• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Erasing digital recorder illegal?

gettysburg

I have not been on the forum for a while,but I just have a question that I've been thinking about for a couple days and thought maybe I could get some help. Some time ago a member posted about himself going to an auction.
He was confronted by law enforcement and during the exchange it was said that the leo grabed his recorder and tried to erase it. The member told the leo that would be unlawful. Here's the question part. What law specifically states that this would be illegal? Would it be considered tapering with evidence or what?

Last edited:

Get2DahChopper

Warchild & the Q are both correct.

That being said it is another thing to get a prosecutor to charge a LEO. They are often private attorneys contracted by a city to do the bidding of the PD. Remember they don't work for you [they are supposed to] and they are part of the problem at times.

This being the case it is very important to carry a very obvious recorder & and or video camera (they just have to work & can be second hand from where ever yard sale/ salvation army etc). Then have a stealth device that records them (video & audio). That way when they do erase the others & eventually send you on your way, you have evidence to get rid of these "bad apples".

People, most of us carry a backup sidearm correct? Why would an item that can defend your civil rights be any different?:eek::question:

lapeer20m

I was the guy at the auction.

That day I only had one recorder. These days I tend to still carry only one recorder unless I carry into what I consider to be sensitive areas. I carried three of them when we went to the gun buyback.

cmdr_iceman71

Here's the real question, would any of the audio or video footage that is sent to some remote or cloud-based location be admissible in court?

I can totally see the courts having a fetish about the material in question remaining on the original recording device in order for it to be admissible.

eastmeyers

Here's the real question, would any of the audio or video footage that is sent to some remote or cloud-based location be admissible in court?

I can totally see the courts having a fetish about the material in question remaining on the original recording device in order for it to be admissible.

Well you could go after them civilly first, then once they settle, because they DON'T want it in court. Gift wrap it for the prosecutor, they have already admitted some sort of guilt. My $0.02. I mean your going to get less civilly, but its not about the money.
IANAL

TheQ

It raises reasonable doubt. Court fetish for documented line of custody usually extends more to prosecution evidence. If there is no document trail defense can raise it as reasonable doubt.

This fetish doesn't so much apply to the accused who only needs to raise reasonable doubt.

As far as a civil case being the plaintiff I think such evidence would clear the evidence hurdle there as well (which is far less than reasonable doubt).

Blk97F150

Here's a article that I read on this topic recently.

Miami Beach Police Ordered Videographer At Gunpoint To Hand Over Phone

Miami Beach police did their best to destroy a citizen video that shows them shooting a man to death in a hail of bullets Memorial Day.

First, police pointed their guns at the man who shot the video, according to a Miami Herald interview with the videographer.

Then they ordered the man and his girlfriend out the car and threw them down to the ground, yelling “you want to be f___ing paparazzi?”

More: http://www.pixiq.com/article/MIami%20Beach%20Police%20Ordered%20Videographer%20At%20Gunpoint%20To%20Hand%20Over

craigm

For those of you with a phone running HTC's Sense, one of the HTC widgets you can download is the recorder--just set the phone to lock immediately after turning off the screen and there's not much they can do. All you have to do is tap the little icon that says "Record". I just use it for taking notes and such but I think it'd do the job.

TheQ

For those of you with a phone running HTC's Sense, one of the HTC widgets you can download is the recorder--just set the phone to lock immediately after turning off the screen and there's not much they can do. All you have to do is tap the little icon that says "Record". I just use it for taking notes and such but I think it'd do the job.

After the cop has you cuffed he takes your phone.

*crunch*

What recording? What phone?