• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knife pulled on me defendent charged with assault 2

bayfire66

Ok this happened to me last weds night at my former roomates house.We are freinds and liked to drink together and I would come over and visit.I never carry my firearm when I drink because that would open a can of worms.Well she decided to drink 2 bottles of wine that night and smoke some green vegetable matter,to make a long story short she suddenly went into a black out and decided to tackle me and start beating the crap out of me in a druken rage of course I just took the beating cause I was taught never to hit a woman,after that was said and done she proceeded to go ito the kitchen to grab a chefs knife and started to lunge at me yelling at me to get out of the house,I had a few beers that night but in no way was I intoxicated to the point that I could not make a sound judgement.Would I have been justified to use lethal force at this point?I had a witness during this whole thing too.

amlevin

.Would I have been justified to use lethal force at this point?I had a witness during this whole thing too.

Was the witness as "stoned" as your friend? If so you'd probably be screwed if you used deadly force.

This would be a good use of a "Nanny Cam" to record the whole evening just in case things got out of hand (as they did).

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Time to end this friendship. Time to consider who you associate with.

Would deadly force be appropriate? Is the person that beat you capable of killing you or causing severe bodily injury?

p.s. deadly force does not necessarily mean a firearm...

bayfire66

the witness was not under any influence and i was i n the process of leaving after she beat on me when she pulled the chef knife on me it all happened in a matter of mins.regardless of the situation that does not make it right for someone to try to hurt someone with a weapon.You would have to have been there to know.By the way my freind is a family law lawyer.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
the witness was not under any influence and i was i n the process of leaving after she beat on me when she pulled the chef knife on me it all happened in a matter of mins.regardless of the situation that does not make it right for someone to try to hurt someone with a weapon.You would have to have been there to know.By the way my freind is a family law lawyer.

I would not have to be there to know. Why? Because I would not be there, that is a choice I would of made either before the night or very early on in the night. You say regardless of the situation.... false.... the situation is what you must consider before and during your involvement. You choose those friends and you choose to watch this person drink 2 bottles of wine and you choose to watch them smoke pot. That is a lot of choices that led to you being involved in this. Situations are a matter of choices.

onlurker

...long story short she suddenly went into a black out and decided to tackle me and start beating the crap out of me in a druken rage of course I just took the beating cause I was taught never to hit a woman...

Here's your problem. If a person is assaulting you such as you state, I feel you have the legal right to defend yourself. Sex of the person makes no difference and a lot of the continued assault could have ended differently if you had fought back IMO.

hermannr

Many years ago when our daughters were teenagers, our third daughter went to a "party" with one of her friends. Well there was a lot of alcohol and other things at the party and things got out of hand. The cops came and.... Conclusion, she was arrested for MIP. Did she actually have a drink/smoke in her hand at the time the cops arrived? No, but it was present there and everyone that was there was arrested and charged with MIP or supplying to a minor.

Moral of the story...When the booze (if you are a teen) and vegi matter (until the law changes) comes out, it is time to leave....because they will arrest you too...if you are participating, or not.

MKEgal

What they said:
1) make better choices, in friends & activities.

2) forget that $h|t about not hitting women. If someone's attacking you, defend yourself. Someone with a knife can kill you no matter what plumbing s/he has.

3) if she's coming at you w/ a knife, yes you could shoot. It'd be better to get out of the house quickly, though, if you can. Less mess, physically & legally. Much less expensive too.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
srsly bra'h???

of course I just took the beating cause I was taught never to hit a woman,.
How do you call someone an idiot with out actually calling them an idiot?

So because some person told you never to hit a woman, you let women beat the crap out of you? I guess common sense is more rare than I thought these days.

jbone

Learn any lessons from your beating, and are still friends with them?

G20-IWB24/7

i was i n the process of leaving after she beat on me when she pulled the chef knife on me it all happened in a matter of mins.

"In the process of leaving" "it all happened in a matter of mins."

How much of a process would it be if you were getting your a$$ handed to you by some street thugs... forget polite, get out NOW!!! And if she was punching/striking you, etc... you don't have to break your never-hit-girls rule by simply pushing her off of you and walking out of the door.

And being a lawyer doesn't mean you can't do stupid things... just ask Bill Clinton.

amzbrady

MKEgal;1549212[B said:
]What they said:[/B]
1) make better choices, in friends & activities.

2) forget that $h|t about not hitting women. If someone's attacking you, defend yourself. Someone with a knife can kill you no matter what plumbing s/he has.

3) if she's coming at you w/ a knife, yes you could shoot. It'd be better to get out of the house quickly, though, if you can. Less mess, physically & legally. Much less expensive too.

I am reminded of a couple sayings that I live by. First one is "Birds of a feather, flock together", and "If you dont touch $h!t, you wont smell like $h!t"...

Last edited:

dadada

I also never hit a woman, but having said that, I've also been taught that women don't hit. If someone throws a punch at me, they should expect one to be coming back at them. If a female throws the first punch, for a certain amount of time she has forfeited the protection of being a woman/lady. You want to be treated like June Cleaver? Act like June Cleaver. Equal rights means equal responsibilities.

Second, WWBD? (What would Birk do?) Use the cops own argument. A knife is a very deadly weapon, an attacker can cover 20(?) feet in x amount of time, bullet proof vests don't stop knives and you don't even have a bullet proof vest on, etc... To paraphrase a famous quote, "stupid #$#$#$@, bringing a knife to a gun fight!"

sudden valley gunner

I think Women commit more assault than what they are accredited for. Look at the statistics they kill their children many times more than men. I just think that because of the physical difference between men and women that women don't fair as well in the altercations. Are also more likely to call authorities on a man than a man would on a woman.