• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is there any interest in a North Milwaukee OC meet and greet?

treebound

I would love to know why you think this location is bad for you...?
Well?

Well, first off I didn't say it was bad for me, I asked if it was a good location. Let me expand a bit:

The company I used to work at near there had regular vehicle break-ins in the parking lot during daylight work hours even with several security cameras watching the parking lot.

The soccer complex has numerous signs stating to not leave valuables in your car.

The Half Price Books store has in the last couple of years hired security people for inside the store.

There have been armed robberies in broad daylight near there on the sidewalk where the suspects used a shotgun, not just a small handgun hidden from passing traffic.

When I buy gas a few blocks from there it is very common to see empty crack packets and other drug debris laying on the ground by the pumps.

On the plus side there is now a Ray's BMX indoor bicycle park in the former Menard's store on 76th. And the Olive Garden still seems to be alive and doing well. Plus there is one of the few remaining IHOP's in the region, both IHOP and the Olive Garden are up on Brown Deer Road.

So, I'm not saying it is a bad place to meet, just that I think there might be regional sensitivities to consider.

I am looking forward to reading the followup reports, and I honestly hope all goes well. I'm not trying to be confrontational about the proposed regular meeting place, it just wouldn't be my first choice. I'm in that area several times a week and I've never been robbed nor had my vehicle broken into, but that doesn't mean I don't have concerns about the potential. YMMV.

Have a great meeting, and I mean that honestly and without sarcasm.

Last edited:

AaronS

Most of the parking can be seen from the stores. Half in the Starbucks will be armed...

Oh, and MKEgal is going to come...

I think we should be just fine.:)

I shop at the Pick n Save a few times a week. Never had any issues with anyone. I am sure crime does happen though.

Had to add, I did call and let them know I was thinking about ten or so friends might stop in and out from 1-3. No prob.

Last edited:

XDFDE45

I'm there
thumbsup.gif

MKEgal

AaronS said:
Most of the parking can be seen from the stores.
Half in the Starbucks will be armed...
Oh, and MKEgal is going to come...
I think we should be just fine.:)
The first 2 I understand, but what does my presence have to do with anything? :question:
If you listen to Paul, I'm trouble. :lol:
I don't know where he got that idea. :rolleyes:

M

McX

leaving in less than an hour, sure hope this fancy GPS dont send me to Chicago by mistake, taking the printed route along too.

oops, my bad, starts at 1 pm, leave just before 12. better be either zombies, 1911's, or cheeseburgers there. should we wear knee pads for when we are proned out?

Last edited:

Jason in WI

Looking forward to Carmel frappicino! Don't really know how to spell it but, it sure is tasty!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

MKEgal

treebound said:
I read this to mean that MKEgal has a calming influence on situations.
Hasn't helped the last couple times (OK, the only times) I've had nonconsensual interactions with police.

OK, I need to get 'outdoor' clothes on & be on my way.

M

McX

sorry, tried to get there, endured a 35 min traffic jam coming from the south, then called home to deal with brat kids. so much for my day.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Couldn't Make This One....

I already had plans for Lizzy's with a few others so we went there. Got there at 9 this morning and left when they closed at 2 this afternoon.

We had a few interactions with the locals and it was all good!

MKEgal

Steve, glad to know it wasn't anything serious, but we missed you.
The cheeseburger was tasty...

Very few customers noticed our hardware, none ran in terror (no-one ran at all), no police, staff seemed cool with us.
Next month we'll be at 56th & Capitol. Haven't decided a date yet, but Sunday the 10th would be in 4 weeks. Would that work for people?
5610 W Capitol Dr.
Milwaukee, WI
414 442-9603

And when we get back to real summer weather, we've also discussed meeting for custard,
maybe on a weekday evening?
Kopp's on Bluemound in Brookfield was suggested;
there's a Culver's next to the Starbuck's we were at today;
there's a Culver's just south of the baseball stadium (have to avoid a game night!);
there's a Culver's on 124th just south of Capitol.

The last 2 are easy to access from freeways.
Both Kopp's & the 124th St. Culver's tend to be well-populated.
Tuesday nights the 124th St. Culver's has bike night, so will be even better-populated, plus having eye candy.

Last edited:

AaronS

sorry, tried to get there, endured a 35 min traffic jam coming from the south, then called home to deal with brat kids. so much for my day.

Sorry to hear this, I was looking foward to seeing you again.
Side note, it sure was a bummer to have to toss all them fresh cheeseburgers in the trash. We just could not finish them all...

Next time my friend. Your first burger is "on me".

Jason in WI

I was getting a bit worried about you McX! No one had your number and we were afraid you tossed the fancy GPS out the window after she told you what to do and were winging it! Man did you miss the ginormous pile of cheeseburgers :lol:.

We got there a bit late because of the traffic and crazy routing, took me a minute to figure out why my GPS (traffic aware) was sending me all over the world. Forgot there was a brewer game until we were almost there.

The get together was great! Nobody got proned out and the customers weren't running around in a panic :rolleyes: The staff was real friendly and of course the costumers didn't pay us any attention. This meet was one of the most relaxed I've been to in a while, partly because there wasn't many of us and partly the mood set by the other customers working on there laptops enjoying their java.

Nice to talk with Aaron, I've seen him at a few events but never really chatted with him. As always it was nice to see XDFDE45, protias, and MKEgal again. Looking forward to the next one, I hope I can make that too. A nice get together at the custard place would be great on a warm night!

For those of you not familiar with Milwaukee and are worried about the neighbor hood, they don't really have Starbucks in the "core" and your pretty much good to go as long as it isn't night :p. And of course if MKEgal is there your safe :lol:.

Besides getting a nice caffeine buzz we scored some free instant coffee samples from the barista and a bunch of brass ;) (Thanks MKEgal).