• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA Basic Pistol Course - Qualifies (SE Wisconsin)

P229Sig357DAK

DEBBIE O'MALLEY
THE INSTITUTE// PERSONAL PROTECTION ACADEMY
773 497 8543
WWW.PERSONALPROTECTIONINSTRUCTION.COM

I have taken classes through this family. They are NRA Certified Instructors. Debbie schedules all of the classes and her husband Peter and son Michael are the primary and secondary instructors. If I recall correctly Peter has retired from two police departments ( New Orleans & Chicago ) and I believe that Michael is LE in Chicago. Nice People!!!

They hold classes at a range in Bristol

Outdoorsman1

Just spoke with Debbie...

From what I understood... They offer 3 levels of training... all with about 2 or 3 students per instuctor... They are based in IL.

Basic to qualify for permit @ $130.00

She was REAL persistant on pushing the other two levels (covers legal ramifications, advanced trainning, etc., etc.,)

I did provide my e-mail address for more info but also had to make it clear (interupt her sales pictch) that I was only interested in trainning to obtain the permit and I coudl do that with a DNR Hunter Saftey Course...

I think she also said something about weekend only classes but I could be wrong on that.

Edited to add;

For now I am going to wait and see what Calicojack can work out as far as comming to S.E. WI to offer his classes... or worst case senario, if he cannot make it, I will take a DNR hunter safety course.

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

For now I am going to wait and see what Calicojack can work out as far as comming to S.E. WI to offer his classes... or worst case senario, if he cannot make it, I will take a DNR hunter safety course.

Outdoorsman1

But but but... the permit is only supposed to cost $50. What's the big deal with a permit system?

If we can't get CJack down here, and I see no reason why not, I say we get a crew and head up there. There are several instructors here in Wisco too. None of which have any history with the Chicago or New Orleans Police. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure this family is wonderful. Everyone deserves to make a living... but I fled IL for a reason.

M

McX

i'll hold off until i hear from WisconsinCarry. these are the first moments, of the first days, we have time yet.

Vandil

Just spoke with Debbie...

From what I understood... They offer 3 levels of training... all with about 2 or 3 students per instuctor... They are based in IL.

Basic to qualify for permit @ $130.00

She was REAL persistant on pushing the other two levels (covers legal ramifications, advanced trainning, etc., etc.,)

I did provide my e-mail address for more info but also had to make it clear (interupt her sales pictch) that I was only interested in trainning to obtain the permit and I coudl do that with a DNR Hunter Saftey Course...

I think she also said something about weekend only classes but I could be wrong on that.

Edited to add;

Outdoorsman1

You can do the WI hunters safety course via CDrom and internet, just one field day at the end for 2 tests. I wouldn't normally recommend that to a new guy but I think for any of the old hands that just need a permit it's the easiest way to do it.

oliverclotheshoff

no thanks ill wait for calico jacks class even though i have my hunters ed card i will still take a class from jack

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

Maybe CJack could work something out with WCInc.?

We do have several other instructors here on the forum too. Hopefully they will chime in soon.

Outdoorsman1

McX
i'll hold off until i hear from WisconsinCarry. these are the first moments, of the first days, we have time yet.

Me Too.....

If we can't get CJack down here, and I see no reason why not, I say we get a crew and head up there. There are several instructors here in Wisco too. None of which have any history with the Chicago or New Orleans Police. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure this family is wonderful. Everyone deserves to make a living... but I fled IL for a reason.

I agree but alass...recent change in family responsibilites prevent me from any long travel for more than one day...

You can do the WI hunters safety course via CDrom and internet, just one field day at the end for 2 tests. I wouldn't normally recommend that to a new guy but I think for any of the old hands that just need a permit it's the easiest way to do it.

Agreed.... And the Hunter Saftey Course would be ONLY to obtain the permit and in NO WAY be considered a substitue for REAL handgun trainning....

Outddorsman1

Last edited:

wild boar

Hayyyyy Handy.

But but but... the permit is only supposed to cost $50. What's the big deal with a permit system?

