• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't shoot me!

Polynikes

I had an interesting encounter with a poor pizza deliveryman over the weekend. The wife and I didn't feel like cooking so we just ordered from a nearby pizza joint. When the driver showed up, I answered the door with my XD on my hip as I always do. When I reached for the receipt to sign, he finally caught a glimpse of my holster and the following conversation ensued:

Him: "Oh, cool. Is that a BB gun?"

Me: *smile* "Um...no. It's a 9mm."

Him: "Wow, it's real?! Don't shoot me or anything!"

Me: "I don't think you need to worry."

Him: "That's really cool looking" *backing away slowly from my door and back towards his car* "Well, I guess you can't ever be too safe, huh?"

Me: "Yeah, pretty much. Have a good night."

This whole exchange struck me as funny. The driver was pretty young, probably late teens, and didn't seem to have much experience in the way of firearms (hence, the BB gun question.) I was not behaving in any way that could be construed as threatening, and I was very friendly in both tone of voice and body language, but but I was amazed that the first conclusion that he jumped to upon seeing my holstered firearm was that he was suddenly in danger of being shot. Slightly amusing for me, to guage his reaction to something that is so every-day normal to folks like us, and I'm sure he went back to the store with a wild story to tell the other employees. :)

Ruby

Actually, I think his reaction is quite normal for him and the general population, given the brain washing and anti gun attitude of our media.

Polynikes

Actually, I think his reaction is quite normal for him and the general population, given the brain washing and anti gun attitude of our media.

Oh, I agree completely, it was just a striking contrast in point of view. I never made a threatening move, didn't even hold my hand near the gun or touch it, and had a friendly smile on my face the whole time, yet he still felt like he was in danger. I've met quite a few varied reactions while carrying but this is the first time I've had someone actually ask me not to shoot them... lol.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
Ah, Colorado Springs. So it wasn't one of my people who came to your door. Good. Where I work, folks all know that I own weapons, and some have seen me carrying around town when not on the job. When asked about why I carry, I have an opportunity to address their concerns and help them understand their rights. I'm helping a whole crew learn the facts about carrying a weapon for self defense.

Some, at other locations, have experienced being robbed at gunpoint. The stories their fellow employees hear usually involve some thug threatening them with a handgun and demanding their money. Any delivery driver (especially pizza drivers for some reason) is a likely target of opportunity for criminals looking to purloin a fast buck. Perhaps it is because they know the pizza delivery person isn't likely to be armed. An easy mark! Hence, pizza drivers are likely to become alarmed when seeing a handgun.

Corporate policy states that the employee is to cooperate and not offer resistence. When the day came that I was robbed at gunpoint, it dawned on me that the man holding the pistol might fire whether I cooperated or not. I believe there exists a percentage of those who will fire their weapon regardless. Perhaps they are nervous and discharge by accident, or don't want you chasing after them so shoot you to prevent that. Corporate policy is silent on the matter of what to do while laying on the pavement, bleeding out. At least corporate policy was upheld. Funeral arrangements are entirely your own concern. Surely they'll send flowers. Ain't that lovely?

My solution to this problem was to change jobs and work in another town altogether. Now I carry my sidearm whenever and wherever I can. I will soon enough be changing employment in anticipation of keeping out of situations where robbery is likely. Or if it is a possibility, that I'll have my sidearm to defend myself.

The delivery person in question should not have been alarmed, because criminal types don't usually have nefarious intent when an order is delivered to their own address. Like, how much trouble would the cops have in tracking down the assailant to his own address? Duh?

If you get that same driver on the next order, perhaps you can share with him/her some ideas on carry. You never know how the information you share might lead them to think along entirely new lines. And it may even help to steer them away from making funeral arrangements of their own!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Polynikes

Howdy Amigo!
Ah, Colorado Springs. So it wasn't one of my people who came to your door. Good. Where I work, folks all know that I own weapons, and some have seen me carrying around town when not on the job. When asked about why I carry, I have an opportunity to address their concerns and help them understand their rights. I'm helping a whole crew learn the facts about carrying a weapon for self defense.

Some, at other locations, have experienced being robbed at gunpoint. The stories their fellow employees hear usually involve some thug threatening them with a handgun and demanding their money. Any delivery driver (especially pizza drivers for some reason) is a likely target of opportunity for criminals looking to purloin a fast buck. Perhaps it is because they know the pizza delivery person isn't likely to be armed. An easy mark! Hence, pizza drivers are likely to become alarmed when seeing a handgun.

Corporate policy states that the employee is to cooperate and not offer resistence. When the day came that I was robbed at gunpoint, it dawned on me that the man holding the pistol might fire whether I cooperated or not. I believe there exists a percentage of those who will fire their weapon regardless. Perhaps they are nervous and discharge by accident, or don't want you chasing after them so shoot you to prevent that. Corporate policy is silent on the matter of what to do while laying on the pavement, bleeding out. At least corporate policy was upheld. Funeral arrangements are entirely your own concern. Surely they'll send flowers. Ain't that lovely?

My solution to this problem was to change jobs and work in another town altogether. Now I carry my sidearm whenever and wherever I can. I will soon enough be changing employment in anticipation of keeping out of situations where robbery is likely. Or if it is a possibility, that I'll have my sidearm to defend myself.

The delivery person in question should not have been alarmed, because criminal types don't usually have nefarious intent when an order is delivered to their own address. Like, how much trouble would the cops have in tracking down the assailant to his own address? Duh?

If you get that same driver on the next order, perhaps you can share with him/her some ideas on carry. You never know how the information you share might lead them to think along entirely new lines. And it may even help to steer them away from making funeral arrangements of their own!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Very good post. I'm pretty sure he was a new driver for that location because I hadn't seen him before, we order from there quite often so my address is definitely in their system and the door always gets answered in the same friendly manner. (I automatically like the guy/gal who's bringing me dinner, what can I say? :) ) Hopefully, I was nice enough this time around that he won't feel the need to evacuate post-haste next time and we can talk a bit.

Last edited:

Ruby

Oh, I agree completely, it was just a striking contrast in point of view. I never made a threatening move, didn't even hold my hand near the gun or touch it, and had a friendly smile on my face the whole time, yet he still felt like he was in danger. I've met quite a few varied reactions while carrying but this is the first time I've had someone actually ask me not to shoot them... lol.

I have gotten this reaction a few times, even when I wasn't OC. Non gunners think it's cute or they are making light of something that makes them nervous. Just talking about guns makes some people nervous. What they are actually saying I thing is: You aren't going to shoot me are you?

Ruby

Very good post. I'm pretty sure he was a new driver for that location because I hadn't seen him before, we order from there quite often so my address is definitely in their system and the door always gets answered in the same friendly manner. (I automatically like the guy/gal who's bringing me dinner, what can I say? :) ) Hopefully, I was nice enough this time around that he won't feel the need to evacuate post-haste next time and we can talk a bit.

Education is the key. Kudos to you and everyone on here that takes the time to educate people about guns and self defense. I think a very large part of the problem is people in general are so accustomed to giving away their power that they don't know how to take it back. It's a whole different mindset than what they are used to. The media and government want to keep the sheep powerless, less they begin to think for themselves and take back their personal power. This is precisely why the government views gun owners as a threat; we HAVE taken back our power and we don't believe their lies any more.

JamesB

That's just about the same reaction I got when I answered the door to the private process server. No, actually it wasn't. He went flat bug-eyed. I can kind of understand in that position. Almost noone apreciates hearing the words "you've been served."
Roomate and I were actually looking forward to this particular one (a good battle in the court to liven one's spirits and such) and he also had tried earlier and been told that we would be there later. He knew that he was expected.

With all of that, we still got the business of the day taken care of, and then managed to get a good conversation in about OC.

Badger Johnson

I can understand Pizza guy's rx. After all, he has heard stories of other PDGs being robbed for food and a few dollars. It takes a moment to realize 'hey he can't rob me unless this isn't his house...or...(yikes)'.

Joking aside, he might have been trying to defuse the sitch by making a little joke.

LibertyDeath

Once in a while I help out my sister in law and deliver for her pizza joint. I always have my Glock on me and I wouldn't deliver without one. I've trained a few new guys and most of them see the spare box of ammo I keep in my Jeep sitting in my console and either don't realize or say something like I've never shot a gun, etc.

LibertyDeath

I think that's very brotherly of you. :)

And cool that you're OCing on pizza runs.

I CC on those, actually I CC most of the time because OC typically requires tucking in your shirt and I just don't like to do that.

However, I can only imagine how many times the customers would call the police or the store and say "The pizza guy tried to shoot me."