• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT - Serial Number Check Service For Stolen Firearms

Freedom1Man

May be a defense against any criminal charge but you'd still have the firearm seized. It would then be returned to the legal owner who reported it stolen (after an NICS check and Proof of Ownership).

You could then go and attempt to collect your money from the party that sold it to you, that is if the Cops didn't arrest him and he's now serving 5 years.

I was only referring to the criminal charges. You're screwed if it was stolen, out the money, name on criminal record, may have to appear in court as a witness, etc.

amlevin

I Dont know about where you live, but in Durham, NC that service is free. All you do is call the local sheriff department and read them the serial number and they will tell you whether the gun comes back clean or not. Tell them you are considering purchasing a pistol from a private party and you want to know whether you are purchasing a legit product or not.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2

Most of the PD's locally want to see the firearm for themselves before checking. My guess is the reason is two-fold. To prevent improper use of the database and so they can seize the weapon if it proves to be stolen.

If one were to check, find out a firearm they were about to buy proved to be stolen, they'd most likely just say now way on the purchase. That doesn't do anything to get the stolen weapon off the street and back to the rightful owner.

I know that a local Pawn Shop regularly calls police on firearms that people are about to pawn. Every once in a while I see several cars in the lot, officers out arresting the person attempting to pawn it. If I am correct, Pawn Shops have to report merchandise they pawn/buy, especially firearms. Apparently this one does it while the customer is still waiting for their money.

Last edited: