• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

non resident LTCF Lancaster County

bed92186

Family will be vacationing to Gettysburg in a couple of weeks. My wife and I hold SC CWPs. I have a non resident Pa permit I received my mail last year. I have read that Pa no longer issues by mail. My wife however does not. I have read that Lancaster County issues LTCF within minutes. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Dreamer

The only reason your wife would need a license would be if she was transporting a firearm in a vehicle or CCing. OC is 100% legal in PA without any permit or license, if you are on foot (and are not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm).

I have a Center County issues PA LTCF, and am a non-resident. I got mine about 2.5 years ago, and I'm NOT pleased with the new policy of not issuing or renewing them by mail. I'm going to have to make a BIG trip to central PA next summer to renew my LTCF in person, and it's almost not worth it.

I don't know what the State was thinking when they passed this new policy. From what I understand, this "no applications or renewals by mail" policy was pretty much set into motion by the people in Philly government, who don't like the idea of people getting PA LTCFs in "their city"...

The fact that Center County was bringing in hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional revenues with their LTCF program was probably a source of sour grapes for Philly too.

Anyway,, if your wife wants to CC or carry in the car in PA, your only option may be to get a permit while you're there. I don't know about Lancaster County though--they may be one of the counties that requires all sorts of silly extra things like letters of recommendation, proof of property ownership in the county, or residence of blood relatives--which are ALL violations of the PA Statute, BTW...

Good luck...