• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearm Purchase Tommarow!

What round should I get?

• 9mm

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 40S&W

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • 45ACP

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Idk/other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

WantsToCarry

Ok people, I have all but decided to get a Springfield XD. The last and biggest question is: What caliber? 9-40-or 45. I can only imagine the price of ammo ain't much fun, but it must be done. Thoughts?

carry for myself

i used to carry 9mm. did for years. but after numerous convos with returned vets, and LEO's who have used their duty weapons that were 9mm. i swapped to .40 cal personally.

really all about shot placement. if you tap someone in the gut with a 9mm......its NOT putting them down. then again if they are hopped up on meth...4-5 rounds out of a .45ACP wont put them down either.

you have to think of self defense shooting. its not like in the movies where you have all the time in the world to aqquire your target and fire. realistically your going to have 1-2 seconds max to unholster and get 2-3 shots off max. and it will most likely happen within 5 feet.

with that said i would personally weigh price vs power and go with .40.....personally.

2 rounds of 9mm at 5 ft is very hard to place to a vital area. you can shoot double taps perfectly at the range all day. but when you have an adrenaline dump all of your fine motor skills and aiming skills go out the window so you want those two shots to count. and hit hard. a 128g 9mm HPJ will hurt. it will kill but the question you must ask is how fast. do you have 15 seconds? 30? minutes? most likely not. this same question i had asked myself when shopping for my main CCW weapon.

now personally .40 is the lowest caliber i will carry for this reason. however i am planning on a kimber crimson trace in .45 in the next few months.

the .40 feels like a 9mm in a heavy weighted pistol. or like a heavy weighted .45 pistol in a polymer frame.

ammo capacity is not an issue with an XD or XDM so shoot what you feel is enough.

personally i've seen 9mm do a bad job. heck just watch discovery health. how many bangers do you see take mulitple 9mm's to the torso and chest and walk out of the hospital 2 days later? or walk into it on their own power for that matter.

i love 9mm as a backup. but i would never......personally.....carry it as my main weapon. JMO

WantsToCarry

Its going to be my every day carry handgun. I plan on shooting it quite a bit tomorrow. I had the same feelings toward 40 being the smallest I would go. I am personally swinging to the .45. I asked my dad (Nam Vet) he said "**** get the .45! I haven't shot one in years!" So I think thats where Im going to go. I had people swearing up and down to me that for a carry pistol 9mm was fantastic and In the words of the other people "Best for self defense" I think im going to mosey on down to Cabelas afterwards and pick up a better holster, I hear the one that comes with the XD isn't the greatest.

Thank you all for the input, can't wait for the next cook out, i'll get time off from work for sure. Long as i give them enough notice! haha

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Its going to be my every day carry handgun. I plan on shooting it quite a bit tomorrow. I had the same feelings toward 40 being the smallest I would go. I am personally swinging to the .45. I asked my dad (Nam Vet) he said "**** get the .45! I haven't shot one in years!" So I think thats where Im going to go. I had people swearing up and down to me that for a carry pistol 9mm was fantastic and In the words of the other people "Best for self defense" I think im going to mosey on down to Cabelas afterwards and pick up a better holster, I hear the one that comes with the XD isn't the greatest.

Thank you all for the input, can't wait for the next cook out, i'll get time off from work for sure. Long as i give them enough notice! haha

why no .357 Sig love? That's what I carry and I wouldn't dream of carrying a different caliber. IMO it's the perfect blend.

WantsToCarry

why no .357 Sig love? That's what I carry and I wouldn't dream of carrying a different caliber. IMO it's the perfect blend.

I got love for the 357 sig. I guess its just easy to say ive wanted a .45 for a while. Anyway...Ive got it. Ending up being the XD Tactical Version. Heres a pic.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Shoots so smooth. Im very satisfied.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate

We are working hard on the bbq!