• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Antique .44 Replica Transport.

stainless1911

Banned
My friend came over today to show me his new .44 Black powder. He said it was an 1847, but I think its a replica. It was loaded, but didn't have the caps in place, so it couldnt be fired. He had it in a case with a BP rifle in the trunk, no CPL, so I was wondering if what he was doing was legal.

Onnie

My friend came over today to show me his new .44 Black powder. He said it was an 1847, but I think its a replica. It was loaded, but didn't have the caps in place, so it couldnt be fired. He had it in a case with a BP rifle in the trunk, no CPL, so I was wondering if what he was doing was legal.

is this what you were looking for

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37706-31579--,00.html

Transporting Firearms, Crossbows, and Bows and Arrows

These rules apply whether your vehicle is parked, stopped, moving or is on private or public property. Firearms must be unloaded in the barrel, and all arrows must be in a quiver when a hunter is afield outside the legal hunting hours.

At all times when carried in or on a motor vehicle, including snowmobiles:

Rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading and other firearms must be unloaded in both barrel and magazine and enclosed in a case or carried in the trunk of a vehicle.

Crossbows, slingshots, and bows and arrows must be enclosed in a case or unstrung or carried in the trunk of a vehicle.

At all times, when carried in or on an ORV:

Rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading and other firearms must be unloaded in both barrel and magazine and enclosed in a case or equipped with and made inoperative by a manufactured keylocked trigger-housing mechanism.

Crossbows, slingshots, and bows and arrows must be enclosed in a case or unstrung.

At all times, when carried in or on a motor-propelled boat or sailboat:

Rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading and other firearms must be unloaded in both barrel and magazine when the motor is operating or the boat is under sail.

Firearms may not be loaded until the forward momentum of the boat has ceased.

Exception: These rules do not apply to a pistol carried under authority of a concealed pistol license or properly carried under authority of a specific exception from the requirement of a concealed pistol license. See Statewide Handgun Regulations.

A percussion cap muzzleloading longarm is considered unloaded if the percussion cap is removed. A flintlock muzzleloading longarm is considered unloaded if the cock is left down and the pan is open. Black powder handguns must be transported as stated above. A muzzleloading firearm that has an electric ignition system is considered unloaded if the battery is removed.

i cant find the specific law on it, but if I read this right, a long-gun is ok with the cap removed and is consider unloaded but a pistol must have both cap and power/bullet removed

its all seems to be DNR regulations

Last edited: