• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dangerous dogs in Stevens County

Dave Workman

Trigger Dr

Having been a victim of pit bull attack, I say shoot at first sign of agression and before being bitten.
RCW16.08

Sharpender

The thought of shooting a dog is not a pleasant one. I almost shot one down at Chamber's Creek a few weeks ago. You are supposed to have your dog leashed at all times while there, unless your dog is in the fenced doggie park area. Plenty of signs posted to the fact. It doesn't stop a lot of people from disregarding the rules.

So we're down at the park, wife, daughter, our Lab, and myself. I have my dog on a leash....because I follow rules. I notice a couple walking with a Boxer/Rot mix, no leash of course. My daughter is about 50 feet in front of me, my dog, and wife, sitting on a blanket in the grass. All of the sudden the Box/Rot bolts right for my daughter from about 200 feet away. The couple starts shouting "it's ok he's friendly!" I don't care that they think their dog is friendly when it's running at my 12 year old daughter. I let go of my dogs leash and tell him to "go get Sara!" my daughter. My dog runs off toward her. I draw my 9 and aim at the Box/Rot. At this point the couple starts screaming "no, he won't hurt her!" I ignore this of course and keep my sights on the Box/Rot.

After my dog makes it to my daughter he turns and runs toward the Box/Rot. The Box/Rot is about 100 feet from my daughter and I put my finger on the trigger and yell at my daughter not to move. This takes place in a big open grassy field, no objects between my shot and the Box/Rot, and nothing in the background but grass due to the angle I'd be shooting from. At about 75 feet my dog and the Box/Rot collide and start jumping all over each other like long lost friends...just playing and having a good time. After a few seconds I holster my 9. The Box/Rot owners apologize...a lot. I'm still pissed and the adrenaline is still going so I didn't end the conversation in the most diplomatic way. I told them "A few more steps and I would have killed your dog!" They apologize again. I tell them to "Put your f@cking dog on a leash!" We walk away, they walk away, the end.

hermannr

This is actually a "pack" of dogs doing this damage. Been on the news over here several times in the last couple weeks. I personally do not understand why someone has not shot them already. They know what the dogs look like, they have them on a game camara photos.

BTW: If an unknown dog is attacking you, your family, or your animals, or it is running game animals on your property, it is open season in WA.

I shot a dog that was running deer through my property, He was with another dog. The lead dog was a shepherd type, the following dog was a golden lab type. I shot the lead dog, the second dog stopped chasing the deer, sniffed his companion, turned around and went back the way he came. I'm sorry, you do not let dogs run free, except on your own property, especially if there is more than one of them.

Badger Johnson

The couple starts shouting "it's ok he's friendly!" I don't care that they think their dog is friendly when it's running at my 12 year old daughter.

Funny; I've seen a lot of dogs running at me while riding a Multiuse Path and never had anyone shout 'Look out he's not friendly'. They all think their snarling charging dog is friendly. What does that mean, he'll jump on you, nip at you but won't go for the throat so that equals 'friendly'?

They don't seem to mind if their dog jumps up on you knocks you down, or scratches you with their dog crap infested toenails. It took a month for one such scratch to heal, going all down my leg from a "friendly dog". "He just wants to play" Well, newsflash, I don't want to play or I'd have my own dog.

They also don't care if their dog suddenly barks at you scaring the crap out of you. If I walked up to them and mimicked a dog barking at 80 dB in their ear all of a sudden they'd be all panicked and flailing their arms.

Just last night some bimbo had a dog on a long extensible leash, and she turned when we walked by and released the leash while walking back towards us, the dog going nuts, dragging her closer. She was actually laughing and getting off on the fact that she could use her dog to be obnoxious. We were complete strangers walking on the very far side of the road going the other way. Next time, I'm spraying the dog and, I hope, getting her in the process, I swear. It was not a small dog and made both of us jump. If he had gotten loose he'd have gone for us, and she didn't seem to have any control, holding on with both hands.

