• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question: Nauticus (Norfolk) 2nd floor HRNM, an official US Naval Museum.

paramedic70002

Is any carry allowed at the Hampton Roads Naval Museum inside Nauticus? I'm thinking of going there tomorrow. It is an official USN museum. Does that make it a military base issue, federal property issue, etc? I don't see anything about guns on their website, and I'd rather not ask them if I don't have to.

http://www.hrnm.navy.mil/

The Hampton Roads Naval Museum is an official museum of the United States Navy and reports to the Naval History and Heritage Command in Washington, D.C.

Additional financial support comes from the Hampton Roads Naval Historical Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit foundation. http://hrnhf.org/

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Paramedic the website indicates in various places that the museum is a property of the US Navy. I would not advise carrying anything there that you would not carry in / on any other US government owned property with the exception of places such as National Forest, National Parks, Bureua of Land Management land.

MSC 45ACP

The USS WISCONSIN is part of the museum. I know they were planning to sell her to the City of Norfolk, but I don[t know if that went through. IF she is still considered a part of the Reserve Fleet or have a "Special Commission" then you couldn't carry aboard her, either.

Good question, though. I know they have AD Navy folks that "stand watch" at the front desk to the museum. Usually those on the Binnacle List.

wolf-father

The USS WISCONSIN is part of the museum. I know they were planning to sell her to the City of Norfolk, but I don[t know if that went through. IF she is still considered a part of the Reserve Fleet or have a "Special Commission" then you couldn't carry aboard her, either.

Good question, though. I know they have AD Navy folks that "stand watch" at the front desk to the museum. Usually those on the Binnacle List.

The ship belongs to the city.

http://www.fox43tv.com/dpps/military/City-takes-ownership-of-USS-Wisconsin_3316697

City takes ownership of USS Wisconsin

Interior sections to open to tourists this summer

Updated: Friday, 16 Apr 2010, 5:32 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 16 Apr 2010, 9:19 AM EDT

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) - The Navy officially presented its last and largest battleship, The USS Wisconsin, to the city of Norfolk Friday.

opencarrypalmtrees

nauticus

hey just went this summer in 2011. I called the museum and asked directly if it was federal property and the person at the front desk said yes its federal property so I guess its off limits for carry. The lady was quite reluctant to tell me whether it was federal jurisdiction or not don't know what that was about :p;)

t33j

Yeah, the ship is owned by Norfolk now but the building isn't.

Maybe you could climb up one of the mooring lines :p

Last edited: