• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question?

Tbox

I recently took my CLEET class and am turning in my packet today to become a cc'er. During the class they had a list of places you could and could not carry in OK. Does anyone have this list available? I looked on the OSBI website but I didn't find a whole lot of information. A co-worker and I are in an argument wheather you could or could not carry a concealed weapon to the State Fair. Plus I would like to have the list for reference at later times. Thanks.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
A quick google search found lots of info.

http://oklegal.onenet.net/oklegal-cgi/get_statute?99/Title.21/21-1277.html
§21-1277.

§21-1277. UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES A. It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Section 1290.1 et seq. of this title, to carry any concealed handgun into any of the following places:
1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;

2. Any meeting of any city, town, county, state or federal officials, school board members, legislative members, or any other elected or appointed officials;

3. Any prison, jail, detention facility or any facility used to process, hold, or house arrested persons, prisoners or persons alleged delinquent or adjudicated delinquent;

4. Any elementary, secondary, or vocational-technical school property;

5. Any sports arena during a professional sporting event;

6. Any place where pari-mutuel wagering is authorized by law; and

7. Any other place specifically prohibited by law.
B. For purposes of paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 of subsection A of this section, the prohibited place does not include and specifically excludes the following property: a. any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority, b. any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, by any entity offering any professional sporting event which is open to the public for admission, or by any entity engaged in pari-mutuel wagering authorized by law, c. any property adjacent to a structure, building, or office space in which concealed weapons are prohibited by the provisions of this section, d. any property designated by a city, town, county, or state, governmental authority as a park, recreational area, or fairgrounds; provided nothing in this subparagraph shall be construed to authorize any entry by a person in possession of a concealed handgun into any structure, building, or office space which is specifically prohibited by the provisions of subsection A of this section.

C. Any person violating the provisions of subsection A of this section shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00). Any person convicted of violating the provisions of this section may be liable for an administrative fine of Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00) upon a hearing and determination by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation that the person is in violation of the provisions of this section. D. No person in possession of any concealed handgun pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall be authorized to carry the handgun into or upon any college or university property, except as provided in this subsection. For purposes of this subsection, the following property shall not be prohibited for persons having a valid concealed handgun license: 1. Any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, provided the handgun is carried or stored as required by law and the handgun is not removed from the vehicle without the prior consent of the college or university president while the vehicle is on any college or university property; 2. Any property authorized for possession or use of handguns by college or university policy; 3. Any property authorized by the written consent of the college or university president, provided the written consent is carried with the handgun and the valid concealed handgun license while on college or university property. The college or university may notify the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation within ten (10) days of a violation of any provision of this subsection by a licensee. Upon receipt of a written notification of violation, the Bureau shall give a reasonable notice to the licensee and hold a hearing. At the hearing upon a determination that the licensee has violated any provision of this subsection, the licensee may be subject to an administrative fine of Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250.00) and may have the concealed handgun license suspended for three (3) months. Nothing contained in any provision of this subsection shall be construed to limit the authority of any college or university in this state from taking administrative action against any student for any violation of any provision of this subsection. E. The provisions of subsection A of this section shall not apply to any law enforcement officer or to any person authorized by law to carry a pistol in the course of their employment.

Last edited:

Aknazer

The end of bullet (B) has your answer for your friend. It basically says that while you can carry on the fairgrounds, that doesn't mean you can enter into any of the buildings. I can tell you that all of the buildings there have a "No Weapons" sign on them; which was odd given that the gun show was inside of one of these buildings. So if you wanted to go into one of the buildings you would "legally" need to take your gun back to your car and leave it there. Oh and the law specifically states that they can't ban you from having your gun in your car regardless of if your car is attended or not.

OldCurlyWolf

The end of bullet (B) has your answer for your friend. It basically says that while you can carry on the fairgrounds, that doesn't mean you can enter into any of the buildings. I can tell you that all of the buildings there have a "No Weapons" sign on them; which was odd given that the gun show was inside of one of these buildings. So if you wanted to go into one of the buildings you would "legally" need to take your gun back to your car and leave it there. Oh and the law specifically states that they can't ban you from having your gun in your car regardless of if your car is attended or not.

You forget that the state fair and fairgrounds are not government owned or run.

And so far I have not seen a single building posted.

Aknazer

You forget that the state fair and fairgrounds are not government owned or run.

And so far I have not seen a single building posted.

Maybe I'm thinking of a different fairgrounds. I went to the one that is just east of H&H gunrange and every building I saw there had the "No Weapons" sign posted. But my wife is pretty sure that was the state fairgrounds and we have been to a state fair there before.

OldCurlyWolf

Maybe I'm thinking of a different fairgrounds. I went to the one that is just east of H&H gunrange and every building I saw there had the "No Weapons" sign posted. But my wife is pretty sure that was the state fairgrounds and we have been to a state fair there before.

It is also possible things have changed in the last few years. I think the last time I was there was the 2007 State Fair.