• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ann Arbor ...

Mitchell

I was out to shoot clays tonight and I heard talk that AA police will make life difficult for those of us that wants to OC in downtown.

So I want to hear votes for OC or just a meet up somewhere. Or another suggestion

sv51macross

You'll be okay as long as you follow the PFZ/CPL stuff. But go on Google Maps and print-out downtown. UofM has a bunch of properties sprinkled throughout the city. Technically the city owns the sidewalks and they are 'public thoroughfares' , but the property owner pays for maintenance, the jury is still out on that. Just to be safe avoid any sidewalk directly adjoining UofM property.

kryptonian

i've OC downtown A2 a few times and no problems..even with my 10 and 12 year old nephews. i had a mccain/palin shirt on one time. i think that was more alarming to the left wing populus than a handgun. probably didn't even see it.
isn't OC with a CPL legal and wouldn't matter where you were in ann arbor?

Mosnar87

WRONG! UofM (and other colleges) ordinances have the force of Law, violations can have real consequences, Jail time and/or fines, for example.:shocker:

Please, don't confuse the n00bs.

Last edited:

eastmeyers

Is it in the part of the map of Ann Arbor that is indicated to be U of M on google maps?

Another example of how the internet helps to restore our rights. It is unbelievable. Think about it, how many of us would know today, that OC was legal without the internet. How many of us could print a map (or hold an electronic one in your hand, phone), so not to get arrested in AA. How many of us would know each other, to meet up and OC. I understand we do not have our RIGHTS completely back, and we are still only at the PRIVILEGE level. But the point is without the internet, we would be much farther behind than we are now.

Last edited:

Mitchell

What was the exact quote from the PD? Who in the PD is the quote attributed to? Was the quote communicated in a memo, or spoken over a beer off-duty?
:)

This was a conversation between myself and a long time friend who is NOT apart of the AAPD. It was his discussion of OC, with an Ann Arbor officer. My friend gave me the impressoin that my day would be "screwed up" if they caught anyone OC downtown.

DanM

This was a conversation between myself and a long time friend who is NOT apart of the AAPD. It was his discussion of OC, with an Ann Arbor officer. My friend gave me the impressoin that my day would be "screwed up" if they caught anyone OC downtown.

An acquaintance of mine who is a friend of an Auburn Hills police officer asked the officer about OC. The officer told him he would immediately arrest an OC'er if he saw one in Auburn Hills. That was a couple of years ago. I've had a few contacts with AHPD since then, and AHPD has on-the-whole been professional and never done anything illegal.

Cops sometimes lie and exaggerate about how they would respond to OC'ers. It seems that the ones who do so are trying to discourage it.

NHCGRPR45

I agree with Danm. I work in a firearm store and I ask police officers what there opinion is of OC. I have gotten good responses and bad, most often they simply don't know the law (or lack thereof) and have the facts wrong:shocker:. I was told by a police officer that the transport law does not cover OC. He believed that if you do not have a CPL that transporting your handgun to OC is not a legal reason to transport your pistol. I asked why he believed this and he said it wasn't on the list of "approved" reasons to transport:confused:. He also said that OC'ers are out for the attention it brings and that they will cause anyone who sees a "guy with a gun" to call 911. He said that OC is a sure way to cause trouble:mad:.

Some will be for us, and some against, and some neutral. Such is life, we advance our cause by baby steps, litterally one person at a time. Every time we go out into the world with our OC'ed handguns we help to bring firearm ownership out of the dark. We show by our good judgement while we conduct ourselves in a polite and safe manner, that gun owners and those who carry them in daily life are not evil men.

We are the most visible ambassadors of firearm ownership.

Friends and fellow OC'ers ask not what Open Carry can do for you! Ask what you can do for Open Carry!:banana: