Thread: WV: Homeowner Shoots Charging Burglar

State Researcher
    Lebanon, VA

Thumbs up WV: Homeowner Shoots Charging Burglar

A Nicholas County man was shot early Sunday after he allegedly broke into a house in Summersville.

Howard Franklin Harris, of Summersville, told deputies he woke up about 12:15 a.m. Sunday to find Christopher Lynn Pino, of Ramsey, burglarizing his house.

Nicholas County Sheriff Wetzel Bennett said Harris called police and held a gun on Pino while waiting for help to arrive.

But Harris told deputies that Pino charged him, and he had to shoot. Bennett said Pino was shot in the head with a handgun.
    Bennett said Pino was taken to CAMC General Hospital in Charleston where he was in stable condition Monday morning.

The investigation continues, but Bennett said charges are expected to be filed against Pino.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Tampa, FL
    dam he was shot in the head and survived!? what a lucky POS

what caliber!?

Let me know what he got shot with so I can avoid purchasing handguns in that caliber! lol

Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    The caliber does not matter as much as the nature of the bullet and its path. The congressman was shot with a 9mm (IIRC) and survived. One of my former students was shot in the head with a military munition in Iraq and survived.

What matters most is the path of the bullet--which will be affected by deformation and fragmentation. If there is not too much blood loss and damage is limited to one hemisphere, survival is quite possible.

I would be willing to bet that the homeowner's gun was not loaded with SD ammo. Most likely, the load was ball ammo designed for target shooting and produced a through-and-through, front-to-back, and not side-to-side (or lodged, after making a short, narrow, and smooth bore).

Ohio, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by hvtopiwala View Post
    dam he was shot in the head and survived!? what a lucky POS
    Karma will get back to him, this bullet was just the start.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,