Cut your losses. Join the Marines, quit after basic, problem solved....LOL:lol:

Last edited:

treebound

Only five counties currently are listed with the CD/ROM Internet option, and three of those are this weekend.

I would suspect that once things are signed and the word gets out that many of the traditional Hunter Safety classes will book up early. I think most people will have to look for alternative training.

I also suspect there will soon be a lot of, shall we say, entrepeneurs (sp?) appearing out of nowhere offering up classes that may or may not qualify.

mliederbach

Only five counties currently are listed with the CD/ROM Internet option, and three of those are this weekend.

I would suspect that once things are signed and the word gets out that many of the traditional Hunter Safety classes will book up early. I think most people will have to look for alternative training.

I also suspect there will soon be a lot of, shall we say, entrepeneurs (sp?) appearing out of nowhere offering up classes that may or may not qualify.

I'm not sure what part of the state you're in , but they do offer classes on all day Sat & Suns as a two day class for $10.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

The way things sound practically any type of "trainnig" will qualify. Particapant in a competion shoot, Out dated Hunter Saftey Certificate, etc. etc..

July 4th is coming up..maybe I go go to my local July 4th festivities and win a stuffed animal at one of the shooting games. Just send the stuffed animal along with the application and I would be good to go..

Ok..sarcasum at the mentality of the permit requirerment off....

Outdoorsman1

32HR MAG

The way things sound practically any type of "trainnig" will qualify. Particapant in a competion shoot, Out dated Hunter Saftey Certificate, etc. etc..

July 4th is coming up..maybe I go go to my local July 4th festivities and win a stuffed animal at one of the shooting games. Just send the stuffed animal along with the application and I would be good to go..

Ok..sarcasum at the mentality of the permit requirerment off....

Outdoorsman1

Outdated ? What makes a "Hunter Safety Certificate" outdated ?

HandyHamlet

Cut your losses. Join the Marines, quit after basic, problem solved....LOL:lol:

Too old and fat. They won't take me. I have thousands of hours on Call of Duty (XBox Live) though. That should count for something. Wonder if I can get a certificate from Bill Gates and Microsoft...

Last edited:
M

McX

Too old and fat. They won't take me. I have thousands of hours on Call of Duty (XBox Live) though. That should count for something.

and dont forget, after all, your just a duck.

i went with the high steppin aviltar for now, cause that dude is in a school zone with a permit.

Outdoorsman1

Ok I received 2 e-mails from Debbie...(See the OP)....

1st Email...

Hello Loddie,
Thank you for your interest in our firearm training.

If you have a friend who is also interested in joining you for a class,
we have a 2 person discount for all courses.

We offer Formal Classes in:
1.Pistol
2. Rifle
3. Shotgun
4. AR - Rifle
5. Advanced handgun / home defense / personal protection /
6. Non-Resident of Florida CCW
7. Tactical handgun training
8. Tactical Shotgun
9. Tactical AR - Rifle
10. Legal seminars on the laws governing ownership, transportation, storage, & traveling from state to state with a firearm. (Two of Our instructors are also attorneys who practice civil & criminal cases. )
11. CPR

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,
Debbie O'Malley
773 497 8543
www.personalprotectioninstruction.com

Not bad... kinda short and too the point...

2nd E-mail kinda a different story... See My Next Post...

Outdoosman1

M

McX

1.Pistol
2. Rifle
3. Shotgun
4. AR - Rifle
8. Tactical Shotgun
9. Tactical AR - Rifle
10. Legal seminars on the laws governing ownership, transportation, storage, & traveling from state to state with a firearm. (Two of Our instructors are also attorneys who practice civil & criminal cases. )
11. CPR
12. Zombies

now this is my kind of school.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

2nd E-mail from Debbie...

