Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat Wave? What heat wave?

Heat Wave? What heat wave?

Sure, it's warm, but when the news calls temps in D.C. being in the upper 90s, have lived there (Northern Virginia) and experienced the same all the time throughout the summer, it's hardly a "heat wave." It's just summer.

To me, a "heat wave" is when the temps climbed above 100, either there, Florida, or Louisiana, two other places I've lived, or above 115 in Las Vegas (it's a dry heat).

Otherwise, I call it a "media event."
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

My pregnant wife would beg to differ about the heat. She is miserable right now.

I saw posts in the comments section of the local new-rag talking about "global warming" and now we're going to have 100 degree summers all the time in Michigan... such idiocy. I can't remember a summer where we DID NOT have 100 degree temps at some point... alarmists... :P

I remember the joke that weathermen can't predict next weekend how can they do 100 years from now.

I always laugh when people here in Ohio complain that its horribly hot and its way to muggy. I was stationed in Louisiana a number of years back and Fort Polk by far was the hottest and humid place I have ever lived.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    I always laugh when people here in Ohio complain that its horribly hot and its way to muggy. I was stationed in Louisiana a number of years back and Fort Polk by far was the hottest and humid place I have ever lived.
    The worst for me was Okinawa, Japan. Though I don't mind the heat (hell I almost never use AC in my car even in 90+ degree weather).

I had my AC go out in my truck when I was living there and I got used to never using it. People up here look at me like I am nuts, yet I don't have to fill my take up as much as they do with gas being so high.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    My wife is from New Orleans so the humidity normally wouldn't bother her. I grew up in Iowa and California. Iowa was not as hot but got muggy and Cali got hot as Hades but since it was so dry not a problem till you realized you were dehydrated from sweating all day and it evaporating right away. I like fall as a season. Some days warm so with a nice chill to them.

Funny thing last year the family from Iowa came out during that record breaking time. They were dying in the heat and me and the wife were just walking around normal.

I don't know what the official temperature was, but the shaded thermometer on my front porch read 102 deg F at around 3:30 yesterday aftenoon.
    You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office

Yep, we set records this week for this time of year. Hit 95 on Monday and Tuesday...today it's friggin' 50. Really wish Mother Nature would make up her mind.

Banned
    Signs of the times, just more Bible prophecy coming true.

Well, you have all the heat, we have the cold.

Spokane had the lastest day to reach 70 here a couple weeks ago, and now it is 62, and today is the record for latest date for Spokane to reach 80, and an 80 degree day probably won't happen for at least a couple more weeks. We haven't even reached 80 yet, but have already pasted the earliest day to reach 90. (again in Spokane)

Up here in the Highlands, we had frost a couple nights ago. That is ok, you can keep you heat and humidity. I prefer my summers with 10% humidity during the day, and average summer temps in the 70's and 80's, lows in the 40's and 50's.
    Last edited by hermannr; 06-12-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Signs of the times, just more Bible prophecy coming true.
    Citation?
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Banned
    You wouldnt believe it anyhow.

You wouldnt believe it anyhow.
    Regardless, can you cite the bible passage that supports your statement? Even if I don't believe it to be a true source, it would support your claim.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Matthew 24:6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
    Matthew 24:7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. Matthew 24:8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.
    Matthew 24:9
    Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
    Matthew 24:10
    And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
    Matthew 24:11
    And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
    Matthew 24:12
    And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

In other words, a lot of bad stuff is going to happen, and people will say "oh, it's the End Times". But generally, they will be full of it, and you should ignore alarmists, people who "predict the future", and anyone who says they know when the "end times" are, because either they are stupid, or they are trying to rob you or gain power over you, or they are evil...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 06-12-2011 at 10:13 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Banned
    I dont see how wer are not in the end of days, there have been changes in weather, an explosion of knowledge, the Jewish return to Israel, and a few more I cant recall at the moment.

King James Version (KJV)

2 Timothy 3

1This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
    2For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
    3Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
    4Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
    5Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
    6For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
    7Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
    8Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
    9But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as their's also was.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 06-12-2011 at 10:29 PM.

All of that also describes the Romans at the time it was written.

Banned
    History has been known to repeat itself.

The nation of Israel was scattered at that time, now it has been brought back to its homeland. This is also in prophecy.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 06-12-2011 at 11:40 PM.

I dont see how wer are not in the end of days, there have been changes in weather, an explosion of knowledge, the Jewish return to Israel, and a few more I cant recall at the moment.

King James Version (KJV)

2 Timothy 3

1This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
    2For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
    3Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
    4Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
    5Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
    6For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
    7Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
    8Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
    9But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as their's also was.
    Care to explain how in the world this relates to the heat/non heat wave?

Banned
    End times prophesy covers many topics. Weather being one of them. If God isnt real, and the Bible is false, then why does it keep proving otherwise?

End times prophesy covers many topics. Weather being one of them. If God isnt real, and the Bible is false, then why does it keep proving otherwise?
    "Proving"? Interesting use of the word. You claim a passage that claims many people are dicks somehow proves itself to be foretelling the future? It's like me saying "there will be conflict among men. Nation will war with other nation. Mighty empires will rise and fall. In these days, many will claim different explanations for the unfolding events. " Not exactly prophetic.

Now, do you care to show me the weather prophecy? It's what I asked about earlier, as I've read the Bible and don't recall it, though it may very well be there.

Actually, the Jewish people DID NOT return to "Israel". They returned to "Judea"...

After King Solomon's reign, the kingdom split into 2 governments, Israel (which had Samaria as a capital) and Judea (which had Jerusalem as it's capital). Israel was later conquered by the Assyrians, and Judea taken by the Babalonians...

Just wanted to set the historic record straight...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

For the same reason that EVERY "sacred" text has "proved true" over the centuries.

Faith requires people to BELIEVE... Not to question, or use logic, or deductive reasoning. Faith requires a suspension of disbelief as it's fundamental principal, and because of the fundamental psycho-social underpinnings of the exercise of "faith", adherants to any given belief will find patterns in the world around them that reinforce and bolster their beliefs. Thus is the nature of non-rational thought systems.

I'm not saying that you are wrong. I'm just saying that nearly EVERY other religion (and their "sacred" texts) are equally true on some level...
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Up here in the Highlands, we had frost a couple nights ago. That is ok, you can keep you heat and humidity. I prefer my summers with 10% humidity during the day, and average summer temps in the 70's and 80's, lows in the 40's and 50's.
    That's what it's like in the summer here in Evanston Wyoming. (6749 feet) Our winters are long and very cold but I'll take this kind of climate over the hot and humid that you folks back east have.
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast