• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Retention

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Would someone please give me a brief explanation of the different levels of holster retention?

Thank you.

From: http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Conway/duty_holster_considerations.htm

Levels of retention

The retention level of the holster refers to the number of retention devices you have to release or move the gun past in order to draw the pistol from the holster:

An example of a level l holster would be a simple thumb-break device that must be unclipped in order to draw the weapon.

A Level ll holster example is one where a thumb-break is released then the pistol must be moved (rocked forward or rearwards) in the holster to clear some form of internal locking device before it can be drawn.

A Level lll holster is one where three separate retaining devices, both internal and external must be undone or bypassed.

Much more information at the linked page.

sraacke

Examples...
My Bianchi belt slide holster pictured below has only the thumsnap as a retention device. Thus it's considered a Level 1 holster.
local622010d.jpg

My Uncle Mikes Pro 3 is considered, at least by their marketing team, to be Level 3 as it has the thumb snap, tensioning screws and an internal hook which grabs the trigger guard.
rangejan2011b.jpg

Common IWB hosters with no straps or snaps are considered Level 0 or No retention. An example would be this common Bianchi holster- http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Bia...358/Cat/1400?gclid=CMfFz7ayoqkCFcLr7QodO2vdsw

Last edited: