• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about restaurant OC

tletourneau

Does anyone know of restaurants in the Twin Cities area (preferably around the west suburbs) that are OC friendly?

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

xmanhockey7

Does anyone know of restaurants in the Twin Cities area (preferably around the west suburbs) that are OC friendly?

I've found it best to just open carry in places I legally can be whether they're tech oc friendly or not. If you are asked to leave b/c your gun tell them you will take your business elsewhere and suggest others to do the same.

robdoar

I'm in Minnetonka, and neither the wife or I have had any problems or been asked to leave anywhere.

Hard to say if anyplace is "Friendly" but none of the chains, (Applebees, Chilis, Famous Daves, etc.) Have had any problems. I had a nice convo about self defense with a Mgr. at Tino's pizza in MTKA.

Though not in the west burbs, Alary's and the Gopher bar is St. Paul are Very OC friendly. "The Lodge" in robbinsdale is owned by the same guy that owns Bills Range. I don't go there, but I'd say its safe to assume they are friendly.

I go by the therory that everyone is frendly until they're not. :)

~Sent while mobile.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I go by the therory that everyone is frendly until they're not. :)

Absolutely the best approach - endorsed and practiced with regularity.

We check out a new place with several lunch and/or dinner stops by a pair of OCers. That way we spread the wealth - add to the list. Then too come time for an event/dinner meet-up, we have an established true list of experiences from which to draw.

tletourneau

Thanks for the responses. I was looking for a starting point to contact some known friendly places about a possible monthly OC breakfast or lunch gathering. A MN specific forum I'm on has a monthly breakfast gathering. On the notice they said conceal carry is preferred, I asked (as not to upset anyone in that group) if it was preferred or required. You'd almost think I'd pissed in some of their Wheaties by some of the responses I received. One of the more popular sentiments was, and I paraphrase, that if people don't like it they can start their own gathering. So I figured I'd start by asking about friendly restaurants here and after verifying that they would be ok with a group event seeing if I could find anyone interested in attending.

Thanks again for the input, it is truly appreciated.

robdoar

Tom,
The 2nd Sat. north b-fast has been going on for a while... I've gone before and OC'd, and it wasn't an issue, just not the reason for the get together.

Plenty of the gun guys around here don't like open carry. Some think it's a target on your back, some think its a "Hey look at me" sign, etc. others just want to do the breakfast, and not have it turn into an activism event or police encounter. Others couldn't carr less.

I dont think it's "concealed preferred" as much as "carry as usual". Most of the time, the organizers dont want to be advertising something as an oc event. (Other than the Gopher breakfast)

I would love to see something regular in the west metro...

~Sent while mobile

Last edited:

tletourneau

Robdoar,

I understand, I went to the breakfast and had a good time. I had fun and enlightening conversations with several members including the reasons for the conceal carry preference at the gathering. I have absolutely no problem with carrying in whatever way the organizers of the gathering like. It's their party and they make the rules, as it should be. I was just asking for clarification.

For me it was the phrasing of the invitation that caused me to ask questions. Had it been phrased "Please conceal carry" or "conceal carry required" rather than "conceal carry is preferred" I wouldn't have even asked and would have attended knowing the will of the organizer. To me the first two statements are a declaration and the last has room for interpretation by including the word preferred. Some may say it's just semantics but words and the way they are used are important. I am not psychic so I asked the question to ensure I understood the intent of the statement.

What took me by surprise was the almost angry reaction of some of the members, who were not the organizers, for apparently even asking the question. I was almost immediately labeled an OC activist and was essentially told to go away and stay away. Instruction that I do not plan to follow by the way.

I do not feel my post(s) on that board have been inflammatory in any way regarding OC. I have no problem with CC and like many here, although not all, will carry in whatever way I feel appropriate for a given situation.

If I can find a place that is ok with housing an event that is carry agnostic I will post here and on a couple of the other forums to see what kind of interest there is. I'm not necessarily doing this as an OC thing but rather as a carry however you like thing.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to be clear on my what my thoughts are.

Alude904

Im not in MN but if you guys can oc there and theyre having a meet why would you cc? Why? Stupid imo

tletourneau

Im not in MN but if you guys can oc there and theyre having a meet why would you cc? Why? Stupid imo

MN is a permit to carry state, if you have a permit you can OC or CC. No permit, no carry (ok very limited carry in a very narrow scope, but I'm not getting into that here :)).

As for carrying at the specific event mentioned, the organizers want attendees to CC. It's their party so they make the rules. It's only polite to follow the rules of the people organizing the gathering.

On another note how about a Culver's lunch? I haven't contacted any yet but the companies stated policy is that they follow state laws. There is one in Plymouth.

robdoar

Some people arent up for the potential hassle of being asked to leave, a police encounter, or getting into a debate. It's people's right to choose how they want to carry.

OC is not for everyone.
Code:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Some people arent up for the potential hassle of being asked to leave, a police encounter, or getting into a debate. It's people's right to choose how they want to carry.

OC is not for everyone.

Very true.

We want/promote the option, not a requirement to OC.