Hammer

Every spring dogs that are allowed to run loose will pack up and chase. Chase what you say? Why, anything that will run, to include livestock, wild game, and yes, humans. In agricultural Stevens county, I expect most everyone knows this. Most should also understand that dogs seen running stock or game will be shot on sight. Of the many farmers I have known who will shoot them, the meaner ones will intentionally shoot the dog in the guts so it will go home to die and bring a message to its owner. The sheriff already said all he needs to. See 'em, shoot 'em.

sudden valley gunner

This is actually a "pack" of dogs doing this damage. Been on the news over here several times in the last couple weeks.

Dogs are domesticated Wolves if allowed to run free like you mentioned they will revert to their genetically ingrained pack/hunter ways.

They also don't care if their dog suddenly barks at you scaring the crap out of you. If I walked up to them and mimicked a dog barking at 80 dB in their ear all of a sudden they'd be all panicked and flailing their arms.

I got a video camera that sounds like it would be some funny shiznit to record right there......:lol:

Jeff Hayes

Every spring dogs that are allowed to run loose will pack up and chase. Chase what you say? Why, anything that will run, to include livestock, wild game, and yes, humans. In agricultural Stevens county, I expect most everyone knows this. Most should also understand that dogs seen running stock or game will be shot on sight. Of the many farmers I have known who will shoot them, the meaner ones will intentionally shoot the dog in the guts so it will go home to die and bring a message to its owner. The sheriff already said all he needs to. See 'em, shoot 'em.

Not shooting to kill a dog will get you feloney animal cruality charges in the State of 'Washington. I had a problem with 2 Rotties killing & eating my chickens and for a very short period of time attempting to chasing my bull, only did it once for some reason when I lived in Spokane County. Talked to the owner several times finally called animal control and told them I was going to shoot the dogs and their reply was you are with in your rights to shoot the dogs just make sure you kill them dont wound them.

sudden valley gunner

Not shooting to kill a dog will get you feloney animal cruality charges in the State of 'Washington. I had a problem with 2 Rotties killing & eating my chickens and for a very short period of time attempting to chasing my bull, only did it once for some reason when I lived in Spokane County. Talked to the owner several times finally called animal control and told them I was going to shoot the dogs and their reply was you are with in your rights to shoot the dogs just make sure you kill them dont wound them.

I was warned/educated (?) by a sheriff deputy not to say I was going to shoot or kill a dog that was being a nuisance or aggressive to the owner that it could be construed as a threat but to tell them "I will do everything in my power to protect my self, family and property". And leave it at that. Of course this is the sue happy wet side.....so I appreciated that from the deputy.

Last edited:

amlevin

when I was growing up on a small farm, one morning we spotted two dogs running our sheep. One dog got a ewe down and was standing over her trying to get a grip on her throat. My Dad put an 30-06 180gr silvertip through the center of the dog. Wounding the dog was never an issue. The whole middle of the dog was missing. It took two trips for me to dispose of the carcass.

Wounding may be an issue with a handgun not with most rifles (except .22's maybe).

Most people today won't encounter a dog pack on a farm but in a city park or street. Just make sure that the only living thing in the line of fire is the dog.

Badger Johnson

Though I instinctively want to harm the dog, intellectually, I know it's the owner's fault.

People talk about squirting ammonia at them - that's abuse - even dilute ammonia is wrong. I don't want to harm a grizzly bear attacking me either, he's just following his instincts, but it's against my primate nature not to attack back (if armed).

You can't use Halt! on the owner, you can't yell, can't do anything without a severe backlash. I try to be calm and evade, but it's extremely difficult even with just two dogs. They can outflank you in an instant. Being a senior citizen, my skin just won't take being broken and clawed anymore. I just fought off a bad (spider?) bite that took three weeks to heal.

I'm going to try to talk sense to the owner next time I see them (there are several here that are irresponsible with their dogs, see me jumping and evading and nearly crashing on my bike but they just say 'don't worry he's harmless'. Dumb SOBs don't realize if I run over their little dog I crash and break a collarbone. :( :banghead::mad::shocker:

Hammer

That seems pretty easy to solve. One just claims they are a poor aim. Tell the owner to bring the dog back and the job can be finished.