• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Coming Newbie Problem

M

McX

No one has seen it on the horizon yet. it just dawned on me: the world for all is about to change. we are the old guard. i suspect the exuberant youth, and those who have had enough, coupled with them that would take the gun out of the closet, and for a cruise. They will not have been here. They wont know. The cops? perhapse. They will arrest them for inadvertent violations due to being new on the boulevard. Cops wont train, they will however arrest. When we get what we get, i need pledges of old guard that will make sure the new ones, that just saw it in the paper yetesterday, wont be doing the bad manners of; dude, get your hand off your piece, turn and display- describe. Makes us look bad. I'd say Wis Carry will need to print up alot more wallet business cards go to the website things. So, anyway, if you get one fresh, like never been here or there for that matter. report it on this thread (?)
it's our job, oh joy.

M

McX

forum strength measured at 80 plus, as of 7:07 PM. Parents do you know where your children are?

M

McX

if you look at who's watchin our TV, like 89 right now, on your desktop............looking at you.............anyway. it will be wave that washes over us. surfs up dudes.

CalicoJack10

I usually try to do more than just talk about manners with the new ones. I try and train them on the responsibility that goes along with it as well as the need for training. Even if it is not with me.

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
My fear is short bus riders who care too much about their jeans and hair gel more than their understanding about the high level of responsibility.

That being said, other states have shown this to not be a significant problem.

M

McX

My fear is short bus riders who care too much about their jeans and hair gel more than their understanding about the high level of responsibility

i just hope some of them dont go 'hollywood' on this. pretty gun, girlyman...........so to speak. this one comes to mind: your in and out here kid, are you Consitutional or on the permit, please make up your mind. as once you get called upon, my sorry butt is standing next to you kind of thing.

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
I wonder if this would be a good time to get more meet and greets organized and advertized...to get those interested to talk to others who already carry...

YES... to allow the seasoned, to pass on their experience to the newbs.

LR Yote 312

oh...YEAH...i DON'T HAVE ANY !!! yahooooo ! :)

You should get some. They are good for retrieving targets at the outside range and such.

Nice try...once they realize they are the only ones walkin back and forth the whining starts and doesnt stop till ya get back home.Like the old sayin goes "If ya want something done,and done right the first time.....Ya gotta do it yourself."

I tried that by takin the step child to the range once....only thing he wanted to do was shoot....and whined when I wouldnt let him.
Informed him ammo costs money....and he wasnt spending my money for me and if he wanted to shoot then he needed to get a job and buy his own rifle and ammo.

That suggestion was as welcomed as a nuclear chili fart in an elevator or in church.

LR Yote

Lurchiron

That went over my head. ???

It means that I think that youth today has too many distractions( video games, cell phones, etc.) to concentrate on obtaining the skills to be proficent, let alone comfortable around weapons.

As such, unless trained by military service or by the ever decreasing amount of adults brought up in 2A households; that they(kids) feel no impulse or need to put in the time needed, when they can just as easy pick-up an electronic device and get lost in virtual world.

How's your head feel now???

MKEgal

GlockRDH said:
I wonder if this would be a good time to get more meet and greets organized and advertized... to get those interested to talk to others who already carry...
Oh, yes yes yes!
Esp. once the bill is law & we know what they've stuck us with.
If even 10% of us set up a meet-n-greet at a local Culver's some weekday night, or Starbucks' on a Sat. morning, we'd have the opportunity to influence lots of people.

On a related note, Dr. visit today, another patient made a big show of looking @ my (empty) holster (pistol in a locked case, in my bag... not leaving it in the car there!!), then both he & the scheduling gal asked what it was for (a pistol), & was I a cop (no, a citizen).
Then the employee & I went on to have a nice conversation.
She said she's thinking about getting a gun for protection.
Gave her names of 2 local shops I'd recommend, as well as my name & # & offered to teach her basic safety + take her to the range w/ my pistol.
She seemed enthusiastic, also concerned about safe storage.

M

McX

She said she's thinking about getting a gun for protection.

no **** sherlock-no meanness intended, the whole damn state is thinking about getting a gun.