6- 10 - 11
********************************************************************************************************************
HELLO LODDIE,
THANK YOU FOR YOUR REQUEST FOR OUR FORMAL PISTOL TRAINING CLASS.
THIS IS FOR OUR FIREARM TRAINING BUSINESS THE INSTITUTE. WE HAVE BEEN IN
BUSINESS FOR 9 YRS, TRAINING CIVILIANS & LAW ENFORCEMENT. BELOW IS THE
COURSE INFORMATION.

BELOW IS THE BASIC PISTOL COURSE OUTINED FOR YOUR REVIEW.
THIS EXPLAINS THE PROCESS FOR YOUR OWN PROGRESSION TOWARDS THE
NON-RESIDENT OF FLORIDA CONCEAL CARRY CLASS OR ADVANCED HANDGUN
TRAINING.
THIS IS A 3 - 4 COURSE LEVEL PROGRAM. ( DEPENDING ON YOUR SKILL LEVEL )

1. BASIC PISTOL CLASS // LEARN 3 CALIBERS OF HANDGUN

A. ( YOU MAY NEED A TWO HOUR SESSION AFTER THE BASIC CLASS, TO TEACH YOU STRONG
& WEAK HAND SHOOTING. THIS PREPARES YOU FOR THE DRAWING FROM A HOSLTER CLASS. )

2. TWO HOUR ADVANCED HANDGUN COURSE // LEARN HOW TO DRAW FROM A HOLSTER, SAFELY.

3. NON-RESIDENT OF FLORIDA CONCEAL CARRY CLASS
THE TOTAL HOURS FOR THESE COURSES IS :12 HOURS. IT EXCEEDS THE RECIPROCITY STATE OF OHIO WHICH IS 10 HOURS
REQUIREMENT. FOR THE ADVANCED HANDGUN COURSE, YOU NEED A HANDGUN, HOLSTER,
2 - 3 MAGS, MAG POUCH & AMMO.
I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU,
DEBBIE O'MALLEY
THE INSTITUTE
773 497 8543
******************************************************************************************************************************** - 11

Hello Loddie,

This is the information on the 3 caliber pistol course.

This is a Basic Pistol Training Course, with Classroom & 1 hour of Range instruction.
If you are interested in a Conceal Carry Permit, we offer the Florida, non-resident
course. This gives you reciprocity in 38 states. Wisconsin would also be included
once the legislature approves the bill.
The First class, Certified basic pistol starts @ 1PM Saturday or Sunday.
Second Class for the Chicago Permit is a Seminar on Personal Protection
In The Home, which discusses, the legal, ethical & moral possession of a handgun.

The CCW for the Non-Resident / Florida course, begins @ 2PM, & concludes by 730 - 800 PM.
We are NRA Recruiters & Promoters, & we can sign anyone up for the NRA, interested in joining that day. The full membership is $35 for one year, we can offer them, the same membership for $25 for one year. Same benefits apply.
Our information on the Basic Pistol Training Course is listed below.

This is the first course selection for the Non-Resident of Florida Conceal Carry Class. We also offer courses:
BASIC SHOTGUN, BASIC RIFLE, AR RIFLE, TACTICAL SHOTGUN, TACTICAL AR RIFLE, ADVANCED HANDGUN, PNUEMATIC FLIP TARGETS, SHOOTING & MOVING, ADVANCING ON YOUR TARGET, SHOOTING BEHIND BARRACADES, .22 CHALLENGE, 2 GUN CHALLENGE, 3 GUN CHALLENGE, NITE OPS CLASS, REVOLVER CLASS, DIRTY HARRY CLASSIC, & MUCH MORE..........................
All classes are held at the BRISTOL SHOOTING RANGE, in Bristol, WI.
3 miles over the Wisconsin border.

This is a 300 acre range, with PISTOL RIFLE, SHOTGUN, AIRGUN, ARCHERY & BLACK POWDER RANGES. 5 Miles over the WI. border, in Kenosha County.

I hope this gives you the information you need.
I look forward to hearing from you,
Thank you,
Debbie O'Malley
Event Coordinator
The Institute
773 497 8543
*******************************************************************************************************
Good day Loddie,

Thank you for your inquiry for your basic pistol training course. The Institute began nine years ago as a training and instructional business for law enforcement & civilians. We are a family friendly instructional business, serving all types of training requests. Peter O'Malley is our Chief Instructor with a 40 YR. back round in firearm training. Peter O'Malley, has military & law enforcement experience & training. He is also an attorney, which makes him most knowledgeable on gun laws & gun rights, for IL, & WI. Espiecally, when he is conducting the CCW Course for the NON-RESIDENT OF FLORIDA. Peter O'Malley & Michael O'Malley are currently in the Coast Guard, so their training and instruction exceeds all requirements. Michael O'Malley is our Master Pistol, Instructor, with eight years firearm training, and Coast Guard training.

THE SINGLE PISTOL CLASS TEACHES YOU THE BASICS OF HANDGUN SHOOTING WITH ONE CALIBER:
THE .22 SEMI-AUTO. THIS IS FOR BEGINNERS WHO ARE LOOKING HOW TO LOAD, UNLOAD, TRANSPORT,
& STORE A HANDGUN SAFELY.

COST : $ 135 ALL INCLUSIVE FOR THE SINGLE PISTOL COURSE // CLASSROOM, RANGE INSTRUCTION, HANDGUN RENTAL, AMMO, EYE & EAR PROTECTION, TARGETS & YOUR CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION.

THE 3 CALIBER HANDGUN TRAINING & INSTRUCTION COURSE IS LISTED BELOW:
This certified pistol course is the best for all responsible gun owners, because it allows you to try 3 different calibers of handguns, and teaches you confidence and how to handle them safely. ( .22 semi-auto, .38 revolver, & 9MM semi-auto. )

Students are allowed to bring their own handguns & factory ammo to the class.
Reloads are not allowed.
The Institute's fee for a Formal four hour 3 Caliber Pistol Training Course:
is:This is the price for 1 person attending.If you have another person
interested there is a discount below.

$ 100 per person Course Fee.

$ 30 Non-Member fee per person Bristol, WI. paid the day of the lesson.

$ 35 reservation fee each which includes :
all targets, full classroom instruction, book on pistol instruction,
Gun Pamphlet on gun safety, ATF, Youth Handgun Pamphlet,
eye & ear protection, proper range safety with your handgun,
range instruction, and your certificate of completion signed by
Peter & Michael O'Malley, our certified instructors.

Total = $ 165 for one Non-Member payable to The Institute
( cash or check) SEE SPECIAL OFFER BELOW:
For June 12TH, 18th or 26th.

Includes course, pistol book, instruction in classroom & range,
eye & ear protection, all targets, certificate of completion & range fee.
Made payable to The Institute. Cash or check. ( No credit cards )
*****SAFETY IS OUR NUMBER ONE RULE******
SPECIAL OFFER FOR THE MONTH OF JUNE
$ 25 off as a New Client.

$ 140 1 person, all inclusive course fee.
$ 135 for 2 people, all inclusive course fee.
You may bring your own handguns to the class.

( 3 caliber course; .22 semi - auto, .38 revolver
& 9MM semi - auto )

( INCLUDES PISTOL BOOK, SAFETY PAMPHLET, CLASSROOM INSTRUCTION, RANGE INSTRUCTION, ALL TARGETS & CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION, & RANGE FEE PER PERSON. )
PAYABLE BY CASH OR CHECK
MADE PAYABLE TO THE INSTITUTE.

ALL FEES, RANGE FEE, BOOK & MATERIALS ARE INCLUDED. YOU WILL LEARN HOW TO SHOOT 3 CALIBERS OF HANDGUN; .22 SEMI-AUTO, .38 REVOLVER, & A 9MM SEMI-AUTO.
**********************************************************************************************************************
Advanced handgun course is the next level of training. You need a handgun, holster, 2 -3 mags, mag pouch, 2 -3 boxes of ammo. You will learn how to shoot and move, advance on your target, & draw from a holster safely. You can rent our handguns & holster for this course.
COST : $ 99 // PLUS $30 RANGE FEE.
****************************************************************************************************
CONCEAL CARRY CLASS: You will receive a Book on Personal Protection Outside the Home,
5 handouts on drawing from concealment, Conceal Carry Insurance Information, & your certificate of completion.
COST : $ 169 // PLUS $ 30 RANGE FEE. We can schedule this class, after all courses above are complete.
***********************************************************************************
***********************************************************************************
Loddie,
You will Learn:
1.Proper Sight Picture
2. CORRECT GRIP
3. PROPER STANCE
4. RIGHT & LEFT EYE DOMINANCE
5. STRONG & WEAK HAND TECHNIQUES
6. PROPER LOADING
7. PROPER HANDLING
8. PROPER TRANSPORTING
9. PROPER STORAGE
10. RANGE SAFETY RULES
11. MISSFIRES/ JAMS/ SQUIBS
12. SAFETY LOADING THE MAGAZINE OR REVOLVER CYLINDER
13. PROPER SHOOTING POSITIONS / BENCH RESTING & STANDING
14. PROPER HOME DEFENSE AMMO
15. CENTER MASS TARGET SHOOTING
16. PROPER CLEARING THE HANDGUN ( REVOLVER & SEMI-AUTO )

17. STRONG & WEAK HAND SHOOTING

18. JAM CLEARING

19. MALFUNCTION CLEARING

20. SPECIFIC HANDGUN SELECTION FOR YOU AFTER THE COURSE.

Your lesson can be scheduled for the dates given
above.COURSE TIMES BEGIN FROM 1PM - 5PM.

The next class is a gun cleaning class,with instruction on the range, & a advanced handgun course, learning how to draw from a holster, safely, shoot & move, & advance on your target. We help you progress at your own pace, to advance to the level you desire. We also prepare you for the non-resident of Florida, conceal carry class as well.

Bristol, WI. is LESS THAN 1 HOUR FROM CHICAGO & MOST SUBURBS.

DIRECTIONS: TAKE THE 294 NORTH HWY TO WI. EXIT HWY 50, TURN LEFT GOING WEST, 5 MILES TO ROUTE 45, TURN LEFT GOING SOUTH, 1 MILE TO 85TH STREET, TURN RIGHT, BRISTOL IS 1/2 MILE ON YOUR LEFT. GO TO THE SECOND ENTRANCE AT THE TOP OF THE HILL, ACROSS THE ARCHERY RANGE AND TURN LEFT IN THE PARKING LOT. WE WILL MEET THERE AT THE MAIN CLUBHOUSE FOR THE CLASSROOM SESSION OF THE COURSE.

*** SPECIAL NOTE: WE ARE NRA RECRUITERS, SO IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO JOIN THE NRA , IT IS $25 FOR THE FIRST YEAR. THAT IS A $10 SAVINGS, PLUS ALL THE MEMBERSHIP EXTRAS. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP WE CAN PROVIDE THAT SERVICE FOR YOU AS WELL. ***

CERTIFIED BASIC PISTOL COURSE TEACHES : 3 CALIBER COURSE .22 SEMI-AUTO,
.38 REVOLVER, & 9MM SEMI-AUTO.

You can write a personal check or pay cash TO:
THE INSTITUTE

Please confirm,
Thank you for your interest.
Debbie O'Malley
Event Coordinator
The Institute
773 497 8543
www.personalprotectioninstruction.com

We shoot at the Bristol Shooting Ranges
21001 W. 85TH ST. Bristol, WI. 53104 /
Pistol range is enclosed and under cover.
Rain or Shine. Less than 1 Hour from Chicago.
3 Miles over the Wisconsin border.

WOW....

Outdoorsman1

Outdoorsman1

1.Pistol
2. Rifle
3. Shotgun
4. AR - Rifle
8. Tactical Shotgun
9. Tactical AR - Rifle
11. CPR
12. Zombies

now this is my kind of school.

Wow..thats kinda strange... I did not even see #12 when I cut and pasted the e-mail....

Hmmmmmm...???

Outdoorsman1