• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB93 for dummies 6/9/11 edition

paul@paul-fisher.com

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lfb/2011-13Bills/2011_06_09_SB93_LC.pdf

It's not as bad as it could of been.

OC get's most 'prohibited places' removed.

Carry in bars as long as carrier doesn't drink.
Carry in government buildings unless posted.
Give us a tool to prosecute cops if they harass.

The permit with training buys you the following:

1. Carrying concealed.
2. Carrying open or concealed within 1000' of a school.

Training waived for ex-military, holders of other states licenses that haven't been revoked, hunters safety.

License is $37 for 5 years plus $13 for background check.

Please let me know if I am missing anything.

technician

Hey Paul, do you know how carrying in vehicles would apply to a motorcycle in regards to this bill? Could I legally open carry while driving to the range for example (sling loaded rifle on back or loaded pistol in holster)?

Last edited:

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
Not bad.

I took my hunter's safety when I was about 14, and am a Former Marine.

Especially due to that insanely difficult hunters safety course, I suppose I'm uber qualified!

paul@paul-fisher.com

OK. The problem is this is a memo. We need the real bill to see if they repeal or modify some sections or if they just make exemptions.

For example, depending on how you read it, it could read

"you can oc in a bar as long as you don't drink"

or

"you can oc or cc in a bar if you have a permit as long as you don't drink"

It depends if they repeal 941.237 or leave it in place and add and exemption for permit holders.

Just one example.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Hey Paul, do you know how carrying in vehicles would apply to a motorcycle in regards to this bill? Could I legally open carry while driving to the range for example (sling loaded rifle on back or loaded pistol in holster)?

My initial reading is that you could definitely oc your sidearm, as for the rifle slung to your back? I don't know.

BrewTownBagger

I know everyone is probably upset that constitutional carry has fell to the wayside, but all things considered I will be very happy to not have to load/unload my firearm everytime I get in and out of the car or motorcycle.

Is there room for improvement? Sure, but its the best case scenario in the last 10 years to make it through.

Once the public stops reacting emotionally and the Radio talk show hosts shut their f-ing yaps we can push for a true CC bill.

Just my 2cents anyways. :lol:

BROKENSPROKET

If you walked you would be fine, but on a motorcycle the pistol is fine but the rifle would need to be unloaded and encased. 167.31 is still the same for all long guns.

ooops, sorry, i am not paul

Big Dipper

They will not issue to out of staters.

As for reciprocity, they were vague, any state that has similar permit restrictions.

Paul, the non-resident reference is in the "must issue" section. Is there a possibility that DOJ could (may) issue a license to a non-resident at their discretion? Why would they forgo easy money from us non-resident property owners?

paul@paul-fisher.com

Paul, the non-resident reference is in the "must issue" section. Is there a possibility that DOJ could (may) issue a license to a non-resident at their discretion? Why would they forgo easy money from us non-resident property owners?

http://www.wiseye.org/videoplayer/vp.html?sid=5903

Look at the video and I believe it is in the 1st 6 minutes or so. As I said, we have to see the real bill instead of the memo but it seems to say no issue to non-residents.

phred

Training waived for ex-military, holders of other states licenses that haven't been revoked, hunters safety.

I remember a short time ago, there was a thread or more than about a trainer that was offering an out-of-state permit class and said it would be good once Wisconsin gets concealed carry. So I can use my Utah permit to satisfy the "training requirement". Such a "prophet", or was this in the works all along and withheld until the last moment. I smell conspiracy, but I don't know who the players are.

Da Po-lock

So does this mean I can open carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle (car or truck), on an ATV, in a boat or on a motorcycle WITHOUT a permit and training ?

AND stop at a tavern for a burger if I don't drink alcohol if the tavern is NOT posted banning firearms ?

paul@paul-fisher.com

So does this mean I can open carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle (car or truck), on an ATV, in a boat or on a motorcycle WITHOUT a permit and training ?

AND stop at a tavern for a burger if I don't drink alcohol if the tavern is NOT posted banning firearms ?

1st part, yes. 2nd part, depends how they actually write the law.

HandyHamlet

In a box, with a fox, in a house, with a mouse, on a train... No. Wait. Walker Dream Killer killed that one. Wonder how many puppies the guy drowned today.

:banghead:

There. I feel better already.

Last edited:

Da Po-lock

Thanks Paul for for your help on ALL the questions I ask.

Too bad the worthless legislators on MY payroll could'nt be of any use to me. Wait for weeks to hear back from them then they hee haw around the issues until I forgot what I asked in the first place.

I sure wish I could understand this stuff like you.

Keep up the good work bud.

...........Educated Po-lock

paul@paul-fisher.com

Thanks Paul for for your help on ALL the questions I ask.

Too bad the worthless legislators on MY payroll could'nt be of any use to me. Wait for weeks to hear back from them then they hee haw around the issues until I forgot what I asked in the first place.

I sure wish I could understand this stuff like you.

Keep up the good work bud.

...........Educated Po-lock

No problem!

We shall see what actually gets signed.

It can be amended on the Senate floor then passed, then amended on the House floor then passed, then the Senate has to pass it again if it actually got changed by the House and then it goes to the Governor who can line-item veto.

So... it isn't a done deal as of yet.