• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns stolen from Hopewell home

chammer

$28,000 worth of guns is quite the collection. Considering that the thief didn't take anything else, I can't help but think they knew the home owner in some way (family or friend).

wylde007

$28,000 worth of guns is quite the collection. Considering that the thief didn't take anything else, I can't help but think they knew the home owner in some way (family or friend).
Definitely a targeted hit and not random thievery.

The homeowner should consider among his associates who may best fit the criteria for being a "hanger-on".

2a4all

Or perhaps was the homeowner?

ETA: Could he have learned that he was to be served with some sort of restraiing order, and didn't have enough time to stage a boating accident?

Last edited:

chammer

That's all we need... another "excuse" to ban private sales...

TFred

Well, and I'm not suggesting that it's the case here - but it will probably be looked at due to the value, but people will do anything for money if needed. That includes having something of any value being "stolen" from them in order to collect insurance fraud. Doesn't matter if its electronics, stamps, coins, firearms, etc. If it's worth money, then it's worth it to them.

Either that, or I just watch too much TruTV/Investigation Discovery lol. :lol:

TFred

Well, and I'm not suggesting that it's the case here - but it will probably be looked at due to the value, but people will do anything for money if needed. That includes having something of any value being "stolen" from them in order to collect insurance fraud. Doesn't matter if its electronics, stamps, coins, firearms, etc. If it's worth money, then it's worth it to them.

Either that, or I just watch too much TruTV/Investigation Discovery lol. :lol:
Well if the victim can't report serial numbers, then that is very suspicious.

TFred

rubberman

This being my first post and having just registered, feel free to doubt my credibility if you want. I'll gladly speak with anyone regarding the facts, so PM or email me if you'd like. I'm only posting to correct the misinformation & theories offered so far.

This happened to a close friend of mine that I have known for many years. He participates in IDPA events at the local level from time to time, so if you've been to local ranges around Richmond then you've probably passed one another at some point. This is a simple case of home burglary that could have happened to anyone and is now seemingly being blown out of proportion by various media.

Facts:
Other electronic items, etc were stolen from the home, but the media didn't report all of the facts.
Everything stolen (firearms) from the home were legally purchased & had serial numbers. All serial numbers & documentation were given to the police. It was not an insurance fraud scam, you'd need insurance on the items for that to even be a possibility. Think about it, if you had a few higher end pistols or rifles it wouldn't take much to reach the $20k+ value not to mention the cost of other items taken.
For someone in IDPA or similar orgs; how much do electronic earmuffs, range bags, ammo & other accessories cost? It all adds up quickly.

Consider this a very expensive gun safe lock lesson and overall crappy experience for the homeowner.
Put yourself in his shoes for a moment: 1. your home was robbed while you were at work, 2. electronics, firearms, jewelry, etc were stolen, 3. now other fellow enthusiasts are questioning your integrity. The guy feels bad enough without being kicked while he's down. 4. Have your home address & picture posted all over the internet/news from VA to SC basically advertising what your hobbies are and what items you possess in your home. How would you feel knowing that other criminals could consider that info inviting for another visit?
Blame the thieves that won't work for what they have and choose to prey on others instead of an honest & hard-working member of the community.

wylde007

It was not an insurance fraud scam, you'd need insurance on the items for that to even be a possibility.
Uh, homeowners insurance?

But, you have suggested there is information which the police may have omitted which do not give the proper impression of the circumstances.

All I can say about that is "Well, DUH!"

rubberman

But, you have suggested there is information which the police may have omitted which do not give the proper impression of the circumstances.

All I can say about that is "Well, DUH!"

How much coverage does a standard homeowner's policy offer on firearms? Answer = not much, mine is maybe $1500 if that much through State Farm. If you don't have addtl rider policies, etc then you are SOL beyond the standard homeowner coverage. I didn't say the police didn't report things accurately, just that the info the media passed on didn't include all of the theft details in the actual police report.

TFred

This being my first post and having just registered, feel free to doubt my credibility if you want....
Thanks for joining, and for your report. If you go back and re-read the posts here, what I see is speculation in the absence of facts. Nobody knew anything about the victim, and I'm sure you would agree that we all know people out there who could fit some of the speculation.

I am glad to know more facts, and will be eager to say that I hope everything works out for the victim and that somehow his property is recovered.

There is a line between convenience and security when it comes to locking up our guns... fast access, convenient lock-up procedure, security that will withstand intense efforts to circumvent. There is no perfect solution, but we always seek it.

TFred

TFred

I guess I always took for granted that my homeowners policy covered the house and everything in it.

Maybe I should look into that.
Seems there was a thread recently that talked about some insurance companies that choose to not cover homeowners with firearms... better take a minute to ensure that is not the case, or you may be insurance shopping sooner than you wanted to be.

TFred

Felix

I guess I always took for granted that my homeowners policy covered the house and everything in it.

Maybe I should look into that.

Yep, you definitely should. Most homeowner policies have a very low firearms cap just like rubberman said, even if serial numbers are on file with the insuring company. Nearly all require an additional-cost firearms rider. And those riders can get deep in your pocket, especially if you don't keep your firearms locked in a safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This being my first post and having just registered, feel free to doubt my credibility if you want. I'll gladly speak with anyone regarding the facts, so PM or email me if you'd like. I'm only posting to correct the misinformation & theories offered so far.

This happened to a close friend of mine that I have known for many years. He participates in IDPA events at the local level from time to time, so if you've been to local ranges around Richmond then you've probably passed one another at some point. This is a simple case of home burglary that could have happened to anyone and is now seemingly being blown out of proportion by various media.

Facts:
Other electronic items, etc were stolen from the home, but the media didn't report all of the facts.
Everything stolen (firearms) from the home were legally purchased & had serial numbers. All serial numbers & documentation were given to the police. It was not an insurance fraud scam, you'd need insurance on the items for that to even be a possibility. Think about it, if you had a few higher end pistols or rifles it wouldn't take much to reach the $20k+ value not to mention the cost of other items taken.
For someone in IDPA or similar orgs; how much do electronic earmuffs, range bags, ammo & other accessories cost? It all adds up quickly.

Consider this a very expensive gun safe lock lesson and overall crappy experience for the homeowner.
Put yourself in his shoes for a moment: 1. your home was robbed while you were at work, 2. electronics, firearms, jewelry, etc were stolen, 3. now other fellow enthusiasts are questioning your integrity. The guy feels bad enough without being kicked while he's down. 4. Have your home address & picture posted all over the internet/news from VA to SC basically advertising what your hobbies are and what items you possess in your home. How would you feel knowing that other criminals could consider that info inviting for another visit?
Blame the thieves that won't work for what they have and choose to prey on others instead of an honest & hard-working member of the community.

Welcome to OCDO Rubberman. New posters/users here are accepted by their sincerity and style, not by their post count.

Don't think the intent was to castigate your friend. We discuss such occurrences from a limited knowledge base and we need to be reminded of that fact upon occasion. Your point is well taken.

Home owner insurance policies frequently do not cover such items as guns and expensive jewelry under the standard terms - often requiring specific scheduling and extra premiums.

rubberman

Thanks for joining, and for your report. If you go back and re-read the posts here, what I see is speculation in the absence of facts. Nobody knew anything about the victim, and I'm sure you would agree that we all know people out there who could fit some of the speculation.
TFred

Thanks for the welcome. I understand and agree with you, but sometimes idle speculation & the permanence of internet info can give the wrong impression (ie if some anti-gun dimwit picked this up later & tried to use it negatively). I just wanted to clear the air and answer the speculation concisely. I hope that I'm not coming across negatively, just trying to add the facts.

As for the insurance coverage questions, hearing firsthand about this whole ordeal made me take a look at my own policy. It seems that not all insurance companies are the same in handling firearms claims (do your hw regarding any company that you choose), so I'm probably going to get addtl coverage above my std NRA membership coverage ($2500) through their firearms insurance policies (seems to be excellent coverage).

Actions & lessons for myself: document all serial numbers & purchase receipts (also keep copies of firearms documentation in another location), addtl firearms insurance coverage, purchase of a gun safe moves up the priority list, review of my home security system & whether I need to consider addtl equipment.

chammer

Thank you for the clarification, rubberman. Although, I still have to wonder if it wasn't someone he knew or met in passing that knew the collection he had and targeted him specifically because of it. I had a motorcycle stolen from my garage a few years ago, and out of all the tools/lawn equipment they could have stolen...they took the one item that would be immediately noticed and tracked via the VIN. To this day I still believe it was either someone who knew me/of me, or had seen me in the neighborhood and wanted the bike more than I did.

I haven't made the same mistake that I did with that bike, and I'm 100% confident in the added measures of security that have been put in place to protect my new bike. It sounds like your friend has learned that lesson too, and it's a crummy lesson to learn. :(