• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC laws effected by Parks & Rec

Big Boy

A good while back, when looking to do an OC get together someone had mentioned something about OC not being legal in parks in Independence.

This made me curious about my own new town. After reading through all the weapons ordinances for Columbia nothing about OC is mentioned.

However, once you get into the laws for Parks & Rec, it states:

"Section 17-98 Hunting; carrying and use of weapons.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person in a park to use, carry or possess firearms of any description, or air rifles, spring-guns, bow and arrows, slings or any other forms of weapons potentially inimical to wildlife and dangerous to human safety, or any instrument that can be loaded with and fire blank cartridges, or any kind of trapping device. It shall be unlawful for any person to shoot into park areas from beyond the park boundaries.

(b) This section shall not prohibit any person in a park from carrying a concealed firearm if the person has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued by the Missouri director of revenue under Section 571.094 RSMo or has a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms, issued by another state or political subdivision of another state."

The exemption saying it is ok, is only for CONCEALED firearms. The last thing I would want is someone to be walking their dog in a city park, get stopped by a cop, and then sit there going "Nuhh Uhh it's not illegal!" and get their butts thrown in jail because of one tiny nuance of law.

Check your local municipalities.

Last edited:

Big Boy

Right. Just getting it out there and saying, check up on your own local law so you don't make any mistakes.