• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Make sure your video/audio recorder can be locked or PW protected.

zack991

An eyewitness to a fatal police shooting in Miami Beach last week claims police officers attempted to confiscate the video he filmed of the incident, and even crushed his phone underfoot in an attempt to destroy the recording. Police smashed Narces Benoit' phone after seeing him videotape the shooting. They wanted his video but he hid the phone's SIM card in his mouth.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/06/07/florida.shooting.witness/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

"When he noticed me recording, one of the officers jumped in the truck, put a pistol to my head," he said. "My phone was smashed - he stepped on it, handcuffed me."

Juan Sanchez a detective with Miami Beach Police Department said he could not comment on how officers that night handled eyewitnesses who may have filmed the incident, because the matter could become the subject of an internal investigation or a civil lawsuit.

Benoit's girlfriend, Ericka Davis, was also in the truck at the time.

"They handled us like we were criminals," she said. "The officer came over to the driver's side, on my left, and just put the gun to my head."

"They took everyone's phones and smashed them," she said.

Benoit says the only reason he still has the footage is because it was saved on a tiny memory card, which he removed and hid from the officers, despite being told to hand over his video.

Last edited:

eye95

Yeah. This has ABP a few times.

If the officer tries to destroy/erase my video, that will militate against him in court. So I am not worried. The officer who stomped the video device has some 'splaining to do!

VW_Factor

As well, many "recording" devices these days record onto their SD Card (or whatever memory media), and they are notoriously resilient. Even if the device itself is smashed, the media is likely intact on the media. :)

(Ive been known to "wash" my USB drives on a regular basis, and after drying out they work fine)

zack991

Yeah. This has ABP a few times.

If the officer tries to destroy/erase my video, that will militate against him in court. So I am not worried. The officer who stomped the video device has some 'splaining to do!

Well I made the newbie mistake, and my first recorder was NOT PW protected. Its always good to not just remind others but myself that this can still happen to us.

Last edited:

Dreamer

"Locking" your smartphone or GPS unit with a password will NOT keep the police from extracting ALL your data--pics, recordings, contact lists, whatever. If they have one of these handy little gadgets, they don't need no steenking password (or apparently a warrant...)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20055431-1.html

http://www.cellebrite.com/forensic-products/forensic-products/ufed-physical-pro.html

They are already using devices in Michigan to extract data from EVERY cell phone they encounter during arrests, detainments, and even some traffic stops.

Oh, and did I mention they were doing it without warrants?...

Not only is Big Brother watching you, but he PWNS your cellie...

zack991

"Locking" your smartphone or GPS unit with a password will NOT keep the police from extracting ALL your data--pics, recordings, contact lists, whatever. If they have one of these handy little gadgets, they don't need no steenking password (or apparently a warrant...)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20055431-1.html

http://www.cellebrite.com/forensic-products/forensic-products/ufed-physical-pro.html

They are already using devices in Michigan to extract data from EVERY cell phone they encounter during arrests, detainments, and even some traffic stops.

Oh, and did I mention they were doing it without warrants?...

Not only is Big Brother watching you, but he PWNS your cellie...

There are services out that where you can have your device upload the said file automatically to a protected server. So even if they do get the files, the electronic trail they would leave trying to take it from a server they wont get away with. Porcupine 411 is a set of rapid message distribution networks. You can use your local Porcupine 411 to participate in the growing liberty movement. You call the Porcupine 411 number and it records everything you say to a server and you can also set up a camera for a cell phone as well.

Last edited:

eye95

Well I made the newbie mistake, and my first recorder was NOT PW protected. Its always good to not just remind others but myself that this can still happen to us.

Mine isn't, but, as I said, I am not worried. An officer who tries to destroy a recording and hide what actually happened will have zero credibility versus the person who tried to make a record of events.

sudden valley gunner

Mine isn't, but, as I said, I am not worried. An officer who tries to destroy a recording and hide what actually happened will have zero credibility versus the person who tried to make a record of events.

Without evidence most "civilians" have zero credibility with the court system.

Protect your evidence.

eye95

Evidence?

You mean like a smashed recorder?

You mean like that fact that I have posted here and other sites that I always record, yet somehow don't have a recording of the incident in question but have pieces of my recorder?

Evidence like the recording I have of a previous incident posted on the Internet? One that includes my telling the officers that I was recording them and that I do so routinely.

Evidence like the meetings I have had with a few different PDs, in which I have told those police that I routinely record, that I turn on the recorder when I leave the house and just let it run?

Evidence like two confirmed cases (FL and PA) within the past few months of officers trying to prevent the recording of their action?

Evidence like that?

Don't confuse evidence with proof. No, I can't prove that I record. But there is a lot of evidence that I do and that some police will take action against it. I doubt the officer will try to deny stopping my recording (they surely think that they have that authority, as evidenced by the MD case), but, even if he does deny, that denial, in its own right, will militate against his credibility.

As I said, I am not worried.