• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hotel safes for handguns?

TFred

I have a Winchester EV400 handgun safe, but it broke. Apparently it wasn't designed to be opened twice a day by folks who regularly carry.

I just returned home from a vacation, and the cabin I was in had one of those "hotel safes". The particular model was a card swipe, but they also make them with the programmable key-entry locks.

Anybody have any thoughts on how these would hold up for a long term, multiple-use-per-day lifetime?

Models like these:

Protex BG-20

Protex BG-34

Sentry HL100ES

Any thoughts appreciated.

TFred

Dreamer

I have 2 portable safes--a Sentry and a Honeywell that I use in my vehicle and when traveling. I put a bicyle cable lock through the handle, and lock it to the tie-downs in my car, or the seat rails, or to something strong when I'm in a dwelling other than my own house...

They are both key-locks only--with no electronic crap to deal with, and seem to be pretty durable. I've had the Honeywell for about 3 years as my "car safe" and it gets opened and closed, locked and unlocked several times every day, and is still secure and strong...

I bought them both at a "Big Lots" for a substantial discount, but you can get similar ones at WalMart or Target for under $60...

TFred

I have 2 portable safes--a Sentry and a Honeywell that I use in my vehicle and when traveling. I put a bicyle cable lock through the handle, and lock it to the tie-downs in my car, or the seat rails, or to something strong when I'm in a dwelling other than my own house...

They are both key-locks only--with no electronic crap to deal with, and seem to be pretty durable. I've had the Honeywell for about 3 years as my "car safe" and it gets opened and closed, locked and unlocked several times every day, and is still secure and strong...

I bought them both at a "Big Lots" for a substantial discount, but you can get similar ones at WalMart or Target for under $60...
I'm really looking for something I can get into without a key. When my EV400 broke, I was reduced to using the back-up key... I don't want to, and in reality, I know I will not, "always" have a key with me in the house.

TFred

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

I recently bought one of the safes from here http://www.center-of-mass.com/

I got the large model with the large hinge. They make them in keyed and with a combo lock. It fits perfectly under my car seat ('06 Toyota Corolla). The cable is pretty wimpy, but I'm hoping that the perp doesn't show up with bolt cutters. Being able to conceal it under the car seat helps too. I'd highly recommend it for the price.

In the large size, I can fit a full size 1911 and a magazine. I could probably squeeze my ipod nano in there too. I can fit my gun, an extra mag, and my wallet in there when I go to the rec center as long as I remove the foam padding.

EDIT: I was undecided on whether to go with the key or combo version. I decided on the key version only because it might be hard working the combo lock when it's dark outside. I didn't want to risk turning on the light inside the car since that might alert someone in a parking lot.

Last edited: