• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairfax County Call to Action--June 21, 2011

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors is holding a public hearing to fight back against the new state law restricting their ability to regulate pneumatic guns.

Public hearing is June 21.

From a Virginia Citizen's Defense League alert:

...Sooooo, [the Board of Supervisors wants] to hear from the public, do they?

I think VCDL can oblige them! Don't you agree, NoVA gun owners?

The hearing is going to be held on Tuesday, June 21st. More details on time and location will be provided as the event gets closer...

If you've never attended a public hearing, or never spoken, its an experience you don't want to miss.

Time of Hearing: VCDL is reporting 5:00pm, thinking that since there is nothing specific on the agenda, the BoS may be just taking comments during regular comment time.

Can't Attend? You can submit remarks in writing by mail or e-mail. From the BoS website:

Note: If you cannot appear on the date of the public hearing but wish to submit written testimony, please mail to Clerk to the Board of Supervisors, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 533, Fairfax, VA 22035, or e-mail Clerk to the Board . (Please provide your full name, home address and home and work telephone numbers as applicable.)

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/bosclerk/public.htm

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors is holding a public hearing to fight back against the new state law restricting their ability to regulate pneumatic guns.

The hearing is going to be held on Tuesday, June 21st. More details on time and location will be provided as the event gets closer...

If you've never attended a public hearing, or never spoken, its an experience you don't want to miss.

That'll be interesting. I'll bet the palm reader lady will be there:lol::lol:
She puts a curse on all evil gun owners every year.

IanB

Ohh boy! Open Carry fun at the Fairfax Co Government Taj Mahal, can't wait!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Man, I have to be in Blacksburg that day. Hopefully I'll be done early enough to race back up here and let my "Reps" know how I feel about the change in the law.

Dig around the Board of Supervisors (BoS) website. Even if you cannot attend, you may be able to submit your remarks in written form. Carbon copy to your supervisor, of course.

And, maybe we can find out to whom at the General Assembly the BoS plans to submit their report. We can submit our own report directly to the same entity. And, it would be kinda fun to FOIA the BoS submission to see if it included the pre-emption supporters.

It seems to me that if the BoS reached out to the press to promote the public hearing, they are serious about this. Maybe we can FOIA the BoS for notes and records related to reaching out to the press on this.

Riana

I'd love to attend, but that's the last day of school for my son (Fairfax Public Schools), so I don't know what my schedule is yet. If I can't attend, I'd be happy to write a letter, though.

jadedone4

In the risk of sounding obtuse....

Time of Hearing: VCDL is reporting 5:00pm, thinking that since there is nothing specific on the agenda, the BoS may be just taking comments during regular comment time.

Can't Attend? You can submit remarks in writing by mail or e-mail. From the BoS website:

Note: If you cannot appear on the date of the public hearing but wish to submit written testimony, please mail to Clerk to the Board of Supervisors, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 533, Fairfax, VA 22035, or e-mail Clerk to the Board . (Please provide your full name, home address and home and work telephone numbers as applicable.)

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/bosclerk/public.htm

... is the "call to arms" about...

a. OC'g at the BOS meeting

b. addressing the pnuematic gun issue (with pnuematic's being both tools/nailers and BB and CO2 guns/rifles)

c. addressing FFX County's (which I am a resident, less than a mile from the Gov't Ctr) over-reaching into Commonwealth (state) laws, etc....?

VCDL President

Centurion
... is the "call to arms" about...

a. OC'g at the BOS meeting

b. addressing the pnuematic gun issue (with pnuematic's being both tools/nailers and BB and CO2 guns/rifles)

c. addressing FFX County's (which I am a resident, less than a mile from the Gov't Ctr) over-reaching into Commonwealth (state) laws, etc....?

From VCDL's point of view B and C. How, of if, you are carrying is up to you. We want to point out that we don't need the government telling us about shooting BB and pellet guns on our own property and that such guns are a great way to teach a youngster how to shoot and also about personal responsibility.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Most recent VA-ALERT answered both of my questions. For those curious, it is still at 5pm and the air gun issue is on the official agenda.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Fuzzy? What's fuzzy about it?

TFred

I thought her intent was clear. Anything that allows a citizen to make an informed judgment, and not let the government do it for him, is going to be wrong, in her mind. Everyday citizens are too stupid to know what affects others.

I'm so tired of politicians telling me in one way or another that I'm stupid......

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
So..... any news or reports?

The meeting went very well until Supervisor McKay found some minor language he disagreed with regarding "traversing school grounds" with an airgun. They debated the wording for way too long, then proceeded to ignore the advice of the county attorney. In the end they passed the new ordinance with a minor (unnecessary and against the advice of the county attorney) change to the wording that they will have to fix later. On another note if anyone has Herrity as their supervisor, he got up and left before the public hearing on the gun law. If I was in his district I would right him to complain.

Glockster

VCDL got a mention in today's The Virginian Pilot in their weekly "Hit and Miss" column, saying that the presence at this meeting was a "miss" and that VCDL had gone "overboard" at the meeting.

TFred

VCDL got a mention in today's The Virginian Pilot in their weekly "Hit and Miss" column, saying that the presence at this meeting was a "miss" and that VCDL had gone "overboard" at the meeting.
"Kettle, you're black!"

A Norfolk-based newspaper has a lot of gall deriding a state-wide organization for participating in the open political process of a community 100 miles north of it's own location!!

TFred