• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO encounter in southaven at the malco

thearmysredneck

well long story short, im at the malco.

him, have a permit for that?
me, its not concealed,
him, its policy we ask.
me, yes here it is.
him, i need you to take it to your car.
me, no im not doing anything wrong.
him, we dont allow carrying in the theator,
me, theres no sighnage concerning waepons.
him, well i still would rather you take it to your car.
me, no, im not breaking the law, and if they see it and sell me a ticket and grant me entrance, its implied concent.
him, were not worried about you its the other people.
me, well me too thats why i have it! for defence of me and my family if need be, how about i cover it up while im inside so you dont get calls to the station.
him, will you do that.
me, sure.

so i untucked my shirt to cover it and we parted ways,

heres a more detailed video i recorded on if if interested ita about 10min long if you care to watch..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NpN869E4SE

MSRebel54

well long story short, im at the malco.

him, have a permit for that?
me, its not concealed,
him, its policy we ask.
me, yes here it is.
him, i need you to take it to your car.
me, no im not doing anything wrong.
him, we dont allow carrying in the theator,
me, theres no sighnage concerning waepons.
him, well i still would rather you take it to your car.
me, no, im not breaking the law, and if they see it and sell me a ticket and grant me entrance, its implied concent.
him, were not worried about you its the other people.
me, well me too thats why i have it! for defence of me and my family if need be, how about i cover it up while im inside so you dont get calls to the station.
him, will you do that.
me, sure.

so i untucked my shirt to cover it and we parted ways,

heres a more detailed video i recorded on if if interested ita about 10min long if you care to watch..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NpN869E4SE

You are one cool f*****g dude! I can't wait to meet you in Oxford in August! I mean damn, we're just good ole Mississippi boys aren't we? We're definitely going to show them what it's all about. There's something in the air, and it smells like freedom!

10-79

Man, thumbs up on that one!
Surprised the cop was willing to oblige you. It's usually nothing short of hostile with the leos at the malco, what, with all the hood rats running around it. Rumor had it that the cops camp out the roof with a sniper rifle, lolz.. But, SPD didn't try to cite any laws whatsoever? Is there really a town that might actually have an educated force??

MSRebel54

Man, thumbs up on that one!
Surprised the cop was willing to oblige you. It's usually nothing short of hostile with the leos at the malco, what, with all the hood rats running around it. Rumor had it that the cops camp out the roof with a sniper rifle, lolz.. But, SPD didn't try to cite any laws whatsoever? Is there really a town that might actually have an educated force??

Well, see the cool thing is, that now that we KNOW, there IS no laws to cite. And I'll have to give this forum and all you guys credit for that. Up until now, I've always carried concealed, but hey bring it on, I'm carrying openly now! Like the man said, there are many reasons to open carry. We keep this stuff up, we might even eventually get Constitutional carry passed!

I mean I'm having a real good feeling that we're making progress here.

thearmysredneck

Well I don't know about SPD with snipers posted up there but it wouldn't take Mich to find out but he wasn't a jerk so I was polite and that was probably the key to the whole situation

Daylen

Just remember to cover your rear with a permit, even though its not required constitutionally, and don't get arrested.

Cornelius

I'd be carfeul if i were you, I had a similiar encounter at the malaco in madison. So i contacted the corporate office and they sent me a reply stating that they have a sign/board with the code of conduct inside the theatre and that it is their company policy that firearms are not allowed. Just letting you know what I found out months ago whn the Freddy movie came out, therefore I decided not to patronize their theatres anymore.

MKEgal

Cornelius said:
corporate office and they sent me a reply stating that they have a sign/board with the code of conduct inside the theatre and that it is their company policy that firearms are not allowed
Unless it's conspicuous before you buy your ticket, I'd say that policy is unenforcable, or at best they could return your $ & throw you out. And does your state have required signage for "gun free" zones?

MSRebel54

Unless it's conspicuous before you buy your ticket, I'd say that policy is unenforcable, or at best they could return your $ & throw you out. And does your state have required signage for "gun free" zones?

I'm going to agree. 45-9-101 CLEARLY states a sign must be posted that is visible within 10 feet of the entrance. You can't wait until you get inside to figure out that you can't come inside.

Of course that doesn't matter, a LEO is going to arrest you if he wants to, whether or not he knows the law. I've recently been told that in no uncertain terms. They will sort it out later. Presumably when you go before Hizzoner.

You can sometimes talk sense to the officer, but be aware, they can always arrest you just because they want to. They are assured they can do this and be backed up by the courts. AND their department. I've had a few long conversations with a LEO buddy of mine lately, and I've learned some things I didn't know. I'm not nearly as cocky as I was a month ago simply by reading the code. He said that quoting code to an officer is like quoting Russian to a Southern Redneck. It would not make any difference, unless you were talking to a REAL informed officer.

Basically, my friend the LEO, just said BLANK YOU, we'll just go to court and figure it out. He wasn't even worried about his job, or a false arrest, or anything LIKE that!

That's were we are, my friends.

georg jetson

I'm going to agree. 45-9-101 CLEARLY states a sign must be posted that is visible within 10 feet of the entrance. You can't wait until you get inside to figure out that you can't come inside.

Of course that doesn't matter, a LEO is going to arrest you if he wants to, whether or not he knows the law. I've recently been told that in no uncertain terms. They will sort it out later. Presumably when you go before Hizzoner.

You can sometimes talk sense to the officer, but be aware, they can always arrest you just because they want to. They are assured they can do this and be backed up by the courts. AND their department. I've had a few long conversations with a LEO buddy of mine lately, and I've learned some things I didn't know. I'm not nearly as cocky as I was a month ago simply by reading the code. He said that quoting code to an officer is like quoting Russian to a Southern Redneck. It would not make any difference, unless you were talking to a REAL informed officer.

Basically, my friend the LEO, just said BLANK YOU, we'll just go to court and figure it out. He wasn't even worried about his job, or a false arrest, or anything LIKE that!

That's were we are, my friends.

Really!!?? Ask him if he cares AFTER you've won your lawsuit and have successfully IMPOVERISHED him. Then again... who cares if he cares... I'm quite sure the head of his department will...

Yes, cops are getting quit ballsy these days... it's because we've been TOO complacent when it comes to enforcing the law on THEM.

MSRebel54

Really!!?? Ask him if he cares AFTER you've won your lawsuit and have successfully IMPOVERISHED him. Then again... who cares if he cares... I'm quite sure the head of his department will...

Yes, cops are getting quit ballsy these days... it's because we've been TOO complacent when it comes to enforcing the law on THEM.

Well, we usually don't agree Mr. Jetson, but I couldn't agree more, after my conversations with my LEO friend.

MilProGuy

I'm new on this forum.

Could someone direct me to a link of the Mississippi law that states it is legal to open carry?

I've been conceal carrying with the Mississippi Firearms Permit for about 18 months, but have not seen anything concretely stating that open carry is permitted.

I will appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!

MSRebel54

I'm new on this forum.

Could someone direct me to a link of the Mississippi law that states it is legal to open carry?

I've been conceal carrying with the Mississippi Firearms Permit for about 18 months, but have not seen anything concretely stating that open carry is permitted.

I will appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!

Ok, how can I put this, since you've asked the question three times in three different threads. If you have a permit, and you want to open carry, then DO IT! There is no where in the law that says "open carry in Mississippi is LEGAL" , if that's what you're looking for. But that doesn't mean it's ILLEGAL. I mean what, are we going to wait for the government to tell us everything is LEGAL before we think about doing it? Not on my watch anyway.

MilProGuy

Ok, how can I put this, since you've asked the question three times in three different threads. If you have a permit, and you want to open carry, then DO IT! There is no where in the law that says "open carry in Mississippi is LEGAL" , if that's what you're looking for. But that doesn't mean it's ILLEGAL. I mean what, are we going to wait for the government to tell us everything is LEGAL before we think about doing it? Not on my watch anyway.

Yep...I've asked the same question three times on three different threads. That's because I came to this forum hoping to get some definitive answers and not just folk's opinions.

So far no one can show me definitively in the law where open carry in Mississippi is legal.

Without open carry being legal, I'd be stupid to slap my OSS .45 on my hip and walk down mainstreet Southaven, MS and not expect to be hassled by law enforcement.