• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Aberdeen Municipal Code

LibertyDeath

Today I had to go to the Aberdeen Municipal Court to pay a fine. I noticed that they didn't have a No Firearms sign like one would expect under 9.41.300. Not on the front door and not on the door going to the courtroom. So I figured I would look up the Aberdeen Municipal Code and see if it allows firearms in the courtroom and court areas.

Here is what I found and now I am even more confused.

AMC 9.02.020
Section 9.02.020 Dangerous weapons prohibited.

A. It is unlawful for anyone to:
1. Carry any knife, sword, dagger or other cutting or stabbing instrument, with a blade of a length of three inches or more, or any razor with an unguarded blade, whether said weapon or instrument is concealed or not;
2. Carry any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as a slingshot, taser, throwing star, bow, sand club, blackjack, metal knuckles, or any stick, chain, metal pipe, bar, club or combination thereof including a device known as num-chuk sticks, or any like device having the same or similar components or parts, whether or not connected by a rope, chain or other device, or any explosive or any poison or injurious gas, or any other instrument or weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, whether said instrument or weapon is concealed or not.
B. Exceptions. The above shall not apply to or affect the following:
1. A person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments, while engaged in official duties;
2. Law enforcement personnel;
3. Security personnel while engaged in official duties.
C. Warning Signs Required. The perimeter of the premises of any specific location covered by RCW 9.41.300(1) shall be posted at reasonable intervals to alert the public as to the restrictions on possession of firearms and dangerous weapons. Reasonable intervals shall include conspicuously posted signs at all internal and external entrances to any area in or on liquor sale premises wherein the carrying of said weapons or instruments are prohibited under this ordinance or RCW 9.41.300 as adopted by reference under AMC 9.01.010. Said signs shall be provided by the city to all affected places of business, and shall bear the following inscription:

WARNING – WEAPONS PROHIBITED: It shall be unlawful for any person, other than a commissioned law enforcement officer, or federal or state military personnel engaged in official duties, or security personnel engaged in official duties, to enter onto this premises while carrying any of the following weapons or instruments, whether a license or permit to carry said weapon is possessed or not, and whether said weapon or instrument is concealed or not: Rifle, shotgun, pistol, knife, sword, dagger or any other cutting or stabbing instrument, having a blade longer than three inches (3"); or any razor with an unguarded blade; or any explosive; or any poison or injurious gas; or any sling shot, taser, throwing star, bow, sand club, blackjack, metal knuckles, stick, chain, metal pipe, bar, club or combination thereof, including a device known as “num-chuk” sticks, or any like device having the same or similar components or parts; or any weapon or instrument apparently capable of producing bodily harm.

D. Upon conviction said weapon or instrument involved may be confiscated by order of the presiding judge, and shall thereafter be disposed of in accordance with statutes or ordinances governing the disposal of confiscated or found property.

(6477, Amended, 02/25/2009, Prior Text; 6414, Added, 09/27/2006)

tombrewster421

C. Warning Signs Required. The perimeter of the premises of any specific location covered by RCW 9.41.300(1) shall be posted at reasonable intervals to alert the public as to the restrictions on possession of firearms and dangerous weapons. Reasonable intervals shall include conspicuously posted signs at all internal and external entrances to any area in or on liquor sale premises wherein the carrying of said weapons or instruments are prohibited under this ordinance or RCW 9.41.300 as adopted by reference under AMC 9.01.010. Said signs shall be provided by the city to all affected places of business, and shall bear the following inscription:

This paragraph tells me that state law stands and that they aren't doing any part of what state law says or their own code that reiterates the law. Someone definately needs to bring this to their attention. As it's not properly posted that no firearms are allowed, if someone were to bring one in and be cited it would open them up to a huge lawsuit. I'm sure that bringing that point to their attention would provide the fire under their butts to get the ball rolling.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
With no signs up the city is ignoring state law. This would be a good opportunity to get involved and bring a smaller court up to date with state law. It also sounds like they need either lock boxes/keys or to designate an official to check firearms.

LibertyDeath

I had my court hearing today and the criminal docket was just finishing up, it was all the in custody perps. I noticed the correctional officer wasn't armed, he didn't even have a holster. I think that's very odd.