• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Budget panel approves concealed carry with permits, training required

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
So what if your home state (in my case Georgia) doesn't require training, but I do in fact have training? And proof thereof?

I used my michigan CCW training to get my Florida CWP...and if they will take hunters safety certs then shouldnt be an issue...

M

McX

so in ref. to permits; a wis resident with an out of state permit, that has the background check, but is a non-res. permit, must get the Wis permit to have the school zone thing shrunk down to school grounds? the non-res. wont do that?

apierce918

so in ref. to permits; a wis resident with an out of state permit, that has the background check, but is a non-res. permit, must get the Wis permit to have the school zone thing shrunk down to school grounds? the non-res. wont do that?

correct

M

McX

thanks apierce!

another dumb question; wis permit carry is CC or OC?

Last edited:

Archangel

I used my michigan CCW training to get my Florida CWP...and if they will take hunters safety certs then shouldnt be an issue...
Yeah but I no longer have any other permits other than my Georgia one. And Georgia doesn't require training. But I have training that Wisconsin lists as acceptable, with proof.

But I am guessing since Georgia specifically doesn't require it, my GWL won't be accepted in Wisconsin and I'll have to get an out of state permit from a state that requires training to be legal when I am there.

Which sucks.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Yeah but I no longer have any other permits other than my Georgia one. And Georgia doesn't require training. But I have training that Wisconsin lists as acceptable, with proof.

But I am guessing since Georgia specifically doesn't require it, my GWL won't be accepted in Wisconsin and I'll have to get an out of state permit from a state that requires training to be legal when I am there.

Which sucks.

No, if you watch the hearing, one of the anti Senators asked whether the issuing state had to have background AND training and the lawyer said no, only background. Also, they will accept expired permits as proof as long as the permit wasn't REVOKED.

GlockRDH

great avatar RabbiVj....Bubbles rocks.

Interestingly...you DONT HAVE TO HAVE Hunters safety TO HUNT or to get a hunting license if you were born before a certain date... and NONE to OC...yet they want you be trained to CC....

SkunkHunter

If you are a Wisconsin resident, you must have a Wisconsin permit. There are no exceptions. For non-resident permit holders (who do not live in WI), there is a provision in the bill to treat them as WI permit holders for the purpose of GFSZ.

AaronS

thanks apierce!

another dumb question; wis permit carry is CC or OC?

I am under the impression (from my reading of this bill), that this permit will only change school zone OC. With the permit you can open carry in a school zone.
Now this one I am even less sure of, but as I read it, after this passes without the permit we can OC in our car.
Please remember, I am NOT a lawyer. I am sure others will chime in on this.

Outdoorsman1

I am under the impression (from my reading of this bill), that this permit will only change school zone OC. With the permit you can open carry in a school zone.
Now this one I am even less sure of, but as I read it, after this passes without the permit we can OC in our car. Please remember, I am NOT a lawyer. I am sure others will chime in on this.

I asked this question in another thread and others think that yes.. we will be able to OC in a vehicle without having to do the unload, case, uncase, load dance... and it was also stated that you will need the permit to be excempt from the GFSZ law.

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

MKEgal

Has 'training' been defined?
RabbiVJ said:
I used my michigan CCW training to get my Florida CWP... and if they will take hunters safety certs then shouldnt be an issue...
wild boar said:
...given by the US government count, (military)?
Yes, yes, & yes.
See the bottom of pg 5 & most of pg 6 of the amendment where it discusses approved training.
Hunter ed.
Any safety class from a national org.
Course taught by a LEA. [SEE BELOW]
Course taught by an instructor who is certified by a national org or the DOJ.
LEO or private dick.

SkunkHunter said:
If you are a Wisconsin resident, you must have a Wisconsin permit. There are no exceptions. For non-resident permit holders (who do not live in WI), there is a provision in the bill to treat them as WI permit holders for the purpose of GFSZ.
Yep.
If you're a WI resident you must have a WI permit to cc. You can use that OOS permit to establish training, even if it didn't take training to get it. (Figure that one out.)
For the wording, see pg 6 of the amendment (link above). Basically, send a copy of a current or expired LTCF w/ your application & you're OK.

As for training, here's a course by the MD Department of Public Safety (http://www.mdgunsafety.com/) which appears to satisfy the requirement: "available to the public & is offered by a law enforcement agency" (see top of pg 6)
Free, online, takes maybe 30min, save & print a certificate to your computer.
If this bill passes as-is, let's do our best to publicize this link.

Training is good, more training is better, but if you're just satisfying a gov't mandate, do the minimum.
A free online course from the MD state patrol seems to satisfy that.
Take a real class that fits your needs because you want to.
Such as the one Calico Jack is arranging.

Last edited:

MKEgal

the car dance

Forgot to add, unless there's a change, we'll still be doing the car dance for another 3 months after this passes.
Check out the last page of the amendment, where it explains when certain parts will take effect. Notice that vehicle carry is NOT one of the things mentioned as "the day after"?
We need to change that. It's just as necessary as the DC statute change, & just as easy to decree.

M

McX

the hard part now is learning the new dance. getting the permit to dance out of the way. so MKE i'm thinking 2 coolers of soda, and munch pack, cookies from you, major meal we go eat, or pizza in. my kid and i so far, maybe a chum or two. hope it's close. 10 hours. should i bring a nail file?