• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This is Why You Carry

LibertyDeath

I love the people that wonder if he could have restrained the man instead of shooting him. Dude was clearly off his rocker. Since when are you required to identify yourself as a LEO during an off duty save your ass situation? Did he have to be speared by the pole first?

Daylen

Funny how some thought he should have identified himself as a cop first. I thought everyone could defend themselves; why should he have to let people know he is a cop before defending his life and limb.

We-the-People

I' curious to know if the two leg shots are because of CO training or just poor choice of where to shoot an attacker because of an unwillingness to go center mass? Got lucky this time, the leg of a charging madman are not easy to hit targets.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I am very much a pro cop guy myself. This is just one more reason why our LEOs deserve dignity and respect. When the chips are down, you really want them around to protect and serve. This man is an outstanding example of that ideal. He did what needed to be done for the safety of others around him. He fired his weapon to prevent others from being harmed. Good on him!

We hear stories of cops run amuck, and some of those get overplayed. Seldom do we hear of a great cop doing a great job. In this case, he wasn't even on the job, but still upheld the highest tradition of law enforcement.

It is commendable that he didn't shoot to kill. He saved every life in his proximity. That ain't easy.

I hope the guy gets a commendation from the city, a nice raise in pay, and the respect he deserves for doing what most folks wouldn't dare.

Well done!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Dreamer

I commend this citizen for exercising his right to defend himself from a violent attacker, but I have a few comments...

First, he's NOT a "cop" or a "police officer". He is a corrections officer. In many states, he would not be considered a "sworn law enforcement officer" and would NOT have th epower of arrest, and therefore would NOT be covered under LEOSA.

The interesting thing is that in NY, Corrections Officers ARE considered "Peace Officers" and DO have the power of arrest, and ARE allowed to carry off-duty.

Normal citizens can't get permits in Brooklyn, but it's OK for this guy, because he is one of the "anointed ones".

I can't make that point strongly enough.

Had this been an average citizen who defended himself with a firearm, he would have been arrested, jailed, and had his life ruined by the "legal system".

This Corrections Officer was NOT on duty. He was NOT acting in a LE capacity, or in the performance of his duty. He was ordering a freaking Big Mac. He was, at that moment, a "normal citizen" who just so happened to have been "given a pass" to exercise the use of deadly force in self-defense because he is member of a class of people deemed "trustworthy" by the state--a right DENIED to the vast majority of citizens in that particular jurisdiction.

The fact that he "gets a pass" for doing the same thing that would get an ordinary citizen charged with an avalanche of weapons, assault, and other criminal charges is NOT something people should be praising. It is, in fact illustrative of the corruption and stratified culture of discrimination that is endemic in anti-2A locations such as NY, and should be cause for outrage among ALL law-abiding citizens who are denied this right because the state does not deem them trustworthy enough to defend themselves.

Kudos to this citizen for defending himself and the other patrons in this restaurant.

But SHAME on NY for making it legally impossible for any other "average citizen" to exercise this same right, and for giving this man "special status" that most NY citizen are denied...

Last edited:

usamarshal

For some reason I think I heard that CO's in NY or NYC are considered police officers...not sure where I heard this, but it may or may not be true.