Thread: Filming LEO laws in MO

Filming LEO laws in MO

What are the laws/procedure for filming Law enforcement in MO? Plus are there any bills in the house or senate proposed to ban filming like other states such as Illinois?

Interesting and disturbing read.

http://m.gizmodo.com/5553765/are-cameras-the-new-guns

Wink

There are no laws that I know of. I know it's legal though.

Procedure is as follows:
    1. Pull out camera
    2. Hit record
    3. Hit stop

Quote Originally Posted by cash50 View Post
    There are no laws that I know of. I know it's legal though.

Procedure is as follows:
    1. Pull out camera
    2. Hit record
    3. Hit stop
    4. Police take camera and bash it into the pavement.

5. Hide SIM card in mouth. Retain legal counsel. Start wish list.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/06/0...#ixzz1OY4gt0AD
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Do you have to inform the officer he's being recorded? Do any of you guys think the no picture/no filming laws will catch on in MO or other states other such as Illinois?

No and No.

Missouri is a single party consent state = one party of an interaction needs to consent. If the officer is interacting with you, you = one of the parties.

I don't see any reason this will change in Missouri.

I've talked to some cops they say taping them endangers them and others that have told me they are fine being taped. If you are with in the law as an officer than you shouldn't have a problem being recorded. I wouldn't if I were a cop.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Filming cops doing their job is bad, they think their soul will be sucked into the camera, that is why they don't like it.
    You ARE assuming that the cops you are videoing do indeed still posses a soul!!
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalm 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Pro 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Quote Originally Posted by Richieg150 View Post
    You ARE assuming that the cops you are videoing do indeed still posses a soul!!
    ooh low blow there Richie. I can confirm a couple that I know that DO have souls.

Cool No problem with filming

1. LEO films people during traffic stops and other events all the time without informing people. Why should they be above what they do themselves?

2. Any GOOD LEO shouldn't have a problem with being filmed. If they have a problem they are probably a BAD cop and should have their donut taken away. The whole argument about not filming them for everyones safety is bull, I bet the cops that beat Rodney King support not being filmed.

Quote Originally Posted by cash50 View Post
    ooh low blow there Richie. I can confirm a couple that I know that DO have souls.
    That was meant in jest, but................
    Every human being has a soul, its just that SOME LEO's, act as if they are possesed,or controled by something not good....
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalm 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Pro 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysann22 View Post
    What are the laws/procedure for filming Law enforcement in MO? Plus are there any bills in the house or senate proposed to ban filming like other states such as Illinois?

Interesting and disturbing read.

http://m.gizmodo.com/5553765/are-cameras-the-new-guns
    Pardon me for bumping an old thread.....

but does anyone here know what the laws in Missouri are re: filming officers while on duty? Specifically referring to this article....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rding-him.html

I am wondering if state law has changed there since this thread was created, but I can't find anything verifying that it's illegal there.

Thanks.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylee View Post
    Pardon me for bumping an old thread.....

but does anyone here know what the laws in Missouri are re: filming officers while on duty? Specifically referring to this article....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rding-him.html

I am wondering if state law has changed there since this thread was created, but I can't find anything verifying that it's illegal there.

Thanks.
    Perfectly legal insofar as if one does not actually interfere with the officers.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5676940.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Gillk Gilk Gilk Gilk Gilk Gilk

OP needs to read up on Gilk.

I had a cop the other day say "hey, you can't record me" to which I replied "well, if you think that then why don't you try and stop me?"

The whoosie refused to engage me further. I was disappointed.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    I have read a lot about this. I have found many many case were people were arrested then charges dropped. Much fewer where charges were not dropped but case thrown out or found not guilty.
    I have yet to find any where they were convicted for the singular crime of recording.

Basically cops are free to arrest you to harass you and destroy your film then drop charges it seems. There have been instances where suits filed brought settlements.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand