• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Join Open Carriers in Lansing for a Picnic

What date works best for you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheQ

Michigan Open Carry is looking to organize an Outdoor Picnic in/near Lansing, Michigan in July. The exact location/venue is still being worked out, but right now we are looking for an idea of how many people would attend such an event and on what date.

Provided: Hot Dogs, Buns, and Condiments
Bring your own Beverage (unless someone decides to step up and bring pop)

The location will be a park in the Lansing area with a grill. A small parking fee may be required to enter the park, but we're going to try to avoid such venues.

So here's the dates we are floating:

• 17 July 2011
  • 24 July 2011
  • 30 July 2011

Please vote in this thread's poll (feel free to select more than one) if you'd attend such an event and which date or dates would work best for you. Please post a note in the thread if any of these days will absolutely not work for you.

Last edited:

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
Michigan Open Carry is looking to organize an Outdoor Picnic in/near Lansing, Michigan in July. The exact location/venue is still being worked out, but right now we are looking for an idea of how many people would attend such an event and on what date.

Provided: Hot Dogs, Buns, and Condiments
Bring your own Beverage (unless someone decides to step up and bring pop)

The location will be a park in the Lansing area with a grill. A small parking fee may be required to enter the park, but we're going to try to avoid such venues.

So here's the dates we are floating:

• 17 July 2011
  • 24 July 2011
  • 30 July 2011

Please vote in this thread's poll (feel free to select more than one) if you'd attend such an event and which date or dates would work best for you. Please post a note in the thread if any of these days will absolutely not work for you.
anywhere else BUT Lansing, till the CADL thing is done. JMHO

TheQ

anywhere else BUT Lansing, till the CADL thing is done. JMHO

There ate plenty of parks in Ingham County (outside of Lansing), however, most of them charge a parking fee -- which we were trying to avoid having people pay.

I am out OCing all the time in Lansing. Are you suggestion I should "keep it in my pants" until the CADL thing is over?

Did you advocate against OC gatherings in Detroit after the police precinct shooting?

Does CADL stop doing what they do just because of this case? Are books no longer being circulated by CADL?

I must respectfully dissent from your opinion.

Venator and I had a few public parks in mind -- none of them neat CADL. The park across the street from CADL has no grills and thus wouldn't work.

HKcarrier

I may beable to make 17th or 30th, but I have my kids on both occasions and that means no fun for Dad since I'll be chasing kids at the picnic... :)

FYI: Burchfield park (formerly grand river park) on grovenburg DOES charge a fee to enter, but if you go down the road to the end of grovenburg and take a right (west) there is another park that adjoins with Burchfield called Riverbend Park... it is probably a 1/2ish mile walk thru the woods (on a big trail) to get to burchfield.

FYI2: Burchfield/riverbend/mcnamara's landing have some pretty sweet mountain bike trails for those who don't know....

Same thing with hawk island on cavanaugh... if you park at the 7-11 near corner of jolly/aurelius, you can walk on the paved rivertrail about 1ish mile to get to hawk island.

Or just pay the 2 bucks. :D

B

Bikenut

But it's the honor system.

Q: County Resident?

If you answer "yes", you get the lower price. No ask for ID/prove it.
Really? OC'ers want folks to think we are honest, honorable, responsible, respectable, people yet we should lie just to save $2?

My opinion......
If folks don't think charging to park is acceptable then that can be addressed in the same manner as all other things are addressed... within the system.

eastmeyers

Really? OC'ers want folks to think we are honest, honorable, responsible, respectable, people yet we should lie just to save $2?

My opinion......
If folks don't think charging to park is acceptable then that can be addressed in the same manner as all other things are addressed... within the system.

I am thinking the point isn't actually paying for parking, but giving the opposition more funding...

And by opposition I don't mean the park, I mean the CADL, which receives funds from the county and the cities within its district. Can someone do the research to see how these funds are spend, are they put in a fund where 100% of funds go to park resources? If so I personally would not mind paying to park, because I would be using the park. Just saying, its my $0.02, my personal opinion, and its worth what you folks paid for it.

BTW: This is not directed at Bikenut.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
We are thinking of the park at the New Lansing City Market.

The market would be open and people can shop and get things to eat. The park has a small playground, good parking and tables/grills. People can fish the Grand River from the riverwalk.

The Lansing Lugnuts play across the street. Two of the proposed dates have afternoon home games at 2:00 or 3:00 PM. http://www.lansinglugnuts.com/SCHED/july.html
Attached Images
attachment.php

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
The Q and I have talked and we decided on July 24th, a Sunday.

Where: Lansing City Market (The nearby park) See map above.
When: Sunday July 24th
Time: Noon-?

We will supply hot dogs, buns and condiments. Charcoal, etc.

You need to bring tableware, drinks, chairs, and a dish to pass.

Dishes can be cold salads (potato, macaroni, jellos, on and on), desserts, snacks, etc.

This park is pretty easy to get to from most expressways. It's access is off of Cedar (One Way-south in this area), Cedar splits off to Larch (Northbound). You can go up to Shiawassee and come back south on Cedar.

This area has lots to do with restaurants, the Michigan History Museum, Surveyors Museum, OLDs Museum, Impression-5 kids science Museum and the Lug-nuts ball-field.

You can fish the river from the sidewalk.

The Lansing Lug-nuts play at 2:05 PM against the Beloit Snappers (Minnesota Twins) Tickets are $8-$20 with a good seat at $10.

HKcarrier

I must not have on the right glasses...I don't see no map?
IF:uhoh:...you want me to come, I gotta know how to get there. :eek:

Look at post #12. You're confused because the map is not "above" in the same post... it's actually "above" a few posts.

PDinDetroit

The Q and I have talked and we decided on July 24th, a Sunday.

Where: Lansing City Market (The nearby park) See map above.
When: Sunday July 24th
Time: Noon-?

We will supply hot dogs, buns and condiments. Charcoal, etc.

You need to bring tableware, drinks, chairs, and a dish to pass.

Dishes can be cold salads (potato, macaroni, jellos, on and on), desserts, snacks, etc.

This park is pretty easy to get to from most expressways. It's access is off of Cedar (One Way-south in this area), Cedar splits off to Larch (Northbound). You can go up to Shiawassee and come back south on Cedar.

This area has lots to do with restaurants, the Michigan History Museum, Surveyors Museum, OLDs Museum, Impression-5 kids science Museum and the Lug-nuts ball-field.

You can fish the river from the sidewalk.

The Lansing Lug-nuts play at 2:05 PM against the Beloit Snappers (Minnesota Twins) Tickets are $8-$20 with a good seat at $10.

Cooley Law School Stadium Security Guidelines:

In order to ensure the safety and comfort of our fans, while maintaining a safe environment, the following security procedures are in place:

All persons, bags and personal items are subject to inspection before entering Cooley Law School Stadium.
  • NO food, beverages or containers are allowed inside the ballpark.
  • NO weapons are allowed inside the facility.
  • Animals are not allowed in the ballpark, with the exception of special events and service animals.
  • Cooley Law School Stadium is a non-smoking facility. Fans wishing to smoke may exit the park through designated gates after having their hand stamped for re-admittance.

http://www.lansinglugnuts.com/PARK/park_info.html

HKcarrier

I dunno.... post 12 shows this for me...

PICNIC.jpg

The photo of the ballpark shows the street names, the city market, and the park where the picnic is going to be... were you looking for a MAPQUEST type map?

This link should do the trick... http://mapq.st/mR6O7k