• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blood Boiling - Fired for preventing a robbery

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2011/0...robbery-gets-fired/?ncid=txtlnkuscare00000002

"If an employee at your store foiled a robbery and saved the lives of customers and workers alike by firing a concealed weapon he was licensed to carry, would you:

A. Promote him and give him a raise.

B. Honor him as a hero and give him a bonus.

C. Unceremoniously fire him.

A Walgreens in Benton Township, Mich., chose 'C' recently, by letting night-shift pharmacist Jeremy Hoven go for firing a handgun during an armed robbery, causing masked gunmen to flee."

scm54449

Opt-Out Members
I'm all for a boycott of Walgreens. At the corporate level their business practices on their pharmaceutical side are nothing less than predatory. On the medical equipment side they treat their employees as a disposable "resource", and would sell their own grandparents for $.02.

That Walgreens would favor a corporate "risk management strategy" drafted by lawyers operating in the safety of their offices to favor profit over ethics and punish the integrity and courage of an employee who works in an environment that carries intrinsic risk for personal harm is really a no brainer. Walgreens is an excellent example of what happens when greed is substituted for ambition and honesty...not that this couldn't be said of many corporations around the globe...I'm just sayin'......

Last edited:
M

McX

our *

* turf removed as politically incorrect, replaced by zone of envolvement. thank you.

Last edited:

cleveland

I recently changed from Walgreen's to getting my prescriptions at Target because of the better prices. With a deductible like mine, I feel the squeeze of every dollar of a prescription. Feeling even better about that now.

Is this where someone tells me that Target is anti-gun. That would sure be ironic. :)

M

McX

so were pretty much done with going to Walgreens state wide then?

LR Yote 312

Last few years or so Walgreens has gotten more than just a little full of themselves.

We have switched away from them and tried other locations, as well as other pharmacies....including Wally Worlds.
Doc wrote me a script for some codeine cough syrup....Wally Worlds version of the codeine cough syrup wouldnt even slow down a sick kid as it was so watered down and diluted.

For one reason or another we always end up back with Walgreens.

LR Yote

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I worked at a Walgreens as a night cashier/ Stocker back in the early 90's for 4 years. Their Corp policy is Give the robber what ever they want, do not fight JUST HAND IT OVER to them - They have insurance & that's what it's there for. You have to remember they are HQ in Deerfield, IL & the CEO's are uber Liberal with regards to guns & law suits from employee's possible putting other customers or employee's in harms way are not profitable. I do not shop at Walgreens...Expect all Walgreens stores to post ORANGE signs when we get Concealed Carry. When I need a Script filled I go to CVS

Last edited:

baldp8

I am a pharmacist and have questioned whether or not I would be fired if I prevented a robbery with a gun. We have to be available 24/7 and sometimes have to go in the middle of the night to get meds for patients in need. Company policy says no guns. When I am on call, I am usually ready to respond to a threat. I am assuming I would be fired, but willing to take my chances.

M

McX

Give the robber what ever they want, do not fight JUST HAND IT OVER to them

interesting concept, but as we recently learned, watching Constitutional carry get boiled down to CC Permit by the legislators, i would tend to respond to a criminal robber with: this is what you want.........however, this is what you get: Bang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lv1nRmaeoU

Last edited: