• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

insurance

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
Anybody look into the insurance offered by USCCA? I wonder if it would be something worthwhile.

OT OCed last several days at the usual places... grocery store, parts store, credit union, Tea Party meeting, clerks office to pay taxes and finding some time to OC on the HD.springerdave.

Sheldon

This is just an opinion but in Michigan our Castle Law is definitive, in any justifiable shooting the perp, his family, friends, girl Friend or whoever cannot bring suit against the shooter, should they attempt any legal actions must be paid for on behalf of both parties by them.

If it is not a justifiable shooting then you go to jail and have a lot worse problems to look forward to.

Not all states are like this and in those locations this could be a good thing.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
This is just an opinion but in Michigan our Castle Law is definitive, in any justifiable shooting the perp, his family, friends, girl Friend or whoever cannot bring suit against the shooter, should they attempt any legal actions must be paid for on behalf of both parties by them.

If it is not a justifiable shooting then you go to jail and have a lot worse problems to look forward to.

Not all states are like this and in those locations this could be a good thing.

A MGO attoneys opinion.

NOTHING prevents a lawsuit in a SD shooting. Castle Doctrine merely provides a defense and allows the collection of legal fees in cases of frivolous SD shooting suits.

What would happen if an inmate (with nothing to lose) sues you over shooting him?

Yes, the case may be ultimately thrown out...

Yes, the inmate may be found liable for your attorney fees...

BUT

The inmate could end up owing you $$$$$$$ for the legal fees you just spent defending the action and good luck collecting it!

Castle Doctrine is great but it isn't a blanket shield. Also, be careful when applying it. Your house? Yes, Castle Doctrine applies. Your non-attached garage? NO.

--Moderator Note & Edit--
Generally typing in all caps or excessively large bold type is considered yelling

eastmeyers

Isn't a lawyers job to CYA? And doesn't the Castle Doctrine (in layman's terms) say you can stand your ground anywhere your legally allowed to be, so garage would apply, yes?

NHCGRPR45

Correct me if I am wrong but. So far as I understand the way it works is if you have to defend yourself and you are to be within the law the person/family cannot sue you for wrongful death or anything related. Hence I shoot a BG in a walmart parking lot case goes before the prosecutor he/she says yup justified, then I do have a legal "blanket" of safety. from lawsuits against said dirtbag and anything related to that one incident.

eastmeyers

Isn't a lawyers job to CYA? And doesn't the Castle Doctrine (in layman's terms) say you can stand your ground anywhere your legally allowed to be, so garage would apply, yes?
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28nkrgqw45tvdei5vxigkfaezl%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-780-972&highlight=Self%20AND%20Defense (bam)
SELF-DEFENSE ACT (EXCERPT) Act 309 of 2006 said:
780.972 Use of deadly force by individual not engaged in commission of crime; conditions.Sec. 2.
(1) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses deadly force may use deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if either of the following applies:
(a) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent death of or imminent great bodily harm to himself or herself or to another individual.
(b) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent sexual assault of himself or herself or of another individual.
(2) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses force other than deadly force may use force other than deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if he or she honestly and reasonably believes that the use of that force is necessary to defend himself or herself or another individual from the imminent unlawful use of force by another individual.

Last edited:

eastmeyers

Correct me if I am wrong but. So far as I understand the way it works is if you have to defend yourself and you are to be within the law the person/family cannot sue you for wrongful death or anything related. Hence I shoot a BG in a walmart parking lot case goes before the prosecutor he/she says yup justified, then I do have a legal "blanket" of safety. from lawsuits against said dirtbag and anything related to that one incident.
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28nkrgqw45tvdei5vxigkfaezl%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-600-2922b&query=on&highlight=Self%20AND%20Defense (bam)
REVISED JUDICATURE ACT OF 1961 (EXCERPT) Act 236 of 1961 said:
600.2922b Use of deadly force or other than deadly force by individual in self-defense; immunity from civil liability.Sec. 2922b.
An individual who uses deadly force or force other than deadly force in self-defense or in defense of another individual in compliance with section 2 of the self-defense act is immune from civil liability for damages caused to either of the following by the use of that deadly force or force other than deadly force:
(a) The individual against whom the use of deadly force or force other than deadly force is authorized.
(b) Any individual claiming damages arising out of injury to or the death of the individual described in subdivision (a), based upon his or her relationship to that individual.

Last edited:

TheQ

You can't stop them from suing you, but you should get the case bounced at summary disposition and get awarded court/attorney costs. That veins said if the suer is penniless -- well ever hear of blood from a turnip?

StingMP9

Madison Hts-Carry M&P9mm CPL/NRA mem, Michigan, US
It sounds like a good idea to me. I may in the future move to other states that don't tout such a castle doctrine from prosecution and law suits can bankrupt anyone. I wonder if such insurance would have gotten a decent lawyer to keep Jeff Gerritt out of prison for those bologna charges in Detroit for his self defense shooting.

hermannr

BIG word of warning!!!!! Just because you have been awarded attorney's fees does not mean you will be able to collect them!!!!! (BTW: he sued me, and he lost)

I know, I am out over $5K. Judge says the other guy has to pay...but as my dad said many years ago..."you cannot get blood out of a turnip".

If the person has no assets you can seize, you will be out of luck.

Sheldon

A MGO attoneys opinion.

NOTHING prevents a lawsuit in a SD shooting. Castle Doctrine merely provides a defense and allows the collection of legal fees in cases of frivolous SD shooting suits.

What would happen if an inmate (with nothing to lose) sues you over shooting him?

Yes, the case may be ultimately thrown out...

Yes, the inmate may be found liable for your attorney fees...

BUT

The inmate could end up owing you $$$$$$$ for the legal fees you just spent defending the action and good luck collecting it!

Castle Doctrine is great but it isn't a blanket shield. Also, be careful when applying it. Your house? Yes, Castle Doctrine applies. Your non-attached garage? NO.

--Moderator Note & Edit--
Generally typing in all caps or excessively large bold type is considered yelling

You need to re read MI Castle law, it applies to any place you have a legal right to be... N yes they can sue, and yes you can defer the cost to the accuser AKA they get the bill not you...

Last edited:

zack991

I rather save the money into a separate account and have a second amendment Attorney on retainer instead.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
You need to re read MI Castle law, it applies to any place you have a legal right to be... N yes they can sue, and yes you can defer the cost to the accuser AKA they get the bill not you...
You should reread the post I posted. If they don't have money you are still stuck with the legal bills.

6L6GC

well, here's your correction

Sadly, you do not have a "blanket" of safety. At least in many states. In many jurisdictions in the country, you can be completely justified in a case of self defense, have no criminal charges pressed against you by the prosecuting attorney, and still be dragged in to civil court for "wrongful death" (or something like that) by the dead thug's family, fellow crack heads, girl friends, etc.

Castle doctrines generally provide no protection or immunity from civil suits.
roN

NHCGRPR45

Sadly, you do not have a "blanket" of safety. At least in many states. In many jurisdictions in the country, you can be completely justified in a case of self defense, have no criminal charges pressed against you by the prosecuting attorney, and still be dragged in to civil court for "wrongful death" (or something like that) by the dead thug's family, fellow crack heads, girl friends, etc.

Castle doctrines generally provide no protection or immunity from civil suits.
roN

Ours does.:banana:

RogueWarrior

I would love to be able to afford the USCCA policy but the wife an I live payday to payday and there is no way we can afford what they ask. But I wish I could