• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

On the Gov's desk.

RRobaldo

SB-234 is now on Gov. Scott's desk. It should be law or vetoed within the next few days if he works as quickly as he has with other bills.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I have a feeling this was the plan from the beginning. Now anyone who CCs, weather they accidentally expose or not, but are known to the LEO to have a CWFL, can now be arrested, prosecuted, and incarcerated based solely on false testimony of a corrupt cop.

I'm inclined to mail my CWFL back and stop carrying altogether. It's just too dangerous now.

~*'Phoenix'*~

If I had to guess, I would say its going to get a veto.

I wish, but I seriously doubt it. Gov. Scott's conservative and pro-gun, but he hasn't struck me as the sharpest tool in the shed. I doubt he'll see the problems and unconstitutionality of this :(

~*'Phoenix'*~

I guess I will, but he hasn't vetoed ANYTHING yet... except for most of the budget of course

Last edited:

sniper1

I just sent this

Gov Scott,

As a natural born Floridian, and a firearm enthusiast I am implore you to VETO SB-234. This bill is drastically different than what was originally penned at the beginning of the legislative process. The Florida State Senate managed to mangle this bill into such a mess that it could actually do more harm than good for those citizens who choose to carry a firearm concealed.

I beg you to send this bill back to the House and Senate and tell them to give us a bill that restores the right for Florida’s citizens to openly carry a firearm.

j4l

Wow,that's almost creepy. Nearly word-for-word what I sent him-but with the additional mention that some of us are working to put some new faces in that senate to deal with as a result of that clusterf--k

~*'Phoenix'*~

I wrote too, asking him to urge the senate to pass legislation to truly restore our rights and not just sweep us under the rug like 234 would do if passed.

"... we already took care of that last year..."

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
mach1chris said:
Well guys I just wanted to stop by and say, bye... I dont think I will be posting on here till next year...
^ a while ago
Well guys, read SB234 and read it carefully. It says "brifely and openly display under certain circumstances" what are the circumstances besides the wind blowing lol!!
^now
?

Anywho, I thought the final version that is going to his desk says this:

"It
34 is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to
35 carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who
36 is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly
37 and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another
38 person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an
39 angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense."

Can anyone clarify?

~*'Phoenix'*~

I'm gonna interpret it as, when I'm not near lots of people, I'll "openly and briefly" display my "concealed firearm." Woods, park, maybe even, say, a redneck flea market where everyone is buying selling and wandering around with shotguns on their shoulders anyway? When someone complains, or an officer arrives? "Oh, sorry, I didn't know it was showing that much."

~*'Phoenix'*~

make sure you have a paper with all the laws in your walet just in case you have a officer that is trying to make a scene.

Yeah, I would as backup... I'm not one who's willing to make too much of a scene to tests the limits though...

Did I just read a LEO support my suggestion to try out the "Brief"-OC-and-see-what-happens?:shocker:

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
I'm gonna interpret it as, when I'm not near lots of people, I'll "openly and briefly" display my "concealed firearm." Woods, park, maybe even, say, a redneck flea market where everyone is buying selling and wandering around with shotguns on their shoulders anyway? When someone complains, or an officer arrives? "Oh, sorry, I didn't know it was showing that much."

Brilliance. Completely defensible under this vague new law. Believe me folks, although it may cause arrests, acquittals will be very easy to come by until the entire law gets quashed by the DCA.

Example 2: @ihop with friends and you want to show them the new sight on your 1911. You pull it out, show it, and take it back into the holster. Brief, not angry, and the entire show may have taken 15 seconds. No clip, no round in the chamber: violation or not?

Let the fight begin about this vague language. This little law may usher in a good year for criminal lawyers.

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
Email Scott ask him to Veto it

A step is a step Mach1chris. Let's let the fight continue with a tiny bit more freedom on the citizen's side, and a little more confusion for those in your profession (and mine, thankfully).

77zach

Briefly.

I can't believe they're putting this language into statute. Pushing the law is generally considered poor form and counterproductive. But when your rights are grossly violated and the law is this vague and stupid it begs to be willfully tested. When they come after us we can then say, 'see NRA, it didn't work, now lets go for the real thing.' Briefly can mean anything to anyone. If all LEOs were pro rights like us, the new language could be interpreted as allowing OC everywhere all the time, because our opinions could assign a value of hours to "briefly." If there are 24 hours in a day and I'm in a store for 15 minutes OCing, I'm in the store for a brief part of the day.

10x

Briefly.

Briefly can mean anything to anyone. If all LEOs were pro rights like us, the new language could be interpreted as allowing OC everywhere all the time, because our opinions could assign a value of hours to "briefly." If there are 24 hours in a day and I'm in a store for 15 minutes OCing, I'm in the store for a brief part of the day.

That is a good point you make, do you thing there is a loophole here in our favor?

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Well guys, read SB234 and read it carefully. It says "brifely and openly display under certain circumstances" what are the circumstances besides the wind blowing lol!!

Perhaps the hot air involved in the statute itself? Hell, that much hot air could keep my firearm exposed at all times... So it's all their fault! :p