Thread: Fairfax County Call to Action--June 21, 2011

Founder's Club Member

Fairfax County Call to Action--June 21, 2011

The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors is holding a public hearing to fight back against the new state law restricting their ability to regulate pneumatic guns.

Public hearing is June 21.

From a Virginia Citizen's Defense League alert:

...Sooooo, [the Board of Supervisors wants] to hear from the public, do they?

I think VCDL can oblige them! Don't you agree, NoVA gun owners?

The hearing is going to be held on Tuesday, June 21st. More details on time and location will be provided as the event gets closer...

If you've never attended a public hearing, or never spoken, its an experience you don't want to miss.

Time of Hearing: VCDL is reporting 5:00pm, thinking that since there is nothing specific on the agenda, the BoS may be just taking comments during regular comment time.

Can't Attend? You can submit remarks in writing by mail or e-mail. From the BoS website:

Note: If you cannot appear on the date of the public hearing but wish to submit written testimony, please mail to Clerk to the Board of Supervisors, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 533, Fairfax, VA 22035, or e-mail Clerk to the Board . (Please provide your full name, home address and home and work telephone numbers as applicable.)

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/bosclerk/public.htm
    Last edited by Citizen; 06-15-2011 at 10:34 PM.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors is holding a public hearing to fight back against the new state law restricting their ability to regulate pneumatic guns.

The hearing is going to be held on Tuesday, June 21st. More details on time and location will be provided as the event gets closer...

If you've never attended a public hearing, or never spoken, its an experience you don't want to miss.
    That'll be interesting. I'll bet the palm reader lady will be there
    She puts a curse on all evil gun owners every year.

Ohh boy! Open Carry fun at the Fairfax Co Government Taj Mahal, can't wait!

Man, I have to be in Blacksburg that day. Hopefully I'll be done early enough to race back up here and let my "Reps" know how I feel about the change in the law.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
    Man, I have to be in Blacksburg that day. Hopefully I'll be done early enough to race back up here and let my "Reps" know how I feel about the change in the law.
    Dig around the Board of Supervisors (BoS) website. Even if you cannot attend, you may be able to submit your remarks in written form. Carbon copy to your supervisor, of course.

And, maybe we can find out to whom at the General Assembly the BoS plans to submit their report. We can submit our own report directly to the same entity. And, it would be kinda fun to FOIA the BoS submission to see if it included the pre-emption supporters.

It seems to me that if the BoS reached out to the press to promote the public hearing, they are serious about this. Maybe we can FOIA the BoS for notes and records related to reaching out to the press on this.

I'd love to attend, but that's the last day of school for my son (Fairfax Public Schools), so I don't know what my schedule is yet. If I can't attend, I'd be happy to write a letter, though.

Founder's Club Member
    Bump.

Added to the OP the time of the hearing, and what you can do to submit written remarks.

In the risk of sounding obtuse....

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post

Time of Hearing: VCDL is reporting 5:00pm, thinking that since there is nothing specific on the agenda, the BoS may be just taking comments during regular comment time.

Can't Attend? You can submit remarks in writing by mail or e-mail. From the BoS website:

Note: If you cannot appear on the date of the public hearing but wish to submit written testimony, please mail to Clerk to the Board of Supervisors, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 533, Fairfax, VA 22035, or e-mail Clerk to the Board . (Please provide your full name, home address and home and work telephone numbers as applicable.)

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/bosclerk/public.htm
    ... is the "call to arms" about...

a. OC'g at the BOS meeting

b. addressing the pnuematic gun issue (with pnuematic's being both tools/nailers and BB and CO2 guns/rifles)

c. addressing FFX County's (which I am a resident, less than a mile from the Gov't Ctr) over-reaching into Commonwealth (state) laws, etc....?

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by jadedone4 View Post
    ... is the "call to arms" about...

a. OC'g at the BOS meeting

b. addressing the pnuematic gun issue (with pnuematic's being both tools/nailers and BB and CO2 guns/rifles)

c. addressing FFX County's (which I am a resident, less than a mile from the Gov't Ctr) over-reaching into Commonwealth (state) laws, etc....?
    From VCDL's point of view B and C. How, of if, you are carrying is up to you. We want to point out that we don't need the government telling us about shooting BB and pellet guns on our own property and that such guns are a great way to teach a youngster how to shoot and also about personal responsibility.
    Last edited by VCDL President; 06-18-2011 at 08:51 PM.

I will be there! Has the time and agenda been confirmed?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Most recent VA-ALERT answered both of my questions. For those curious, it is still at 5pm and the air gun issue is on the official agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Most recent VA-ALERT answered both of my questions. For those curious, it is still at 5pm and the air gun issue is on the official agenda.
    So..... any news or reports?

Quote Originally Posted by SicSemperTyrannis View Post
    From VCDL.org on twitter last night at 2148 hrs. "Effective immediatly Fairfax County residents can shoot air guns on their own property if done in a safe manner!"

NBC Interview with Philip Van Cleave, VCDL President, regarding Pneumatic Guns in Fairfax.

"Battle Over Pneumatic Guns in Fairfax County"
    http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...124318004.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sesrun View Post
    NBC Interview with Philip Van Cleave, VCDL President, regarding Pneumatic Guns in Fairfax.

"Battle Over Pneumatic Guns in Fairfax County"
    http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...124318004.html
    Fuzzy? What's fuzzy about it?

TFred

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post

TFred
    I thought her intent was clear. Anything that allows a citizen to make an informed judgment, and not let the government do it for him, is going to be wrong, in her mind. Everyday citizens are too stupid to know what affects others.

I'm so tired of politicians telling me in one way or another that I'm stupid......

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    The inside of Bulova's head has been fuzzy for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by SicSemperTyrannis View Post
    The meeting went very well until Supervisor McKay found some minor language he disagreed with regarding "traversing school grounds" with an airgun. They debated the wording for way too long, then proceeded to ignore the advice of the county attorney. In the end they passed the new ordinance with a minor (unnecessary and against the advice of the county attorney) change to the wording that they will have to fix later. On another note if anyone has Herrity as their supervisor, he got up and left before the public hearing on the gun law. If I was in his district I would right him to complain.

VCDL got a mention in today's The Virginian Pilot in their weekly "Hit and Miss" column, saying that the presence at this meeting was a "miss" and that VCDL had gone "overboard" at the meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by drdan01 View Post
    VCDL got a mention in today's The Virginian Pilot in their weekly "Hit and Miss" column, saying that the presence at this meeting was a "miss" and that VCDL had gone "overboard" at the meeting.
    "Kettle, you're black!"

A Norfolk-based newspaper has a lot of gall deriding a state-wide organization for participating in the open political process of a community 100 miles north of it's own location!!

TFred