Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: Was told by my credit union I cannot carry there

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Clio, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    363

    Was told by my credit union I cannot carry there

    I have been carrying into this credit union for over a couple years and today a lady confronted me and this is pretty much how it went

    She - Sir, you can't have that in here
    Me - Legally I can
    She - No you can't (as she points to the front door) its posted on our. . . well it used to be (then mumbled something about a fire drill or something inaudable)
    Me - There has never been a sign that is why I have been doing it
    She - Well that's our policy
    Me - I am licensed to carry it this way
    She - I belive you are, but if you get jumped then everybody in here is in danger
    Me - I am sorry you feel that way and though i don't understand your policy I will respect it.

    That was it pretty much how it went down. so if I would have been CCing there they would never have said anything and i could defend myself. I kick myself for not having an audio recording. haven't had any altercations in such a long time I've almost forgot about my trusty recorder. I think I am going to write them a letter. let me know your thoughts on the situation.

    Devery

  2. #2
    Activist Member JamesCanby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by manicdevery View Post
    I have been carrying into this credit union for over a couple years and today a lady confronted me and this is pretty much how it went

    She - Sir, you can't have that in here
    Me - Legally I can
    She - No you can't (as she points to the front door) its posted on our. . . well it used to be (then mumbled something about a fire drill or something inaudable)
    Me - There has never been a sign that is why I have been doing it
    She - Well that's our policy
    Me - I am licensed to carry it this way
    She - I belive you are, but if you get jumped then everybody in here is in danger
    Me - I am sorry you feel that way and though i don't understand your policy I will respect it.

    That was it pretty much how it went down. so if I would have been CCing there they would never have said anything and i could defend myself. I kick myself for not having an audio recording. haven't had any altercations in such a long time I've almost forgot about my trusty recorder. I think I am going to write them a letter. let me know your thoughts on the situation.

    Devery
    I believe that I would have ended the conversation with, "And since you do not believe in a citizen's Constitutional right to self-defense, please close my account and give me my funds."

  3. #3
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    I believe that I would have ended the conversation with, "And since you do not believe in a citizen's Constitutional right to self-defense, please close my account and give me my funds."
    What he said. But it's your personal choice.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  4. #4
    Regular Member RenegadeMarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fraser, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    I believe that I would have ended the conversation with, "And since you do not believe in a citizen's Constitutional right to self-defense, please close my account and give me my funds."
    Yep this!

  5. #5
    Regular Member LibertyDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Inland Empire, CA
    Posts
    129
    I totally agree.

  6. #6
    Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Allegan co Michigan, USA
    Posts
    345
    Money in hand and conversation over.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Outdoorsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Genesee County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    273
    Can/will you say what Credit Union it is?

  8. #8
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    1) Thank you, and as a member and partial owner of this union, may I have your name to bring up at the next board member's meeting?
    2) and thanks again, I shall be sure to mention your name when I tell customer retention why I am withdrawing my money from this institution and recommending all my friends to the same, and recounting this meeting as widely as I can and recommending to everyone I meet that they also withdraw their money.

  9. #9
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    I believe that I would have ended the conversation with, "And since you do not believe in a citizen's Constitutional right to self-defense, please close my account and give me my funds."
    Too many choices for that nonsense- I'd immediately ask for the manager, and close my account on the spot. Can anyone think of a good reason not to? There's one on every corner.....

    While they're certainly welcome & entitled to their views on the world, so am I. Bye.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    Too many choices for that nonsense- I'd immediately ask for the manager, and close my account on the spot. Can anyone think of a good reason not to? There's one on every corner.....

    While they're certainly welcome & entitled to their views on the world, so am I. Bye.
    i would give the Credit Union a chance to correct the employee after speking to management. If they agree with what was said my accounts would be closed.

  11. #11
    Regular Member eastmeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,383
    Sounds like one person with a problem. Did you ask for a manager or a supervisor? I would have politely let her know I disagree with her, and that I will continue to fallow the law (btw you are not trespassing until you are asked to leave by the owner or their agent, not just some teller). I would have simply of went about my business, after trying to reason with her, if she wasn't having it, I would have ignored her. This is my $0.02.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

    "Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

  12. #12
    Regular Member eastmeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by maustin195 View Post
    i would give the Credit Union a chance to correct the employee after speking to management. If they agree with what was said my accounts would be closed.
    Basically
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

    "Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Clio, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    363
    I did not ask for the manager, I was immediatly wondering how I am going to word this letter i am going to send.

    I do not know everything that will be in the letter but one thing will be, "I will be a drive through costumer only until this issue is resolved, The only thing my carrying a firearm has done is raise money for toys for tots, carehouses and many other activities that benefit the community." I thought about just closing my account but i think that i am going to be patient for a minute and see what i can get out of this. I think i personally thought every comment you guys put on this post so far.

    Devery

  14. #14
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by maustin195 View Post
    i would give the Credit Union a chance to correct the employee after speking to management. If they agree with what was said my accounts would be closed.
    This!

    From the conversation relayed above, I would assume it is just this one person until proven otherwise by the Manager. I would go back and speak with the manager and have applicable laws and other information printed out with me for discussion purposes (MCL 750.234d, MCL 28.425o, MSP Legal Update #86, etc).

  15. #15
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445
    Quote Originally Posted by manicdevery View Post
    I did not ask for the manager, I was immediatly wondering how I am going to word this letter i am going to send.

    I do not know everything that will be in the letter but one thing will be, "I will be a drive through costumer only until this issue is resolved, The only thing my carrying a firearm has done is raise money for toys for tots, carehouses and many other activities that benefit the community." I thought about just closing my account but i think that i am going to be patient for a minute and see what i can get out of this. I think i personally thought every comment you guys put on this post so far.

    Devery
    Get rid of the drive thru crap, tell them you will close all accounts and do business elsewhere if they don't change their "policy". Lots of other CUs and banks..
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,756
    Quote Originally Posted by eastmeyers View Post
    Sounds like one person with a problem. Did you ask for a manager or a supervisor? I would have politely let her know I disagree with her, and that I will continue to fallow the law (btw you are not trespassing until you are asked to leave by the owner or their agent, not just some teller). I would have simply of went about my business, after trying to reason with her, if she wasn't having it, I would have ignored her. This is my $0.02.
    From:

    http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/agent

    2. There are various descriptions of agents, to whom different appellations are given according to the nature of their employments; as brokers, factors, supercargoes, attorneys, and the like; they are all included in this general term. The authority is created either by deed, by simple writing, by parol, or by mere employment, according to the capacity of the parties, or the nature of the act to be done. It is, therefore, express or implied. Vide Authority.

    It would seem to me that any employee can be, could be, or is, an "agent" of the owner as long as the owner is willing to let a teller, janitor, secretary, snow removal guy, lawn caretaker, what ever, have the authority to require folks to leave the business. Somehow my cynical nature makes me tend to believe the owner/manager would side with the employee after the fact anyway.

    Correct? Incorrect?
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

  17. #17
    Regular Member eastmeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    From:

    http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/agent

    2. There are various descriptions of agents, to whom different appellations are given according to the nature of their employments; as brokers, factors, supercargoes, attorneys, and the like; they are all included in this general term. The authority is created either by deed, by simple writing, by parol, or by mere employment, according to the capacity of the parties, or the nature of the act to be done. It is, therefore, express or implied. Vide Authority.

    It would seem to me that any employee can be, could be, or is, an "agent" of the owner as long as the owner is willing to let a teller, janitor, secretary, snow removal guy, lawn caretaker, what ever, have the authority to require folks to leave the business. Somehow my cynical nature makes me tend to believe the owner/manager would side with the employee after the fact anyway.

    Correct? Incorrect?
    Very true, but unless it she made it known to me that she was in fact the owner or an agent of the owner, I stand by my previous statement. If she claimed to be the owner or agent, I would do my research and find out if she in fact is. If she is not, I would personally print off the definition of fraud, and the laws regarding it, and hand it to her, telling her that I would be nice and not press charges, for her ignorance, as long as I received an apology. But then again, I am a softy. I would of course be polite while doing this, as I always am while I OC.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

    "Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    inkster, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    150
    i do not know of a single Credit union that is not posted on carry for cc/oc

  19. #19
    Regular Member eastmeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by khicks View Post
    i do not know of a single Credit union that is not posted on carry for cc/oc
    What do you mean? You don't know of a CU that has a sign, or one that doesn't have a sign?

    I have only seen no firearm signs in CU's in Wayne Co. personally.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

    "Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

  20. #20
    Regular Member RenegadeMarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fraser, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    80
    Today my fiance and I (OCing of course) went to her credit union to add my name to her accounts. So I guess that means it is my credit union now too lol. Anyway, there were no signs posted, we were there for about 45 mins, spoke with several employees, no comments, no weird looks, just great service. They even printed our new debt cards right on the spot!

  21. #21
    Regular Member eastmeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMarine View Post
    Today my fiance and I (OCing of course) went to her credit union to add my name to her accounts. So I guess that means it is my credit union now too lol. Anyway, there were no signs posted, we were there for about 45 mins, spoke with several employees, no comments, no weird looks, just great service. They even printed our new debt cards right on the spot!
    Cool they printed your cards! Sweet! Kinda like when you go to a red state and and go to the DMV.
    Last edited by eastmeyers; 06-09-2011 at 12:31 AM.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

    "Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

  22. #22
    Regular Member M-Taliesin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts
    1,504
    Howdy Folks!
    My credit union has never voiced alarm over my sidearm worn in a holster on my right hip. Never said anything untoward to me about that. I also have a bank I use and they have seen me walk in with my holstered pistol and never had anything to say about the matter.

    But the difference here is credit unions.
    According to the ones around here, or at least the ones I deal with, the members are the owners. Members of the credit union have voting rights for officers who run the show. They have 'shares' of the business.

    Considering something said about agents of the owner, I'd think such a broad application of agency of a "member owned" institution would make appointing such agents rather cumbersome. Would that not require a broad opinion of the membership?

    If the credit union is member owned, how can any such agent reasonably go up against one of the owners?

    Here are a few phrases found on my credit union website:

    ****** is a progressive, member-owned credit union with a full range of financial services.

    While banks focus on their shareholders and their stock value, ******* exists to serve our members, not ourselves.

    We focus on you. Your needs, your wants, your dreams for your future. We’re your trusted advisor, giving you personal, professional advice on everything from buying a car to saving for retirement. We’re here to help you when you want to remodel your kitchen, set up a trust fund for your grandchildren, pay for college, or take a vacation.

    In the language of the contract between a member and the credit union itself, these words appear:
    "You" and "Your" also apply to any "agent" appointed by or acting on behalf of you to conduct transactions on the accounts... etc, etc.
    ---------------------------
    A member owned company is obligated to pay heed to their members. So, taking the matter up the managerial chain of command would likely resove the issue favorably to you in this matter. Why? Because each of the members is an owner, and each has a personal stake in the operation of the credit union itself.

    Hope that provides another direction for consideration.

    I'm just saying....

    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

  23. #23
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Originally Posted by Shadow Bear
    Too many choices for that nonsense- I'd immediately ask for the manager, and close my account on the spot. Can anyone think of a good reason not to? There's one on every corner.....

    While they're certainly welcome & entitled to their views on the world, so am I. Bye.
    i would give the Credit Union a chance to correct the employee after speking to management. If they agree with what was said my accounts would be closed.
    Of course, the manager will immediately ask why, and you can explain your position on the basic human right to self defense. He will immediately recognize that he is losing a customer based on either an errant employee or errant policy, and hopefully do the right thing. or not.
    Last edited by Shadow Bear; 06-09-2011 at 12:39 PM.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  24. #24
    Regular Member sprinklerguy28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by khicks View Post
    i do not know of a single Credit union that is not posted on carry for cc/oc
    My personal credit union and bank, MOC's bank, and my work's bank and credit union are not posted. I have never once had an issue OCing in any of them.

  25. #25
    Regular Member TheGrabber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Huron County, Michigan
    Posts
    44
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4701316576_65224b8815_m.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	5993
    I'm not a lawyer, psychologist, or LEO. This means, don't rely on my opinion to work for you.
    But I am a railroad conductor.
    “Breathes their a man with a soul so dead, that does not thrill to the sound of a passing train?”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •