• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Parents react to Inmates at a County Park

Badger Johnson

Amazing how the authorities can 'redefine' any situation to suit their often careless decisions. How can the spokesperson say there is no danger without reviewing each inmate's case file and psychological history. The very REASON people are incarcerated is to separate them from the law-abiding population while they serve their sentence.

Jeeze. :mad:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Amazing how the authorities can 'redefine' any situation to suit their often careless decisions. How can the spokesperson say there is no danger without reviewing each inmate's case file and psychological history. The very REASON people are incarcerated is to separate them from the law-abiding population while they serve their sentence.

Jeeze. :mad:

How about you find out the criteria for getting on the work gang before you start spouting off about just how dangerous a situation the Sheriff is creating?

Look at http://www.topix.com/county/saginaw-mi/2011/06/inmates-clean-park-during-school-field-trip

Inmate work crews were established by Sheriff Federspiel to have those incarcerated on minor offenses work within our community to give back to the residents of Saginaw County by Cleaning up roadsides, ditches, parks and other public areas upon request. The work crews have assisted with Habitat for Humanity as well as other non-profit organizations.

I can't say for certain that the inmates assigned to work crews will not do something violent when outside the jail on a work crew assignment. It's happened before in lots of jurisdictions even with the best screening and prior good track records of the inmate. But it does not sound like the Sheriff is willy-nilly sending violent offenders out into the community.

Having been in charge of selecting inmates for community work programs and work release programs for VA DOC I can tell you that both criminal and psychological records are reviewed, as well as reports on behavior in prison/jail before the inmate became eligible for the program, let alone selected to participate. I'm willing to wager that there is a similar review process in Saginaw, MI.

As for the parents, I'd like to know why they are not worried about, for example, all the cars zipping along beside the park that could crash into their children - especially if driven by some deranged person bent on hurting others. Or about someone's pet dog breaking loose and savagly attacking the children. Or an airplane falling out of the sky on top of the children. Or a tree falling over and killing or maiming a child. Those are all things that have happened in the past, and could happen again. But no, the parents key in on inmates who are under direct supervision, have a lot to lose if they screw up, and are probably close to their release date anyhow.

Thinbk about it.

stay safe.

KBCraig

Amazing how the authorities can 'redefine' any situation to suit their often careless decisions. How can the spokesperson say there is no danger without reviewing each inmate's case file and psychological history.
Skidmark beat me to it, but what do you think happens before inmates are placed on such crews? They just walk down the cellblock and ask for volunteers?

There is such a thing as inmate classification, you know. It's how they decide who goes to work release, versus who goes to Supermax.

The very REASON people are incarcerated is to separate them from the law-abiding population while they serve their sentence.
And what happens after they've served their sentence? These very same individuals are turned loose into the "law-abiding population"! Horrors!

I mean, people who are in the county jail because they wrote misdemeanor hot checks might be free to do so again!!!!

LibertyDeath

When you got a crew of inmates working in a park at least you know they are the bad guy. Look around and try to spot the creeper that is gonna snatch your kid. It won't be the inmate. In fact the presence of the inmates and the C/O will make the creeper leave the area. So in other words you're safer with the work crew there.