• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Newb - WI OC Holster Question

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
Pardon my newness

Does WI require straps/snaps of any type?

I don't carry in my area (truly no need), but I am in the Milwaukee areas pretty often.

Looking forward to making it to a meet up soon

LR Yote 312

To the best of my knowledge....No, the State doesnt have a minimum holster requirement.

Many of the members here, DO prefer some type of retention holster in the
event of a gun grab.

Spend some time looking,trying and wearing different types that fit your side arm
BEFORE you buy.
And keep in mind that just because it was made to fit your sidearm....doesnt mean it was made to fit you/your body.

Also keep in mind that just because its some elite tacticool brand and expensive doesnt mean its worth anything.

If your side arm is parkerized and your concerned about its appearence avoid a kydex holster. You will get quite abit of holster wear from the plastic.

Leather is good....but not the best thing for those striker fired pistols with no safety.
Look a few thread pages back,A guy had an AD while puttin his seat belt on.

Oh...an if ya find a kydex paddle holster for a full size 1911 that doesnt bite,pinch or jab
while it has a cocked and locked full size 1911 in it....let me know.

Why I still own a paddle holster after a 4.5 hour bike trip...I dont know.

LR Yote

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the reply

I like the holster I have, just needed to make suse it's legal here.

I'm prior USMC, so I'm pretty well trained in handling ;)

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
"Look a few thread pages back,A guy had an AD while puttin his seat belt on."

I hope he was a LEO

littlewolf

I use a Tagua Leather thumb break for my XD Tactical and a Black Hawk level 2 SERPA for my 1911 officer mod.
Both work great. You have to try the holsters out to see what you like.

deadlifter

I also use a lvl 2 Serpa Blackhawk for my Springfield 1911, 5" barrel

I use it with the belt clip, not the paddle, and I find it very comfortable.

My thoughts are, if youre worried about the appearance and finish of your gun, buy a different one to carry. They will get some wear on em.

Wolf1477

My thoughts are, if youre worried about the appearance and finish of your gun, buy a different one to carry. They will get some wear on em.

Ya got that right, but, you can alway send 'em in to be refinished if you wanted 'em to look sparkly and unused again.

I also use the Blackhawk Serpa CQC ($35 @ Midway), in about a 4 - 4:30 position canted fully forward, for my 1911. It's fairly comfortable and the gun's definitely not going anywhere...hell, with the paddle you dang near have to take your pants off to get the holster off.

Outdoorsman1

For my XD-40 I use a Liberty (Nylon?) side OWB holster that can be used on either right or left side. It has a (wide velcro) retention strap with a "snap" release that is positioned slightly on the body side of the holster (not easliy accessable by the general public) and exactly wher my thumbs lands when I draw the pistol, making for easy (fast) release with my thumb. It also has a handy "Mag Pouch" on the front side of the holster with a wide velcro Mag cover strap. I kinda like it....

As the OP already comfirmed he has a holster and experiance, I apologize for turning this into a "My Holster Is"...thread.

I don't carry in my area (truly no need), but I am in the Milwaukee areas pretty often.

I gotta say that I DO respect your decision when and where to carry as it is part of your rights that we all fight for, but I will also say that I often carry where there is truly no need out of habit, a chance to inform the uniformed, and totally excercise what rights I (we) have left.

"Just Sayin...."

Finally, I thank you sir for your service and all the sacrifices you have made to insure my rights and that the American way of life be maintained... You have my gratitude and respect.

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

qball54208

Well Howdy neighbor! I carry an XD 45 5" Tactical using a Blackhawk Level 2 SERPA holster, you can either use the paddle or belt attachment, I prefer the paddle coupled w/a good heavy duty belt. Yes the paddle does require me to wear a t-shirt so that it does not rub bare skin. I have noticed a little bit of wear on the top portion of the slide (no biggie yet)
Blackhawk IMHO is a good reliable holster, I have had it catch on my door frame at home and on my truck, no stress cracks visible...yet.
And welcome to the Forum! Ever make your way to Green Bay, PM me and we could neet up, I live just minutes away from the 54/57 & 41 split.

Interceptor_Knight

Better to have and not need than need and not have. Door County is not immune from violent crime.

Thanks for the reply

I like the holster I have, just needed to make suse it's legal here.

I'm prior USMC, so I'm pretty well trained in handling ;)

Statutes are silent on holsters but retention is important at all times when carrying. I saw NDs by Marines with M9s so the Eagle Globe and Anchor is no guarantee of being proficient.... ;)

Last edited: