• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC/CC for cab drivers

MSC 45ACP

I went to the police dept. yesterday to apply for a Cab Driver’s Permit. When I entered the “police station”, I didn’t know if it was considered a “secure area” because I had to ring a bell to gain entrance and the door was opened by someone inside the office. I was CCing at the time. As a courtesy, I showed the officer my CHP and made a gesture toward my pistol (still concealed) on my left hip. I said “I just wanted to let you know because I didn’t know if this was a secure area or not”. The officer said “no problem, just don’t bring it when you come back.”
At that point, I began to wonder if “cabbies” were prohibited from carrying (and if there was a City Code that stated such) or maybe it was a “secure area” and she allowed me to keep it while I was there, but couldn’t bring it when I came back. Does the “secure area” of a police department have to be “posted” or can any LEO just tell OCers (or CCers) not to carry in the building and that’s the last word. I’ve seen posts about this in Fairfax and seen the YouTube video from some OCers that actually confronted LEOs about carrying in the “lobby” of a PD.

The police sub-station is in an area well-populated by folks just “hanging around looking for something to do”. When I first drove up, I transitioned from OC to CC to keep a “low profile” and maintain tactical advantage should it be necessary. I wasn’t carrying a BUG, but would have been more comfortable doing so.
When I go back for my “interview”, I will comply with the officer’s “request” because I want this permit. Another thought dawned on me, though…
Do most cab companies prohibit their drivers from carrying on the job?
Being disabled, there aren’t many things I can do for employment. I’m not even sure how long I will be able to do this one (if I decide to do it).
Anyone have any thoughts/input on OC or CC as a cabbie? I thought I remember an OCDO “member” (or two) being cab drivers...

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
The officer was incorrect - unless they had you walking through a holding cell area, the police station is not a secure area, and it certainly isn't a prohibited place for you to carry.

There are no laws prohibiting cabbies from carrying, and even if Fairfax had such an ordinance, it would be invalidated by pre-emption.

Last edited:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
The officer was incorrect - unless they had you walking through a holding cell area, the police station is not a secure area, and it certainly isn't a prohibited place for you to carry.

There are no laws prohibiting cabbies from carrying, and even if Fairfax had such an ordinance, it would be invalidated by pre-emption.

I know for a certainty some of the cities around here have ordinances against carrying a firearm in a cab (Danville to be specific). Of course this ordinance is unenforceable for those who know that it's unenforceable. This is one of the myriad of unenforceable codes I found when I started my search for bad local ordinances a month or so back.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You have to be interviewed to drive a Cab:eek:

When I was 20 (Dark ages) I drove one one summer. I got a Chauffeurs addition to my drivers license and went to work that night.
I was really glad to go back to school. Nasty job!

Last edited:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
I understand that there are no VA codes forbidding a cab driver from carrying, but I strongly suspect that most cab companies (being private entities) forbid their drivers from carrying because of "liability concerns". Heck, maybe they just want their ridership to have "a pleasant riding experience" or some other pap. If a driver is found to be carrying, about all they could do is fire him, but he wouldn't be breaking any laws.

The Wolfhound

I expect you sign more than a few forms BEFORE riding along. Probably not even fine print prohibiting it. Straight out prohibited would be my guess. Tons of legal issues in a city/county vehicle and a non "trained" gun carrier.

NovaCop

Hunter is right, in my dept and every other I have heard from, there are strict rules against carrying any weapon on a ride along (gun, pocketknife, taser). It's a huge liability for the dept and the person doing the ride along. There is no "right" to ride along with police so the dept can set their own rules (clothing worn, background check, etc).

On a side note, if I have someone that seems level headed and familiar with guns, I will tell em how to get out the assault rifle out if the lock and only do so if we are getting shot at.

I am not familiar with cab ordinances in my jurisdiction, there is a special inspector for that. I will say that can drivers have a very dangerous job and get robbed often. Off duty I have talked to many can drivers that carry and I believe is very necessary in their line of work.

If that station is not connected to the courts or has cells, then that officer is wrong. I'd double check and give his supervisor a call.

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm not going to "make any stink" until AFTER I get my permit. NOVA is correct... There is only ONE officer assigned as the Cab Inspector and I'd rather not annoy that officer until AFTER I get what I need. Even after I get it, is it worth raising a stink and annoying this officer just to prove a point? If that is the only inspector in that jurisdiction, then I would probably like to remain low-profile or as invisible as I can. It stands to reason that the inspector could very well make a cabbie's life uncomfortable if they wanted to...

Last edited:

TFred

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm not going to "make any stink" until AFTER I get my permit. NOVA is correct... There is only ONE officer assigned as the Cab Inspector and I'd rather not annoy that officer until AFTER I get what I need. Even after I get it, is it worth raising a stink and annoying this officer just to prove a point? If that is the only inspector in that jurisdiction, then I would probably like to remain low-profile or as invisible as I can. It stands to reason that the inspector could very well make a cabbie's life uncomfortable if they wanted to...
You could just OC. Let them tell you to leave, or whatever, then at that point (if it's the same person), tell them that you had been curious and you confirmed that there is no rule against it.

Of course, you probably won't have any need to go back there for a long time.

TFred

MSC 45ACP

TFred, that same person also conducts "random" inspections of cabs in their jurisdiction. I'd rather be working than getting 'inspected' whenever the fancy struck them. I'll see how things go. I may not even like the job...

NovaCop

No, companies can set their own rules of conduct. If they allowed everyone to oc except for someone disabled, you could argue discrimination.

Msc, do you have a company in mind? Have you checked their gun policies?

45acpForMe

non-gun in a taxi

I doubt you would be driving to these counties but they have ordinances for knives in a taxi. (Go figure?) I doubt whatever company you are going to work for will allow OC. CC may be your best bet and if discovered (probably after a robbery attempt) you may lose that job. :)

Chesterfield, Co. VA 15-210 to operate a taxicab at any time with a knife with a blade longer than 3"
Danville, VA 39-31. & 23-52. to operate a taxicab at any time with a knife with a blade longer than 3" / No Knife on buses and at bus stops
Hanover Co. VA 22.1-47. operate and drive a for-hire car with a knife with a blade longer than three (3) inches in length in his possession,
Henrico Co. VA 21-139. operate and drive a for-hire car with a knife with a blade longer than three (3) inches in length in his possession,

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

I doubt you would be driving to these counties but they have ordinances for knives in a taxi. (Go figure?) I doubt whatever company you are going to work for will allow OC. CC may be your best bet and if discovered (probably after a robbery attempt) you may lose that job. :)

Chesterfield, Co. VA 15-210 to operate a taxicab at any time with a knife with a blade longer than 3"
Danville, VA 39-31. & 23-52. to operate a taxicab at any time with a knife with a blade longer than 3" / No Knife on buses and at bus stops
Hanover Co. VA 22.1-47. operate and drive a for-hire car with a knife with a blade longer than three (3) inches in length in his possession,
Henrico Co. VA 21-139. operate and drive a for-hire car with a knife with a blade longer than three (3) inches in length in his possession,

Does this apply to passengers or just the driver? because if the passengers can carry that then the driver is subject to robbery without self defence.