• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Filming LEO laws in MO

cash50

There are no laws that I know of. I know it's legal though.

Procedure is as follows:
1. Pull out camera
2. Hit record
3. Hit stop

Jaysann22

Do you have to inform the officer he's being recorded? Do any of you guys think the no picture/no filming laws will catch on in MO or other states other such as Illinois?

Superlite27

No and No.

Missouri is a single party consent state = one party of an interaction needs to consent. If the officer is interacting with you, you = one of the parties.

I don't see any reason this will change in Missouri.

Tony4310

I've talked to some cops they say taping them endangers them and others that have told me they are fine being taped. If you are with in the law as an officer than you shouldn't have a problem being recorded. I wouldn't if I were a cop.

DocWalker

No problem with filming

1. LEO films people during traffic stops and other events all the time without informing people. Why should they be above what they do themselves?

2. Any GOOD LEO shouldn't have a problem with being filmed. If they have a problem they are probably a BAD cop and should have their donut taken away. The whole argument about not filming them for everyones safety is bull, I bet the cops that beat Rodney King support not being filmed.

Richieg150

ooh low blow there Richie. I can confirm a couple that I know that DO have souls.
That was meant in jest, but................
Every human being has a soul, its just that SOME LEO's, act as if they are possesed,or controled by something not good....

Taylee

What are the laws/procedure for filming Law enforcement in MO? Plus are there any bills in the house or senate proposed to ban filming like other states such as Illinois?

Interesting and disturbing read.

http://m.gizmodo.com/5553765/are-cameras-the-new-guns

Pardon me for bumping an old thread.....

but does anyone here know what the laws in Missouri are re: filming officers while on duty? Specifically referring to this article....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ichael-Brown-arresting-man-recording-him.html

I am wondering if state law has changed there since this thread was created, but I can't find anything verifying that it's illegal there.

Thanks.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Pardon me for bumping an old thread.....

but does anyone here know what the laws in Missouri are re: filming officers while on duty? Specifically referring to this article....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ichael-Brown-arresting-man-recording-him.html

I am wondering if state law has changed there since this thread was created, but I can't find anything verifying that it's illegal there.

Thanks.

Perfectly legal insofar as if one does not actually interfere with the officers.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/13/filming-police-officers_n_5676940.html

davidmcbeth

Banned
Gillk Gilk Gilk Gilk Gilk Gilk

OP needs to read up on Gilk.

I had a cop the other day say "hey, you can't record me" to which I replied "well, if you think that then why don't you try and stop me?"

The whoosie refused to engage me further. I was disappointed.

twoskinsonemanns

I have read a lot about this. I have found many many case were people were arrested then charges dropped. Much fewer where charges were not dropped but case thrown out or found not guilty.
I have yet to find any where they were convicted for the singular crime of recording.

Basically cops are free to arrest you to harass you and destroy your film then drop charges it seems. There have been instances where suits filed brought settlements.