Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Make sure your video/audio recorder can be locked or PW protected.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,558

    Make sure your video/audio recorder can be locked or PW protected.

    An eyewitness to a fatal police shooting in Miami Beach last week claims police officers attempted to confiscate the video he filmed of the incident, and even crushed his phone underfoot in an attempt to destroy the recording. Police smashed Narces Benoit' phone after seeing him videotape the shooting. They wanted his video but he hid the phone's SIM card in his mouth.
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/06/07/...html?hpt=hp_t2

    "When he noticed me recording, one of the officers jumped in the truck, put a pistol to my head," he said. "My phone was smashed - he stepped on it, handcuffed me."

    Juan Sanchez a detective with Miami Beach Police Department said he could not comment on how officers that night handled eyewitnesses who may have filmed the incident, because the matter could become the subject of an internal investigation or a civil lawsuit.

    Benoit's girlfriend, Ericka Davis, was also in the truck at the time.

    "They handled us like we were criminals," she said. "The officer came over to the driver's side, on my left, and just put the gun to my head."

    "They took everyone's phones and smashed them," she said.

    Benoit says the only reason he still has the footage is because it was saved on a tiny memory card, which he removed and hid from the officers, despite being told to hand over his video.
    Last edited by zack991; 06-07-2011 at 04:52 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Yeah. This has ABP a few times.

    If the officer tries to destroy/erase my video, that will militate against him in court. So I am not worried. The officer who stomped the video device has some 'splaining to do!

  3. #3
    Regular Member VW_Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, GA
    Posts
    1,098
    As well, many "recording" devices these days record onto their SD Card (or whatever memory media), and they are notoriously resilient. Even if the device itself is smashed, the media is likely intact on the media.

    (Ive been known to "wash" my USB drives on a regular basis, and after drying out they work fine)

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Yeah. This has ABP a few times.

    If the officer tries to destroy/erase my video, that will militate against him in court. So I am not worried. The officer who stomped the video device has some 'splaining to do!
    Well I made the newbie mistake, and my first recorder was NOT PW protected. Its always good to not just remind others but myself that this can still happen to us.
    Last edited by zack991; 06-07-2011 at 05:08 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

  5. #5
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    "Locking" your smartphone or GPS unit with a password will NOT keep the police from extracting ALL your data--pics, recordings, contact lists, whatever. If they have one of these handy little gadgets, they don't need no steenking password (or apparently a warrant...)

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20055431-1.html

    http://www.cellebrite.com/forensic-p...sical-pro.html

    They are already using devices in Michigan to extract data from EVERY cell phone they encounter during arrests, detainments, and even some traffic stops.

    Oh, and did I mention they were doing it without warrants?...

    Not only is Big Brother watching you, but he PWNS your cellie...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    "Locking" your smartphone or GPS unit with a password will NOT keep the police from extracting ALL your data--pics, recordings, contact lists, whatever. If they have one of these handy little gadgets, they don't need no steenking password (or apparently a warrant...)

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20055431-1.html

    http://www.cellebrite.com/forensic-p...sical-pro.html

    They are already using devices in Michigan to extract data from EVERY cell phone they encounter during arrests, detainments, and even some traffic stops.

    Oh, and did I mention they were doing it without warrants?...

    Not only is Big Brother watching you, but he PWNS your cellie...
    There are services out that where you can have your device upload the said file automatically to a protected server. So even if they do get the files, the electronic trail they would leave trying to take it from a server they wont get away with. Porcupine 411 is a set of rapid message distribution networks. You can use your local Porcupine 411 to participate in the growing liberty movement. You call the Porcupine 411 number and it records everything you say to a server and you can also set up a camera for a cell phone as well.
    Last edited by zack991; 06-07-2011 at 09:55 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

  7. #7
    Regular Member VW_Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, GA
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    "Locking" your smartphone or GPS unit with a password will NOT keep the police from extracting ALL your data--pics, recordings, contact lists, whatever.
    Encryption.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    Well I made the newbie mistake, and my first recorder was NOT PW protected. Its always good to not just remind others but myself that this can still happen to us.
    Mine isn't, but, as I said, I am not worried. An officer who tries to destroy a recording and hide what actually happened will have zero credibility versus the person who tried to make a record of events.

  9. #9
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Mine isn't, but, as I said, I am not worried. An officer who tries to destroy a recording and hide what actually happened will have zero credibility versus the person who tried to make a record of events.
    Without evidence most "civilians" have zero credibility with the court system.

    Protect your evidence.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Evidence?

    You mean like a smashed recorder?

    You mean like that fact that I have posted here and other sites that I always record, yet somehow don't have a recording of the incident in question but have pieces of my recorder?

    Evidence like the recording I have of a previous incident posted on the Internet? One that includes my telling the officers that I was recording them and that I do so routinely.

    Evidence like the meetings I have had with a few different PDs, in which I have told those police that I routinely record, that I turn on the recorder when I leave the house and just let it run?

    Evidence like two confirmed cases (FL and PA) within the past few months of officers trying to prevent the recording of their action?

    Evidence like that?

    Don't confuse evidence with proof. No, I can't prove that I record. But there is a lot of evidence that I do and that some police will take action against it. I doubt the officer will try to deny stopping my recording (they surely think that they have that authority, as evidenced by the MD case), but, even if he does deny, that denial, in its own right, will militate against his credibility.

    As I said, I am not worried.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Again, there is a difference between "evidence" and "proof." It is not proof. Everythin I posted IS evidence.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern Nevada, ,
    Posts
    721
    Password protection won't do you any good when your recording device is stolen.

    http://lolinter.net/badcops.pdf

    (see camera on inventory report and theft report on last page)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •