• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody Out There?

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
Since I started OC'ing, a couple of months ago maybe, I have not seen anybody else doing so when out in public. With the exception of some fine gentlemen I met in Colorado Springs one morning for an OC breakfast, I haven't seen any other citizen carry open anywhere in my travels around the state.

Just curious if we are really so few that it would be nearly impossible to run into another OC'er in an area like Aurora and other communities on the front range.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Lokster

Well, I don't make it over to Aurora too often at all so I doubt I'll run into any of you over there. Also, I haven't been making my weekly OC trips over to Belmar the past few weeks. From the discussion on this forum I realize there are quite a few OCers out toward Lakewood. I haven't seen any of you yet, but I'm sure I will at some point.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Like you, I've not seen many folks folks OCing other than at the OC meets.

Exceptions in and around Colorado Springs:

1. There's a guy in Manitou Springs who open carries all the time, with a six-shooter, but he's easily ID'd by his traditional western getup.

2. I ran into a guy at a gas station who was OCing. He noticed me first and said something like, "It's nice to see others taking their Second Amendment rights seriously." We chatted a bit and I mentioned this forum. He hadn't heard of it.

3. There's a smaller gun store in town where the owner and its employees OC full-time.

4. There's a retail store owner who OCs full-time. I won't mention which/where, as I'd prefer not to highlight either him or his establishment simply because he chooses to exercise his Constitutional freedoms.

5. On occasion, while hiking the back country, I've encountered hikers who're OCing. If I'm going with one of the groups I lead, I usually do not OC. If I'm hiking alone or with friends, I always OC.

Back when I used to live in Washington State and hike there as well as in Northern Idaho and NW Montana, I'd often see hikers OCing. Then again, that was grizzly country, while Colorado is not.

M-Taliesin

Like you, I've not seen many folks folks OCing other than at the OC meets.

Back when I used to live in Washington State and hike there as well as in Northern Idaho and NW Montana, I'd often see hikers OCing. Then again, that was grizzly country, while Colorado is not.

Howdy Pardner!
Well, we may not be in griz country, but we sure the heck have black bears that can be just as dangerous, along with cougars and other critters that can ruin your day when out in the back country. I don't much care what sort of critter it might be, if it has teeth or claws and seems motivated to apply them to my little Irish skin, I'd rather be armed to cope with that eventuality. I ain't keen on the sight of blood, particularly when it is my own.

Just sayin'....

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

JamesB

Howdy Pardner!
Well, we may not be in griz country, but we sure the heck have black bears that can be just as dangerous, along with cougars and other critters that can ruin your day when out in the back country. I don't much care what sort of critter it might be, if it has teeth or claws and seems motivated to apply them to my little Irish skin, I'd rather be armed to cope with that eventuality. I ain't keen on the sight of blood, particularly when it is my own.

Just sayin'....

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last time I went to the gun store for a purchase, I told the man i needed a varmit rifle.

He asked "two-legged or four?" I simply replied "Yes."

I went home with a new Bushmaster AR.

The majority of the time I carry a handgun it is with the knowledge that if it is used, it will likely be for one of those two-legged variety.

M-Taliesin

Last time I went to the gun store for a purchase, I told the man i needed a varmit rifle.

He asked "two-legged or four?" I simply replied "Yes."

I went home with a new Bushmaster AR.

The majority of the time I carry a handgun it is with the knowledge that if it is used, it will likely be for one of those two-legged variety.

Howdy Pard!
Well sir, I have plenty of pistols for that eventuality. If the Judge can't get the job done, I don't know what can. But I don't own a rifle (yet) and a handgun is lighter and easier to carry when hiking in the backcountry. Never had to rely on one for holding off a black bear or cougar, but figure .40 cal with hollow points might dissuade them. Or if I happen to be carrying the Judge, them .45 long Colts pack some punch too.

I loved your answer to the guy at the gun store. Yes.
I like that!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Gunslinger

.410 is only good for very short range as it bleeds energy from a short barrel, especially. The .45 Colt is never going to be as accurate as a pistol chambered specifically for it because of the cylinder length needed for the shot shells. Good gimmick, good marketing--Smith is making the same thing now, I noticed. Inside of 7 to maybe 10 yards with the best 000 buck, fine. Outside, I'd take a 9mm or .45ACP over it any day for accurate shot placement. I was watching a guy barely keep the .45 Colt rounds on paper at 8 yards. He had no trouble shooting his .357.

M-Taliesin

What's the accuracy on the Judge like? I've heard unfavorable things about it.

Howdy Mahkagari!
There are different models of the Judge, and depending on the model, it can be highly accurate or not so much.

Some models of the Judge are real stiff frame, and your hand takes a pounding when you fire the weapon. Mine is a better frame and it is a dream to fire. It is as accurate as the shooter's ability to make it so, and I have enjoyed firing my Judge. It is pretty darn accurate with .45 long Colt. When firing .410 rounds, it really doesn't matter quite so much. PDX rounds will tend to splatter the target and compensate for poor aiming.

There was discussion about a Denver man who shot an intruder and killed him dead. That was a Judge that paid for itself when the man successfully took out a felon who aimed a pistol at him. He defended his own life and took out the threat.

Personally, I love my Judge, and enjoy firing the gun.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Gunslinger

Howdy Mahkagari!
There are different models of the Judge, and depending on the model, it can be highly accurate or not so much.

Some models of the Judge are real stiff frame, and your hand takes a pounding when you fire the weapon. Mine is a better frame and it is a dream to fire. It is as accurate as the shooter's ability to make it so, and I have enjoyed firing my Judge. It is pretty darn accurate with .45 long Colt. When firing .410 rounds, it really doesn't matter quite so much. PDX rounds will tend to splatter the target and compensate for poor aiming.

There was discussion about a Denver man who shot an intruder and killed him dead. That was a Judge that paid for itself when the man successfully took out a felon who aimed a pistol at him. He defended his own life and took out the threat.

Personally, I love my Judge, and enjoy firing the gun.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Glad you like the pistol, and at close range it's fine, I'm sure. But the difference in length between a .45 Colt and .410 shell creates cylinder free bore that drastically affects accuracy beyond short range. The longer it takes for the bullet to enter the rifling, the less accuracy. As the gun is made for 10 yards or less, it's not a problem. Beyond 10 yards, as I said, the .410 loses effectiveness rapidly and the .45 loses accuracy--although it keeps stopping power. An 8" group at 25 yards would be about what I'd expect. Do you have any results from shooting at longer ranges? I'd be curious.

since9

Campaign Veteran
.410 is only good for very short range as it bleeds energy from a short barrel, especially.

And with such a comparatively short barrel, it would also result in some inadvertent casualties if it were ever used in courtroom distances commensurate with its moniker.

I seriously prefer the accuracy and 16+1 rounds + rapid reload of my 9mm over a 5-shot, inaccurate, slow-reload clunky revolver.

Inside of 7 to maybe 10 yards with the best 000 buck, fine. Outside, I'd take a 9mm or .45ACP over it any day for accurate shot placement.

Good to hear others agree. :)

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
25 yards? I ain't keeping the Judge for long shots. I have the Judge for home protection.

I'm told that the average confrontation with an armed assailant happens within 7 yards. That's only 21 feet. If somebody breaks into my home in the middle of the night, I want a weapon that isn't real dependent on accuracy (hence the .410 PDX-1 rounds occupying the first two cylinders). As I regain consciousness from a sound sleep, them
.45 Colt longs will finish the job, assuming there is anything needing finished at that point.

My carry weapon is the XDm .40 cal with one in the tube and 10 in the mag. It has a second mag that holds 16. My Judge is too large for concealed carry, and imposing for open carry. I keep it for the home. I also have a Ruger P94 .40 that is a bit bigger than I'm comfortable carrying, but I want it handy as an alternative carry weapon.

So taking 21 feet as the average, that'd cover darn near everyplace in my house. Assuming somebody gets beyond our security system, survives my pardner's dozen or so weapons of every variety, my wife's guns and ends up facing the Judge, I would think their odds of accomplishing whatever miscreancy they had in mind becomes real unlikely. Of all the houses in my neighborhood to invade, ours would be the one that really sucks the most for an intruder. For the bad guy, this house sucks like an Electrolux. They'd be nailed from at least two directions, if not three.

Ya know... there was a guy in Denver who was forced to fire on a trio of our nice young fellows who broke into his home and he confronted them with a Judge in his hand. One of the stalwart young model citizens pointed a handgun at the homeowner who fired his Judge and ended the confrontation with fatal impact.

So the primary job of the Judge, in my perspective, is to be there should an intruder break into my home and I am roused from a deep sleep forced to defend myself and home. There ain't time to clear the cobwebs of sleep and call up the basics of pinpoint shooting. I like the weapon because it can compensate for the condition of low light, stress aiming and getting shots to target despite being rudely awakened.

Personally, I haven't fired this weapon at ranges beyond 10 yards. For that purpose, it does what I got it with an eye toward doing!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Gunslinger

For what you want it for, as I said, it's fine. Personally, my full sized SIG 1911 with laser and 130 lumen white light is next to the bed. The laser is sighted in for 8-10 yards, so any practical range will let the intruder enjoy several rounds of 230g +P Federal HSTs. With the little red dot, I can still be half asleep and welcome him. OF course, if I was downstairs, one of the Hi-Powers with 124g +P+ HSTs would have to do. Then there's the alarm and the collies who bark first and ask questions later...

Cesar A

I OC too!

I dont know in Aurora as well, but since i started to Oc in the Springs I have been more aware of who is packing an di have seen about 11 people doing so here in 3 days lol. Maybe it is time to move to COS !!! the Cops here seem pretty chill about it too :p

M-Taliesin

I dont know in Aurora as well, but since i started to Oc in the Springs I have been more aware of who is packing an di have seen about 11 people doing so here in 3 days lol. Maybe it is time to move to COS !!! the Cops here seem pretty chill about it too :p

Howdy Cesar!
Welcome to the forum! Nice to see another citizen OC'er. Good on you!

I have not seen anybody else in Aurora OC'g. I feel like the only one most of the time.
While I've been to an OC breakfast in the Springs, we were only about half a dozen souls that came to the I-Hop. In mid July, we'll be helping Since9 get moved to a new apartment. I'm going to be there, along with some other guys who will be OC while working to get our friend situated. Once he is comfortably ensconced in a new residence, I'd like to organize something for the Denver/Aurora metro area. Maybe an OC luncheon or something of that ilk.

I hope we have a chance to meet up one day soon, and I dearly love Colorado Springs. It is a real nice town, and I love how proximal it is to the mountains. I lived there quite awhile ago, and would love to get a place down there in the future.

For now, however, I'd like to see more folks OC here in Aurora. I suspect that the sheer number of folks is likely to determine how frequently we might see somebody else OC'ing. Let's say, just for speculation, you have one OC'er per 1,000 folks. You'd see more of them in a city of 100,000 than in a city of 1 million. I think there may be as many here as there, but the odds of encountering them are less by simple virtue of dilution in a larger population base. That being said, I would surely like to see more folks OC around these parts.

Again, welcome to the forum and happy to make your acquaintence.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
Ya know... there was a guy in Denver who was forced to fire on a trio of our nice young fellows who broke into his home and he confronted them with a Judge in his hand. One of the stalwart young model citizens pointed a handgun at the homeowner who fired his Judge and ended the confrontation with fatal impact.

I recall hearing about that one. It's sad that such rude behavior as breaking and entering while threatening a homeowner with a deadly weapon results in the death of the criminal. It's right, however, that the homeowner had the means and the fortitude to protect and defend self, family, and property against criminal activity.

There ain't time to clear the cobwebs of sleep and call up the basics of pinpoint shooting.

I must be weird. Several times over the last couple of years I've been in either a solid dream (REM is the lightest stage of sleep), or in deeper stages and upon hearing an unfamiliar noise, have come instantly awake, firearm in hand, pointing at my bedroom door, in less than a second. Then again, I was a camp counselor the summer after college, and none of my kids were ever able to sneak out. :D

Perhaps it was that experience which resulted in my being this way.

mahkagari

25 yards? I ain't keeping the Judge for long shots. I have the Judge for home protection.

I'd only upgrade caliber for four legged critters. That's my attraction to it taking .410 shells.

Yeah, that story is discussed further in some thread in the CO forum.