View Poll Results: What date works best for you?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • 17 July 2011

5 50.00%
  • 24 July 2011

4 40.00%
  • 30 July 2011

7 70.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Join Open Carriers in Lansing for a Picnic

Join Open Carriers in Lansing for a Picnic

Michigan Open Carry is looking to organize an Outdoor Picnic in/near Lansing, Michigan in July. The exact location/venue is still being worked out, but right now we are looking for an idea of how many people would attend such an event and on what date.

Provided: Hot Dogs, Buns, and Condiments
    Bring your own Beverage (unless someone decides to step up and bring pop)

The location will be a park in the Lansing area with a grill. A small parking fee may be required to enter the park, but we're going to try to avoid such venues.

So here's the dates we are floating:

• 17 July 2011
    • 24 July 2011
    • 30 July 2011

Please vote in this thread's poll (feel free to select more than one) if you'd attend such an event and which date or dates would work best for you. Please post a note in the thread if any of these days will absolutely not work for you.
    Last edited by TheQ; 06-07-2011 at 11:35 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Michigan Open Carry is looking to organize an Outdoor Picnic in/near Lansing, Michigan in July. The exact location/venue is still being worked out, but right now we are looking for an idea of how many people would attend such an event and on what date.

Provided: Hot Dogs, Buns, and Condiments
    Bring your own Beverage (unless someone decides to step up and bring pop)

The location will be a park in the Lansing area with a grill. A small parking fee may be required to enter the park, but we're going to try to avoid such venues.

So here's the dates we are floating:

• 17 July 2011
    • 24 July 2011
    • 30 July 2011

Please vote in this thread's poll (feel free to select more than one) if you'd attend such an event and which date or dates would work best for you. Please post a note in the thread if any of these days will absolutely not work for you.
    anywhere else BUT Lansing, till the CADL thing is done. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by dougwg View Post
    There ate plenty of parks in Ingham County (outside of Lansing), however, most of them charge a parking fee -- which we were trying to avoid having people pay.

I am out OCing all the time in Lansing. Are you suggestion I should "keep it in my pants" until the CADL thing is over?

Did you advocate against OC gatherings in Detroit after the police precinct shooting?

Does CADL stop doing what they do just because of this case? Are books no longer being circulated by CADL?

I must respectfully dissent from your opinion.

Venator and I had a few public parks in mind -- none of them neat CADL. The park across the street from CADL has no grills and thus wouldn't work.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by dougwg View Post
    I respectfully disagree Doug.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

I may beable to make 17th or 30th, but I have my kids on both occasions and that means no fun for Dad since I'll be chasing kids at the picnic...

FYI: Burchfield park (formerly grand river park) on grovenburg DOES charge a fee to enter, but if you go down the road to the end of grovenburg and take a right (west) there is another park that adjoins with Burchfield called Riverbend Park... it is probably a 1/2ish mile walk thru the woods (on a big trail) to get to burchfield.

FYI2: Burchfield/riverbend/mcnamara's landing have some pretty sweet mountain bike trails for those who don't know....

Same thing with hawk island on cavanaugh... if you park at the 7-11 near corner of jolly/aurelius, you can walk on the paved rivertrail about 1ish mile to get to hawk island.

Or just pay the 2 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    Or just pay the 2 bucks.
    it may be more for non(county)-residents.

it may be more for non(county)-residents.

You're right... I think it's 4 then.

You're right... I think it's 4 then.
    But it's the honor system.

Q: County Resident?

If you answer "yes", you get the lower price. No ask for ID/prove it.

But it's the honor system.

Q: County Resident?

If you answer "yes", you get the lower price. No ask for ID/prove it.
    Really? OC'ers want folks to think we are honest, honorable, responsible, respectable, people yet we should lie just to save $2?

My opinion......
    If folks don't think charging to park is acceptable then that can be addressed in the same manner as all other things are addressed... within the system.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Really? OC'ers want folks to think we are honest, honorable, responsible, respectable, people yet we should lie just to save $2?

My opinion......
    If folks don't think charging to park is acceptable then that can be addressed in the same manner as all other things are addressed... within the system.
    I am thinking the point isn't actually paying for parking, but giving the opposition more funding...

