Thread: Ann Arbor ...

Ann Arbor ...

I was out to shoot clays tonight and I heard talk that AA police will make life difficult for those of us that wants to OC in downtown.

So I want to hear votes for OC or just a meet up somewhere. Or another suggestion

You'll be okay as long as you follow the PFZ/CPL stuff. But go on Google Maps and print-out downtown. UofM has a bunch of properties sprinkled throughout the city. Technically the city owns the sidewalks and they are 'public thoroughfares' , but the property owner pays for maintenance, the jury is still out on that. Just to be safe avoid any sidewalk directly adjoining UofM property.

If there's a group over 5, I'm in.

I haz iPhone with GPS and google maps (with MSU boundaries).
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    been there, done that, i'm in again
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

i've OC downtown A2 a few times and no problems..even with my 10 and 12 year old nephews. i had a mccain/palin shirt on one time. i think that was more alarming to the left wing populus than a handgun. probably didn't even see it.
    isn't OC with a CPL legal and wouldn't matter where you were in ann arbor?

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    isn't OC with a CPL legal and wouldn't matter where you were in ann arbor?
    U of M's ordinances aren't preempted.
    Last edited by TheQ; 06-07-2011 at 11:44 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

regardless of the U of M rules, they can only ask you to leave

WRONG! UofM (and other colleges) ordinances have the force of Law, violations can have real consequences, Jail time and/or fines, for example.

Please, don't confuse the n00bs.
    Last edited by Mosnar87; 06-08-2011 at 05:48 AM.
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
    —John F. Kennedy

"If a man neglects to enforce his rights, he cannot complain if, after a while, the law follows his example."
    —Oliver Wendell Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by AAMitch View Post
    I was out to shoot clays tonight and I heard talk . . .
    What was the exact quote from the PD? Who in the PD is the quote attributed to? Was the quote communicated in a memo, or spoken over a beer off-duty?

Details, or it didn't happen.

"The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

what about the art fair? OC or not?

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    what about the art fair? OC or not?
    Is it in the part of the map of Ann Arbor that is indicated to be U of M on google maps?

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Is it in the part of the map of Ann Arbor that is indicated to be U of M on google maps?
    Another example of how the internet helps to restore our rights. It is unbelievable. Think about it, how many of us would know today, that OC was legal without the internet. How many of us could print a map (or hold an electronic one in your hand, phone), so not to get arrested in AA. How many of us would know each other, to meet up and OC. I understand we do not have our RIGHTS completely back, and we are still only at the PRIVILEGE level. But the point is without the internet, we would be much farther behind than we are now.
    Last edited by eastmeyers; 06-08-2011 at 12:36 PM.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    What was the exact quote from the PD? Who in the PD is the quote attributed to? Was the quote communicated in a memo, or spoken over a beer off-duty?
    This was a conversation between myself and a long time friend who is NOT apart of the AAPD. It was his discussion of OC, with an Ann Arbor officer. My friend gave me the impressoin that my day would be "screwed up" if they caught anyone OC downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by AAMitch View Post
    This was a conversation between myself and a long time friend who is NOT apart of the AAPD. It was his discussion of OC, with an Ann Arbor officer. My friend gave me the impressoin that my day would be "screwed up" if they caught anyone OC downtown.
    An acquaintance of mine who is a friend of an Auburn Hills police officer asked the officer about OC. The officer told him he would immediately arrest an OC'er if he saw one in Auburn Hills. That was a couple of years ago. I've had a few contacts with AHPD since then, and AHPD has on-the-whole been professional and never done anything illegal.

Cops sometimes lie and exaggerate about how they would respond to OC'ers. It seems that the ones who do so are trying to discourage it.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

I agree with Danm. I work in a firearm store and I ask police officers what there opinion is of OC. I have gotten good responses and bad, most often they simply don't know the law (or lack thereof) and have the facts wrong. I was told by a police officer that the transport law does not cover OC. He believed that if you do not have a CPL that transporting your handgun to OC is not a legal reason to transport your pistol. I asked why he believed this and he said it wasn't on the list of "approved" reasons to transport. He also said that OC'ers are out for the attention it brings and that they will cause anyone who sees a "guy with a gun" to call 911. He said that OC is a sure way to cause trouble.

Some will be for us, and some against, and some neutral. Such is life, we advance our cause by baby steps, litterally one person at a time. Every time we go out into the world with our OC'ed handguns we help to bring firearm ownership out of the dark. We show by our good judgement while we conduct ourselves in a polite and safe manner, that gun owners and those who carry them in daily life are not evil men.

We are the most visible ambassadors of firearm ownership.

Friends and fellow OC'ers ask not what Open Carry can do for you! Ask what you can do for Open Carry!
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!