have management call. Fine I said.. so I went to check out, he was right next to me to go to the front desk.

THen a manager comes up, says I dont know what he said to you, but Woodmans is fine with open carry. We know its legal and its our policy to allow it. :lol:

It seems they have outside security, from what I gather, and that outside security isnt quite up to par with Woodmans standards.

I'll post the audio after the cookout. Not much to listen to, but nice to hear the manager tell me its ok, and that they have no problem with it.

I think it would be nice to have people email Woodmans with some positive feedback and let them know we appreciate their stance, and will continue to support them. I know I will.