• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

non-resident business owner and firearms

Broondog

my step mother recently opened a business in Quincy but lives in Missouri. she commented that with IL being a commie, gun hating state (nothing personal to the residents) she was wondering what kind of hoops she would have to jump through to be able to keep a gun in the store.

i'm thinking that as a non-resident she couldn't have a FOID card and thus not be able to legally keep a firearm on the premises. right/wrong?

you guys know the state statutes better than i. can you point me towards the ones that apply, either against or in favor of the situation?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
In People v. Holmes, the Illinois Supreme Court held that a license to carry a handgun or concealed weapon issued to a nonresident of Illinois by that nonresident's state of residence qualified as an exception to the FOID Card Act and entitled the nonresident to the same treatment under the UUW and AUUW statutes as an IL resident holding a FOID card.