• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WTF? SWAT for defaulted student loans???

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I contacted Channel 10 news by email and got this reply:

Jim,
Thanks for contacting us. The story is being updated now and will be up shortly. The Department of Education has given us more information about their side of the story. It's loading onto our site now and should be updated in about 8 minutes.

Thanks,
Roy Kennedy
News10

rscottie

Again, whose SWAT?? The word is often bandied about, not really meaning SWAT. Until it is reported which agency provided the SWAT team, I remain unconvinced that it was a SWAT team. I also remain unconvinced that the intrusion was for student loans only.

There is more information out there. I hope folks want that information before making judgments. Clearly some don't care to hear the whole story before jumping to conclusions. *sigh*

Anyway, my point was to convince readers of this thread to think and not just react. I have made that point, so I will move on for now.

I am not sure why you are so concerned with the WHO and not the WTF like everyone else.

The fact that ANY ARMED people at all busted his door down and held him against his will for six hours is wrong. Aiming a firearm at someone is a deadly threat and he would have been within his rights to open fire on them. He would be Dead of course, but within his rights.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Here's the updated Channel 10 story:

http://www.news10.net/news/article/141108/2/Questions-surround-feds-raid-of-Stockton-home

The only thing new I see in this updated article is input, such as it is, from the Dept. of Education:

A U.S. government official confirmed for News10 this morning federal agents with the Office of the Inspector General (OIG), not local S.W.A.T., served the search warrant. The official would not say specifically why the raid took place. He did say the search was not related to student loans in default.

He went on to say OIG is a semi-independent branch of the U.S. Department of Education that executes warrants for criminal offenses such as student aid fraud and embezzlement of federal aid.​

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
For all the folks bantering on about critical reading:

A U.S. government official confirmed for News10 this morning federal agents with the Office of the Inspector General (OIG), not local S.W.A.T., served the search warrant.

So what we have there is a statement that 1) federal agents with the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) served the warrant, and 2) the "local S.W.A.T." was not involved.

Let's see - "federal agents" is not necessarily a SWAT unit. I always supposed that in order to be called a SWAT unit the members had to dress up like ninjas and carry, you know, "special weapons" and use, like, "special tactics". From the picture accompanying the article it looks like the door was kicked in rather than having the hinges blown off by the specially-purchased "12ga Mossberg 870s (with 14-inch barrels!)" Dreamer refered to below, or being torn off the doorframe by a Haligan Tool, or having the lock breached by a battering ram.

BTW - when did Mossberg start manufacturing 870s? (And how come none of the other "critical readers" out there noticed that? Huh?)

You are now returned to your original bickering.

stay safe.

Gunslinger

So what we have there is a statement that 1) federal agents with the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) served the warrant, and 2) the "local S.W.A.T." was not involved.

Let's see - "federal agents" is not necessarily a SWAT unit. I always supposed that in order to be called a SWAT unit the members had to dress up like ninjas and carry, you know, "special weapons" and use, like, "special tactics". From the picture accompanying the article it looks like the door was kicked in rather than having the hinges blown off by the specially-purchased "12ga Mossberg 870s (with 14-inch barrels!)" Dreamer refered to below, or being torn off the doorframe by a Haligan Tool, or having the lock breached by a battering ram.

BTW - when did Mossberg start manufacturing 870s? (And how come none of the other "critical readers" out there noticed that? Huh?)

stay safe.

You haven't answered the key questions: were the letters S W A T below or above the death's head on their caps? Remington 870 or Mossberg--whogas? They were bought for the same purpose.

JamesCanby

Activist Member

stay safe.

Skid, I appreciate your tongue-in-cheek comments, but the point remains that regardless of whether they were SWAT or just a group of federal agents, they used egregious (IMHO) force to break and enter a citizen's house to search for a woman who had not repaid her student loans,and it took them SIX HOURS to determine that the woman was not there, during which time the husband and his young children were being detained.

And, dang, I was just halfway through changing the name from Remington to Mossberg on all of my 870s...

JamesCanby

Activist Member
I wonder if the application for a search warrant, which had to be signed by a judge (right?) contains the reason why a search warrant was justified? That is, what she was being accused of and why it was justified to use overwhelming force to break and enter the house? Would that application be available through FOIA?

Would Mr. Wright's copy of the search warrant contain that information?

Dreamer

Oops... My bad. They purchased Remington 870s, to replace the Mossberg 500s they had previously used...

Sorry about that...

But if you read the Req they put out, they are 14" barrelled SBS's.

Because we know how dangerous those people who lie on their Student Aid forms are--and we need to have super-tactical mall-ninja response teams to track them down... :uhoh:

Last edited:

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
http://animalnewyork.com/2011/06/de...t-in-swat-but-not-for-defaulted-student-loan/

-------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a statement from our press secretary, Justin Hamilton:
“Yesterday, the Department of Education’s Office of Inspector General executed a search warrant at a Stockton, Calif., residence with the presence of local law enforcement authorities.
While it was reported in local media that the search was related to a defaulted student loan, that is incorrect. This is related to a criminal investigation. The Inspector General’s Office does not execute search warrants for late loan payments.
Because this is an ongoing criminal investigation, we can’t comment on the specifics of the case. We can say that the OIG’s office conducts about 30-35 search warrants a year on issues such as bribery, fraud, and embezzlement of federal student aid funds.
All further questions on this issue should be directed to the Department of Education’s Inspector General’s Office.”
Sara Gast
U.S. Department of Education Press Office
----------------------------------------------------------------------

We will see, I hope.

ETA: I like Reason's write up much better.
http://reason.com/blog/2011/06/08/dept-of-education-swat-team-up

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member

Thundar

stay safe.

Didn't we have a thread a while back that asked "Why does the Dept of Education need shotguns?

Well, now we know why. Dept. of Education is executing search warrants.

riverrat10k

Gosh, sorry, eye95. I guess cops in body armour and carrying automatic weapons all look like SWAT teams to us laymen. From now on, I will just refer to all similarly attired "officers" as "The Secret Police", "Stormtroopers", or perhaps "Mis-guided Law Enforcement Wage Slaves ."

PracticalTactical

It could yet be related to student loan debt.

In some states, people are frequently arrested over matters of debt, not over the debt itself, but for not showing up to a court hearing over the debt.

It's possible that DOE initiated some court action in a federal court, and was then tasked with hauling her in to see the judge, so now the crime isn't the debt itself, but failure to appear.

But, still, this insane level of force is entirely unjustified for any education-related crime I can think of.