• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Was told by my credit union I cannot carry there

eastmeyers

Today my fiance and I (OCing of course) went to her credit union to add my name to her accounts. So I guess that means it is my credit union now too lol. Anyway, there were no signs posted, we were there for about 45 mins, spoke with several employees, no comments, no weird looks, just great service. They even printed our new debt cards right on the spot!

Cool they printed your cards! Sweet! Kinda like when you go to a red state and and go to the DMV.

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
My credit union has never voiced alarm over my sidearm worn in a holster on my right hip. Never said anything untoward to me about that. I also have a bank I use and they have seen me walk in with my holstered pistol and never had anything to say about the matter.

But the difference here is credit unions.
According to the ones around here, or at least the ones I deal with, the members are the owners. Members of the credit union have voting rights for officers who run the show. They have 'shares' of the business.

Considering something said about agents of the owner, I'd think such a broad application of agency of a "member owned" institution would make appointing such agents rather cumbersome. Would that not require a broad opinion of the membership?

If the credit union is member owned, how can any such agent reasonably go up against one of the owners?

Here are a few phrases found on my credit union website:

****** is a progressive, member-owned credit union with a full range of financial services.

While banks focus on their shareholders and their stock value, ******* exists to serve our members, not ourselves.

We focus on you. Your needs, your wants, your dreams for your future. We’re your trusted advisor, giving you personal, professional advice on everything from buying a car to saving for retirement. We’re here to help you when you want to remodel your kitchen, set up a trust fund for your grandchildren, pay for college, or take a vacation.

In the language of the contract between a member and the credit union itself, these words appear:
"You" and "Your" also apply to any "agent" appointed by or acting on behalf of you to conduct transactions on the accounts... etc, etc.
---------------------------
A member owned company is obligated to pay heed to their members. So, taking the matter up the managerial chain of command would likely resove the issue favorably to you in this matter. Why? Because each of the members is an owner, and each has a personal stake in the operation of the credit union itself.

Hope that provides another direction for consideration.

I'm just saying....

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Originally Posted by Shadow Bear
Too many choices for that nonsense- I'd immediately ask for the manager, and close my account on the spot. Can anyone think of a good reason not to? There's one on every corner.....

While they're certainly welcome & entitled to their views on the world, so am I. Bye.
i would give the Credit Union a chance to correct the employee after speking to management. If they agree with what was said my accounts would be closed.
Of course, the manager will immediately ask why, and you can explain your position on the basic human right to self defense. He will immediately recognize that he is losing a customer based on either an errant employee or errant policy, and hopefully do the right thing. or not.

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
That really sorta sucks. Have they a website? Can you read whether this credit union is member owned? Might make a difference.

Meanwhile, what do they think about concealed carry? Are they going to do pat downs to see if customers are carrying? Frisk each customer entering the credit union?

Considering their position, I'd yank my accounts after finding another credit union where they do not abuse their members in this way.

That's my personal opinion, and I think their sign is going to cause them more trouble than it is worth to them.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

NHCGRPR45

Sounds like one person with a problem. Did you ask for a manager or a supervisor? I would have politely let her know I disagree with her, and that I will continue to fallow the law (btw you are not trespassing until you are asked to leave by the owner or their agent, not just some teller). I would have simply of went about my business, after trying to reason with her, if she wasn't having it, I would have ignored her. This is my $0.02.

The teller is indeed an agent.

I did not ask for the manager, I was immediatly wondering how I am going to word this letter i am going to send.

I do not know everything that will be in the letter but one thing will be, "I will be a drive through costumer only until this issue is resolved, The only thing my carrying a firearm has done is raise money for toys for tots, carehouses and many other activities that benefit the community." I thought about just closing my account but i think that i am going to be patient for a minute and see what i can get out of this. I think i personally thought every comment you guys put on this post so far.

Devery

I would hold off on the letter and ask a manager if this is indeed the policy, if so you could could close the account or not. Its sometimes these things can be done with reason. Try to change the system by informing first, then if that fails take the next step.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/agent

2. There are various descriptions of agents, to whom different appellations are given according to the nature of their employments; as brokers, factors, supercargoes, attorneys, and the like; they are all included in this general term. The authority is created either by deed, by simple writing, by parol, or by mere employment, according to the capacity of the parties, or the nature of the act to be done. It is, therefore, express or implied. Vide Authority.

It would seem to me that any employee can be, could be, or is, an "agent" of the owner as long as the owner is willing to let a teller, janitor, secretary, snow removal guy, lawn caretaker, what ever, have the authority to require folks to leave the business. Somehow my cynical nature makes me tend to believe the owner/manager would side with the employee after the fact anyway.

Correct? Incorrect?

Maybe, maybe not, I was asked by a Wal-Mart employee to leave and I asked for a manager and he apologised for his employee's action. The employee was not a "lover of guns" IMHO. The manager was at first on the employee's side and all it took was 5 minutes of polite discussion of the law and a friendly handshake. ;)

kubel

I would ask a manager if it was indeed their policy. If it was, I would close my account on the spot and find a financial institution (preferably another credit union) to put my money into that same day.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
I would ask a manager if it was indeed their policy. If it was, I would close my account on the spot and find a financial institution (preferably another credit union) to put my money into that same day.

You could probably get a cashier's check for safety (but who's gonna rob ab armed man?)

Make sure you're obviously OC when you go to check out a new CU- it they balk, keep moving.

As far as the photo- holy smokes!!!:cuss:

wolverine1856

Genisys credit union has recently posted signs at the branch locations. I have a huge problem with this and will try to correct the problem. If not then I wil be moving my accounts. Did the OP ever post the particular CU?

M-Taliesin

Genisys credit union has recently posted signs at the branch locations. I have a huge problem with this and will try to correct the problem. If not then I wil be moving my accounts. Did the OP ever post the particular CU?

Howdy Wolverine!
He posted a photo that announced it was "Team One Credit Union".

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Sheldon

Sounds like one person with a problem. Did you ask for a manager or a supervisor? I would have politely let her know I disagree with her, and that I will continue to fallow the law (btw you are not trespassing until you are asked to leave by the owner or their agent, not just some teller). I would have simply of went about my business, after trying to reason with her, if she wasn't having it, I would have ignored her. This is my $0.02.

Make it 4 cents.....

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I agree with Venator, drop the drive thru BS. They're not gonna care if you ever come inside again, as long as they have your money, that's what counts to them. So, you either close your account, or you don't. Any thing else is just window dressing.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
I agree with Venator, drop the drive thru BS. They're not gonna care if you ever come inside again, as long as they have your money, that's what counts to them. So, you either close your account, or you don't. Any thing else is just window dressing.

what he said

autosurgeon

interesting, the credit union thinks that the 4th amendment is suspended inside their building

Constitution has almost no bearing on private property rights. I say almost as the protected classes are the exception.

So the credit union says no armed venders... hmmm is the armored car guy a vendor?

Sent from my Droid Flipside using Tapatalk