• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AMAZING 80 year old fails defending himself against multiple attackers.. but kills 2

Godscreation

From "Armed America: The Story of how How and Why Guns Became as American as Apple Pie" Clayton E. Cramer

1775: Militia from around Concord Mass. are spread out doing what they can do engage the British forces. British forces are now marching towards Concord to harass and potentially harm and incarcerate "rebel sympathizers". There are no soldiers or militia in the town to defend it and as the British march in unopposed, 80 year old Samuel Whittemore, not wanting his family and grandchildren to be harmed decides to take action. In a losing scenario, knowing he will not win against dozens of professional trained soldiers, he oils his musket and pistols and sharpens his sword:

"Whittemore had posted himself behind a stone wall, down Mystic Street about four hundred and fifty feet..... The distance seemed an easy range for him, and he opened fire, killing the soldier he aimed at. They must have discovered his hiding place from the smoke-puff, and hasted to close in on him."

As they closed on the fragile 80 year old man he yanked out his pistols, shot and immediately killed a second British soldier, and fatally wounded a third. With only his sword left, the elderly man stood not a chance. A ball from a flanking guard struck Whittemore in the head and he dropped to the ground. The soldiers pounced on him and clubbed and bayoneted him till he stopped moving and they were certain he was dead. Mr. Whittemore died......18 years later at the ripe old age of 98! HOOYA!!!!!!!!!!

This story is so emotional for me. I sometimes feel tears welding up when I read this.

Last edited:

Kirbinator

The strength to "the greatest generation" was/is that people accepted that they were going to die, and when they got back, had a purpose in life. Those who were smart and avoided the draft and learned to find a way to profit did so. Those who didn't accepted that life was crap and you die, so they found a way to get done what they wanted to get done.

John Wayne... Life is tough. But it's tougher if you're stupid...