• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Debating on OC or not.

estcrh

So what do you open carry cowboys do when you come across a gun free school zone? Do you enter knowing that its your Constitutional right to go were ever you want with your gun out in the open? No, I forgot, you just DRIVE to nice safe places were you can walk around with your gun showing and run back to your computer to report on how brave you were that day. Oh I open carried at Wal Mart today..look at what I can do!!!!

Lets see you do that in my neighborhood without you ID you big talk do nothings. You just use this forum to vent your anti government agenda, while some people actually NEED to carry a firearm to keep from becoming the next VICTIM.
There is NO LEGAL WAY to enter a gun free school zone without a concealed permit so what do you brave cowboys do when you come to one, either break the law or run off, one or the other if you do not have a concealed permit.

ostrch

I obviously meant that to avoid being harassed while armed in La. you would need to have your weapon CONCEALED and have a concealed permit, no were did I state that having a open weapon and a concealed permit would keep you from being harassed. If you can not comprehend simple statements you should not be giving advise to ANYONE.

Just my personal opinion based on my experience. if you can get your concealed permit then it is a good idea to have it on you even if you plan on open carrying all the time.

barf

OP, my advice for OC-ing in Jefferson Parish is to go about your business as you would normally do. Know the laws relevant to the area and situation where you will be. Preparation, knowledge and self-confidence in knowing what you're doing is legal are all key. Always carry a small voice recorder and have it on or at the ready to document anything that shouldn't happen to a law-abiding citizen and be able & willing to follow-up with your local government if you are wronged. I personally don't carry a driver's license when I OC because I'm not driving when I do. If asked by LEO for personal identification, I will state my name and address as required by law - I certainly don't want to impede any investigation they may be conducting.

Bottom line - know the law and be a responsible citizen.

Barf out.

estcrh

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Personal attack
If you do not have a concealed permit on you when open carrying and you enter a gun free school zone you are either breaking the law by open carrying or by concealing you gun with out a permit, oh I forgot, your one of those Wal Mart cowboys who thinks your so brave because you went shopping with your wife while you open carried and has never open carried for real.

georg jetson

Hey ****** ***, if you do not have a concealed permit on you when open carrying and you enter a gun free school zone you are either breaking the law by open carrying or by concealing you gun with out a permit, oh I forgot, your one of those Wal Mart cowboys who thinks your so brave because you went shopping with your wife while you open carried and has never open carried for real.

This has been clarified before... for the benefit of new readers, I'll clarify it again...

Ocing is a protected right and is not unduly regulated by the state gfsz law. See...
RS 14:95.6 B(5)
http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78745

However, the FED gfsz 18 USC 922 (q)(2)makes an exception as follows...
see... http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/922.html

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

So...

There is NO FEDERAL requirement to have the "license" on the person while in the gfsz. There is also NO requirement to have a CC permit on one's person when OCing. So... according to FED and STATE law, one only needs to ACQUIRE a cc license to comply with both fed and state law while OCing in a gfsz.

CAUTION!!! It is almost a certainty that officer friendly will NOT have this level of understanding of the law. The chances of having an inconvenient encounter will increase if one OCs in a gfsz, particularly if one leaves the cc permit at home... be prepared to fight the battle.

Last edited:

georg jetson

OP, my advice for OC-ing in Jefferson Parish is to go about your business as you would normally do. Know the laws relevant to the area and situation where you will be. Preparation, knowledge and self-confidence in knowing what you're doing is legal are all key. Always carry a small voice recorder and have it on or at the ready to document anything that shouldn't happen to a law-abiding citizen and be able & willing to follow-up with your local government if you are wronged. I personally don't carry a driver's license when I OC because I'm not driving when I do. If asked by LEO for personal identification, I will state my name and address as required by law - I certainly don't want to impede any investigation they may be conducting.

Barf out.

Haven't seen you post in a while Barf... glad to see you're still with us.

Daylen

This has been clarified before... for the benefit of new readers, I'll clarify it again...

Ocing is a protected right and is not unduly regulated by the state gfsz law. See...
RS 14:95.6 B(5)
http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78745

However, the FED gfsz 18 USC 922 (q)(2)makes an exception as follows...
see... http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/922.html

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

So...

There is NO FEDERAL requirement to have the "license" on the person while in the gfsz. There is also NO requirement to have a CC permit on one's person when OCing. So... according to FED and STATE law, one only needs to ACQUIRE a cc license to comply with both fed and state law.

CAUTION!!! It is almost a certainty that officer friendly will NOT have this level of understanding of the law. The chances of having an inconvenient encounter will increase if one OCs in a gfsz, particularly if one leaves the cc permit at home... be prepared to fight the battle.

A CC permit would only be useful in the federal gfsz if it is for allowing carry in a school zone. For instance I would be worried about using a regular MS permit in a gfsz because it does not provide for carry in one. Thankfully MS law goes against federal law on the gfsz and allows for carry in the vehicle even within the 1000ft radius.

georg jetson

A CC permit would only be useful in the federal gfsz if it is for allowing carry in a school zone. For instance I would be worried about using a regular MS permit in a gfsz because it does not provide for carry in one. Thankfully MS law goes against federal law on the gfsz and allows for carry in the vehicle even within the 1000ft radius.

There are so many things wrong with this post... and it's only a few sentences long. How is that possible!?!?

First off, does MS mean Mississippi??!!! Cause... this is the Louisiana forum.

AND even if it was Ms., state law in this case DOES NOT supersede FEDERAL law. So... IF you're in MS. and you THINK you can carry according to STATE law by having your LOADED firearm anywhere near you in a car in a fed gfsz, then you may find the FEDERAL prosecutor disagreeing with you STRENUOUSLY!! UNLESS, of course, you have a MS. PERMIT.

WHat's a "regular" MS permit anyways???

C'mon people... pay attention to what you're posting!!

turbodog

Barf out.

First off, Welcome Back Barf!
I for one, have missed your commentary here.

To the OP: Jefferson Parish SO has been known for it's strongarm tactics ever since Harry Lee took office and it hasn't changed since he died. If you choose to OC there, nothing at all may happen...or you might get a reaction in force.
I won't waste time repeating the advice you've been given, but it's good advice and worth following anywhere you choose to OC.

Luck to ya brother.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
His real FORUM name you moron, its obvious he is a forum member who picked a NEW name similar to mine.

images