And by opposition I don't mean the park, I mean the CADL, which receives funds from the county and the cities within its district. Can someone do the research to see how these funds are spend, are they put in a fund where 100% of funds go to park resources? If so I personally would not mind paying to park, because I would be using the park. Just saying, its my $0.02, my personal opinion, and its worth what you folks paid for it.

BTW: This is not directed at Bikenut.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Honorable bump

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    We are thinking of the park at the New Lansing City Market.

The market would be open and people can shop and get things to eat. The park has a small playground, good parking and tables/grills. People can fish the Grand River from the riverwalk.

The Lansing Lugnuts play across the street. Two of the proposed dates have afternoon home games at 2:00 or 3:00 PM. http://www.lansinglugnuts.com/SCHED/july.html
    Attached Images
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

ttt
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

The Q and I have talked and we decided on July 24th, a Sunday.

Where: Lansing City Market (The nearby park) See map above.
    When: Sunday July 24th
    Time: Noon-?

We will supply hot dogs, buns and condiments. Charcoal, etc.

You need to bring tableware, drinks, chairs, and a dish to pass.

Dishes can be cold salads (potato, macaroni, jellos, on and on), desserts, snacks, etc.

This park is pretty easy to get to from most expressways. It's access is off of Cedar (One Way-south in this area), Cedar splits off to Larch (Northbound). You can go up to Shiawassee and come back south on Cedar.

This area has lots to do with restaurants, the Michigan History Museum, Surveyors Museum, OLDs Museum, Impression-5 kids science Museum and the Lug-nuts ball-field.

You can fish the river from the sidewalk.

The Lansing Lug-nuts play at 2:05 PM against the Beloit Snappers (Minnesota Twins) Tickets are $8-$20 with a good seat at $10.

I must not have on the right glasses...I don't see no map?
    IF...you want me to come, I gotta know how to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by WARCHILD View Post

Look at post #12. You're confused because the map is not "above" in the same post... it's actually "above" a few posts.

#12 is the ballgame schedule, no map link.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    The Q and I have talked and we decided on July 24th, a Sunday.

Where: Lansing City Market (The nearby park) See map above.
    When: Sunday July 24th
    Time: Noon-?

We will supply hot dogs, buns and condiments. Charcoal, etc.

You need to bring tableware, drinks, chairs, and a dish to pass.

Dishes can be cold salads (potato, macaroni, jellos, on and on), desserts, snacks, etc.

This park is pretty easy to get to from most expressways. It's access is off of Cedar (One Way-south in this area), Cedar splits off to Larch (Northbound). You can go up to Shiawassee and come back south on Cedar.

This area has lots to do with restaurants, the Michigan History Museum, Surveyors Museum, OLDs Museum, Impression-5 kids science Museum and the Lug-nuts ball-field.

You can fish the river from the sidewalk.

The Lansing Lug-nuts play at 2:05 PM against the Beloit Snappers (Minnesota Twins) Tickets are $8-$20 with a good seat at $10.
    Cooley Law School Stadium Security Guidelines:

In order to ensure the safety and comfort of our fans, while maintaining a safe environment, the following security procedures are in place:

All persons, bags and personal items are subject to inspection before entering Cooley Law School Stadium.
    • NO food, beverages or containers are allowed inside the ballpark.
    • NO weapons are allowed inside the facility.
    • Animals are not allowed in the ballpark, with the exception of special events and service animals.
    • Cooley Law School Stadium is a non-smoking facility. Fans wishing to smoke may exit the park through designated gates after having their hand stamped for re-admittance.
    http://www.lansinglugnuts.com/PARK/park_info.html

Okay, now I'm confused.
    Post says city mkt.... map link is for ball park/picnic area.
    Which is it or are they in the same area?

I dunno.... post 12 shows this for me...

The photo of the ballpark shows the street names, the city market, and the park where the picnic is going to be... were you looking for a MAPQUEST type map?

This link should do the trick... http://mapq.st/mR6O7k

I dunno.... post 12 shows this for me...
    It didn't for the rest of us, thank you for the re-post!
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by WARCHILD View Post
    Apparently the image shows on some computers and not others Strange. I can't see it on my lap top at home.

Glad to be of service. HOpe there is a good turn out.

Is this still a go and do we carry? I hope so I want to be there.

Yes and Yes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast